• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Jealousy?

Oh, college. I'll be doing that next year. I was wondering though, with so many of students bringing lap tops to class, and the free wi-fi, do people just explore the vastness of the internet?

Luke said:
Oh, college. I'll be doing that next year. I was wondering though, with so many of students bringing lap tops to class, and the free wi-fi, do people just explore the vastness of the internet?

Yeah and everyone behind you in class is usually watching w/e you got going on on the laptop :D

koyok23 said:
I feel like a tool sometimes walking around with like 12-15 discs and quad shocks.
on the TX State campus course, yes... we look like fuckin morons with our big bags and quads. it's almost embarrassing to play with random people there, because you gotta explain why you're the most incredible disc golfer they've ever seen, but also that you really aren't that great.

ya know what it is? those 2-disc shirtless assholes make us look nerdy.

Luke said:

A lot of the guys in my classes played first person shooters and various MMORPG games. I always thought that was pretty disrespectful to the teacher. These are the same guys that scrambled for help when it was time for projects and tests, because they had no idea what was going on.

Take it easy your first semester. Try not to skip too much class (it's way too easy to do so and get in trouble with grades). You'll figure out what classes you can browse the web during lectures and what classes you need to pay attention in.

Ted Damson said:
Yeah but it doesn't take long for them to start carrying 4, 5, 6 discs (usually all of the latest and greatest drivers) and they decide to buy a bag of their own.

Ted Damson said:
koyok23 said:
I feel like a tool sometimes walking around with like 12-15 discs and quad shocks.
on the TX State campus course, yes... we look like fuckin morons with our big bags and quads. it's almost embarrassing to play with random people there, because you gotta explain why you're the most incredible disc golfer they've ever seen, but also that you really aren't that great.

I have seen a lot more people with big bags but yeah most people just rock like 2 or 3 discs. Last week I ran into a group I had played with at Steeplechase(kyle) before and they were thinking about starting a weekly mini on the TX State course. Should be fun to play with some better players for once :D

roman said:
Take it easy your first semester. Try not to skip too much class (it's way too easy to do so and get in trouble with grades). You'll figure out what classes you can browse the web during lectures and what classes you need to pay attention in.

listen to this man...i wish i had taken that advice like 5 years ago...

koyok23 said:
roman said:

:lol: Unfortunately I speak from experience. I basically flunked out of my first semester in college because I missed so many classes. It's way too easy to let it get out of control. I'm not the only one in my group of friends that did that. Now I tell every soon-to-be college Freshman to avoid ditching class at all costs. I wonder how many of them actually realize how serious I am :cry:

roman said:
koyok23 said:
roman said:

:lol: Unfortunately I speak from experience. I basically flunked out of my first semester in college because I missed so many classes. It's way too easy to let it get out of control. I'm not the only one in my group of friends that did that. Now I tell every soon-to-be college Freshman to avoid ditching class at all costs. I wonder how many of them actually realize how serious I am :cry:

yeah I did the same thing. Did not go to class, failed some and decided it was time to refocus my life.

Also don't have DGR forums open while you are trying to study for a midterm. my focus right now is 95% DGR to 5% Study

You gotta learn how to talk shit. I love it when people run off at the mouth in competition.

haha. it's a lot easier to give that advice when you can throw 500'+ Mike :)

i remember a few years after the majestic and that guy was like "that one didn't go very far" and your candid reply of "you try throwing a champ whippet that far" made me laugh.

roman said:
Ted Damson said:
Yeah but it doesn't take long for them to start carrying 4, 5, 6 discs (usually all of the latest and greatest drivers) and they decide to buy a bag of their own.
i hear ya. i was saying that specifically about the course on TX State campus...

many holes are on a long strip of hillside, 50 yards wide, between the main road into town and the campus. most players are rec/stoners with a couple discs and at least pants -- then every once in a while there's a dude in Double D performance gear, Huk-Sit®, Revo backpack, Star-stamped Teerex.... and to the fine people of San Marcos TX this guy looks like a doooouuuuche. Even more than the regular stoners :lol:

Ted Damson said:
roman said:
Ted Damson said:
i hear ya. i was saying that specifically about the course on TX State campus...

many holes are on a long strip of hillside, 50 yards wide, between the main road into town and the campus. most players are rec/stoners with a couple discs and at least pants -- then every once in a while there's a dude in Double D performance gear, Huk-Sit®, Revo backpack, Star-stamped Teerex.... and to the fine people of San Marcos TX this guy looks like a doooouuuuche. Even more than the regular stoners :lol:

last week I put out some smoldering leaves in the woods where a group of stoners left it to burn in the leaves...I dumped my whole water bottle on it just to put it out. that stuff drives me crazy

Sounds like you just had a sick round and he didn't like being beaten. Just blow it off, some people can't deal with losing at something they practice at for hours when a young natural like yourself comes and whomps the crap out of the course. Blow it off.

Also, I'm on my second semester as a freshman at CSU so if you have any questions about class stuff and all that jazz let me know, I have a little experience. I don't know where you plan on going but I think is probably all the same. I don't take my laptop to classes with me, although I could. It's better to start out just going with the good old notebook and taking notes. It you're comfortable with the class or whatever than you can do it as you please. Oh, definitely make use of ratemyprofessor.com, search for your college and the profs you have to read reviews on them. I had a huge jaunt going about college but I'm going to PM that to you instead, as to stay somewhat on topic.

I've never run into this problem around my neck of the woods, but either way, there is something incredibly gratifying about beating someone who gets all worked up over your "lucky" shots, or someone who won't shut up.

This is funny ... you've found related psychotic behaviors :)

Dudes who get huffy about your disc skill and assert their disc skill superiority
and
Dudes who take laptops to class and take notes and assert their superior edu-dedication
and
Dudes who take laptops to class and play games and assert their superior whimsy

Pissing Contestant -- inefficient user of noggin, wants more piss in their head game, amazingly easy to fuck with :lol:

roman said:
That reminds me of my buddy Kyle, whose parents had him throwing a Frisbee since he was a little kid. When his mom would take him for a walk, she had him play object disc golf without even knowing what disc golf was. She just thought it would be fun to set up targets for him to hit in the neighborhood - trees, mailboxes, etc. They put in a disc golf course in the area in the early 90's in the same park they played minor league baseball at, so they began to play disc golf there. Anyway, this kid has been playing for as long as he remember, and he got me and all of our friends into the sport. He never carried more than one or two discs with him (a driver and occasionally a putter) and would still get fantastic scores. Just a natural.

Anyway, I talked him into playing the Discraft Ace Race in 2007 and he ended up winning it after hitting one ace and running the chains twice. A local pro who is about 970something rated was tied with him, and they had to throw for CTP on the first hole to win it, and my buddy put it up against the pin. Most people there couldn't believe their eyes - this kid who has no discs, no bag, who they have never seen before, came out of nowhere and took it all.

He later played in a tournament, his only event ever, and both his rounds averaged out to about a 959. I think he used 4 discs total - a Wraith, a Predator, a Buzzz and a Wizard.

We had a guy do that last year at a local tournament. This guy showed up with 4 discs and a bottle of water to play in his first tournament. He shot the best score for two rounds and beat everyone in the tournament, including all the pros carrying 20-25 discs carrying the high dollar bags. Everyone was shocked.

I would have loved to see the guys face after he got through talking crap, and you nailed that ACE. That is great! :lol:

Skip ace to his nuts I say. Way to go acting professionally. Keep up the good work and go to sleep wearing a smile teaching an hole a lesson :-D