• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

JK Aviar - r-pro?

Lithicon said:
This could have come from JK herself? Perhaps she prefers this plastic, or it might have been a managerial decision. Perhaps she thinks this improves upon it instead of destroying it. It's all personal preference. But, to ultimatly say the plastic is crap, I think it serves it's purpose very well for putters.

Until you've used the old Aviar-X plastic you can't really say. That said, it is not an improvement in durability because the R-Pro does not last like the old plastic. It also loses the specialty feel and mild flex the old plastic had. Those factors are what made the disc do what it did. With those gone it no longer flies or feels like an Aviar-X. For the original intended purposes of the disc, R-Pro does it no favors. Is that to say it isn't a good disc in R-Pro? That depends, but the original surely is missed.

Although JK isn't as active playing, I'd bet she never pulls an R-Pro Aviar-X out during real play. it is why we still see pros pulling from CE stashes and old runs, etc.

steven said:
where can you get dx darts?

There are only a few places that has them, and most have been delayed. I got a call this week twice about the ones I ordered already. The shipment was delayed, and the 150 class Darts are taking even longer. They were suppose to get them a little later this week, but we'll see. Most disc golf stores I've seen don't even carry Darts period.

So, for the test, it might have to wait till next week as the DX Darts are currently on hold.

I have talked to two sources (clearwater disc golf store and disc golf values) and they have confirmed that the new JK Aviars are in fact NOT r-pro plastic. I was told that the new ones are slightly softer than the old ones and very gummy and grippy, but they are not able to be bent in half, if that gives some description of their flexibility. Disc Golf Values stated that the new orange JK's are the only color that are "r-pro-like" in terms of softness.

So now I have 2 black 175g JK's on the way....

That's good to know. The grip/stick of the R-Pro with the stiffness others prefer, sounds win/win to me.

volmed10 said:
I have talked to two sources (clearwater disc golf store and disc golf values) and they have confirmed that the new JK Aviars are in fact NOT r-pro plastic. I was told that the new ones are slightly softer than the old ones and very gummy and grippy, but they are not able to be bent in half, if that gives some description of their flexibility. Disc Golf Values stated that the new orange JK's are the only color that are "r-pro-like" in terms of softness.

So now I have 2 black 175g JK's on the way....

Dave D form innova says this......
"All JKs are big bead driver Aviars. All are some form of R-Pro. None are called R-Pro JKs. They are still called JK Aviars. The newest runs have flight numbers."

So apparently all the new JKs have some R-pro in them but none are labeled so.

Well, that's what I thought. Very funny everyone seemed so pissed off. And, all along they've always been a form of R-pro. I liked the feel of the Plastic, but didn't like the feel of the disc it's self. The current runs of R-pro plastic I love. The 175's are of course stiffer, but even the lightest 165's are stiff to some degree.

Regardless, the ones I've felt still had a slight R-Pro feel to them. Lol, so still.

so they are changing the disc and not renaming them....what is this the 50th time....why do they keep doing this?

Also the rpro is fine....but in the wind it seems floppier than dx or kc or jk even......

elnino said:
so they are changing the disc and not renaming them....what is this the 50th time....why do they keep doing this?

Also the rpro is fine....but in the wind it seems floppier than dx or kc or jk even......
Uh the plastic changed. :roll:

the new ones fly the exact same as the old ones. they r not as floppy as the 4x were and r grippy even when wet. they don't feel like rpro but they r flexible like rpro

i got an orange one that is very grippy...it is rpro like but not as super soft as rpro is

they fly just the same

i spent the other night switching between my 5x before this new run and then with my orange new one and couldn;t really tell a different

i have a blue one coming in soon....

i heard that the orange ones are better

it gets frustrating that they changed the consistency of the plastic again, but one positive thing that i look at is that they come in colors as a normal run and are easier to find in colors other than white...it helps with playing in the snow

I got a red, yellow, and orange in yesterday and went downstairs to do some putting.

Red = softest of the bunch, flexy flightplate, grippy, not the texture of 3x but every bit as soft
Orange = next softest, flexy flightplate, stiffer rim, grippy, still very soft
Yellow = I like a whole lot, flightplate is less prone to flexing, very grippy but stiff outer rim, not as soft

These definitely have an abundance of R-pro in them, I am happy I have a stock of blue and yellow regular 5x jk's because I don't feel like these will last very long. Just from putting last night (about 1hr 1/2) I have beaten them up around the rim significantly.

From putting with them again tonight I think its safe to say what I was thinking last night.

These r-pro (ish) JK's have more glide than regular stiffer 5x's. I was putting exclusively with the three JK's I mentioned in the previous post for a long time, and then switched over to my regular blues and they were dropping faster. While I see this as being pretty cool for those that have wanted to try a beaded putter but fear lost glide, this may be a good tester. I am still planning on sticking with my normal jk's for putting in the wind and in the circle but may add an r-pro for the occasional jump putt.

Latest posts