• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Jenkins/McBeth forehand (this is why we can't have nice things)

I'm somewhat confused. This would be like me telling michael Jordan circa 1995 that I could take him left handed.
I don't think so. Jordan never shot lefty other than layups or dunks.

Anhyzer = disc never changes angle
Turnover = starts hyzer and finishes anhyzer

you know i'm still confued here, you say an anhyzer never changes angles yet a turnover starts on a hyzer then finishes on an anhyzer..... sounds pretty impossible to me.

Starts hyzer, flips flat and ends straight or fades out.

Anymore questions, or you ready to throw down FH?

I've got a question: Overhand Anhyzer Tommy with a Bonopane grip... thrown into a 14mph crosswind (R->L) with an overstable putter with a mildlwobble release and 3 directional off-axis-torque (ala Dave Feldberg), released nose down (OBVIOUSLY) and then somebody slaps it 15' after release removing the wobble...

IF I throw that at 72mph downhill (over water) what kind of skip should I account for on a 2mm non-traditional Bermuda grass putting green?

I've got a question: Overhand Anhyzer Tommy with a Bonopane grip... thrown into a 14mph crosswind (R->L) with an overstable putter with a mildlwobble release and 3 directional off-axis-torque (ala Dave Feldberg), released nose down (OBVIOUSLY) and then somebody slaps it 15' after release removing the wobble...

IF I throw that at 72mph downhill (over water) what kind of skip should I account for on a 2mm non-traditional Bermuda grass putting green?

Would that be a European or African Bonopane grip?

you know i'm still confued here, you say an anhyzer never changes angles yet a turnover starts on a hyzer then finishes on an anhyzer..... sounds pretty impossible to me.
Anhyzer is just an angle, opposite of the natural fade. Basically I'm talking about a pure anhzyer(starts on anhyzer and finishes anhyzer) vs a turnover that started on hyzer and flipped over into an anhyzer finish.

The answer is 42, but Feldy doesn't throw OH, he throws skymahawks.

The answer is 42, but Feldy doesn't throw OH, he throws skymahawks.

Who said Feldy throws OH? Please review "The Jewel" Feb. 2013 for a full explanation of 3 angle off angle torque and then the 13,000 post dissertation: Wobble vs Torque as argued by Doofenshmirtz and PerryThePlatapus.

It has become known as "the thread which shall not be entered".

This was an entertaining read to say the least. As far as forehand technique is concerned, shouldn't the same rules we judge backhand by apply to forehand? By this I mean putters or "true line" discs. Simon Lizotte has awesome backhand form and subsequently he throws putters really well (and really far). Ricky and Big Jerm are known for their sidearms... Why? Cause they can shape lines with putters and mids as well as crush drivers. So I guess my question about the Mcbeth/Jenkins technique is how does that transfer into throwing putters? Is it a versatile technique, or a one trick pony? I don't think I've ever seen either throw sidearm putters, but I'm not certain it hasn't happened.

One last thought, if it is a "one-line-wonder" or "one trick pony" does that mean it isn't viable? I don't think so. It's still a hell of a trick and hard to argue with the effectiveness with which it's used.

pauly-

whats the most understable disc you feel comfortable flicking during a tournament? typically i see you fh overstables.

how far would you consistently be able to flick say a sidewinder. and how far (if you had to) flick consistently one of your mcpro aviars?

and what do you use mainly for practicing flicks? do you use neutral to understable or are you strictly overstable for flicks? and why?

thanks!!

Who said Feldy throws OH? Please review "The Jewel" Feb. 2013 for a full explanation of 3 angle off angle torque and then the 13,000 post dissertation: Wobble vs Torque as argued by Doofenshmirtz and PerryThePlatapus.

It has become known as "the thread which shall not be entered".

I've seen some nonsense on the internet before, but that thread is well up there.

Back to the original topic of discussion. First off, let me qualify myself by saying that I have a TERRIBLE sidearm. However its a shot I'm committed to learning and I'm currently working very hard at it. I borrowed the wind up motion from AJ/McB3ast. For me its a timing thing. Before I started trying to throw it that way I was all confused about the reach back and pull motion. It didn't make any sense to me and I couldn't make it work. Once I started trying the wind up motion I noticed an immediate improvement. For me it just makes more sense to have a circular throwing motion then to throw it the way Paul describes: reaching back, stopping, then pulling forward. For me it is much smoother, and as they say smooth is far. I'd also like to add that it seems to me that the pro's form sidearm is a lot like their backhanding form. Sure there may be subtle differences in style, but if you ONLY look at the throw from the point of maximum extension through the pull to the release the throws look pretty much identical aside from slight variations in angle from person to person.

As far as Hokum goes; what someone else said is right on point. Her style is EXTREMELY prone to wrist roll. I've seen her play in person and its a problem that popped up repeatedly while I was watching.

Also Wysocki does teach a big reachback/extention when he teaches sidearm, so there is that.

This thread got me going down the youtube rabbit hole a bit, and I found something pretty interesting I'd like to submit for your consideration.

Lots of windup and a HUGE reachback. Seems to be working for him pretty darn well. I'm all about copying athletic motions from other sports that translate well to disc.

edit: I just realized I have no idea how to imbed youtube videos to posts here, so I'll just link to it I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRDsAK81n90

Last edited:
aren't turnovers and Anhyzer the same thing or is this some internet lingo I'm missing.

Anhyzer is disc angle, turnover is a disc action. (You release a disc anhyzer, and it turns over into a roller.)

You can anhyzer anything, but you can't turnover a Stiletto.

... isn't there a gif of Paul throwing an anhyzer flex shot on page 1?

I'm with HUB. I'll take Paul on forehand or backhand. I am, after all, a 910 rated player.

Here you go, Pbmercil:

As far as Hokum goes; what someone else said is right on point. Her style is EXTREMELY prone to wrist roll. I've seen her play in person and its a problem that popped up repeatedly while I was watching.
I'm not saying Hokum's form is perfect, but better, she did win World's throwing vast majority FH. If Paul wasn't throwing Max's they would be going in the ground.

I'm not saying Hokum's form is perfect, but better, she did win World's throwing vast majority FH. If Paul wasn't throwing Max's they would be going in the ground.

You've got quite a pair of cojones, senora, to critique the 3x Champ's sidearm so harshly. Might want to tone down the testosterone a wee bit.