• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

John Matlack shoots 18 under at A Tier

Not this "people". Using scores to determine pars neuters the use of par where it is most important- as a design concept.

Now that's a change of direction -- par is most useful as a design concept, not as a yardstick for players. Interesting.

I also agree with the idea of throws to close range plus 2 as an appropriate way of determining par, close range being 120 feet or so for expert play. While I'm at it i believe expert play to lie somewhere below 1000 rated- probably 980 or so. I base this on the belief that "par" should be accessible to an expert player of normal physical ability through errorless play.

As Steve rightly mentioned, I am pretty much in the "get to the green" plus two camp, though I wouldn't put it quite that simply. One issue I have with saying that close range is 120' and in is this: to me, 120' is right in the middle of the NAGS zone for expert players, unless there are substantial obstacles, risk, uphill, etc. (If there were enough factors making it a real "golf shot," then it would be an approach and a putt, not two putts). I don't like the implication that a hole should be designed in a way that shots would land in the 80'-180' range on a regular basis.

Now that's a change of direction -- par is most useful as a design concept, not as a yardstick for players. Interesting.

Unless it is used appropriately as a design tool it is meaningless as a yardstick for players and scoring data would indeed be the way to an informed par.

As Steve rightly mentioned, I am pretty much in the "get to the green" plus two camp, though I wouldn't put it quite that simply. One issue I have with saying that close range is 120' and in is this: to me, 120' is right in the middle of the NAGS zone for expert players, unless there are substantial obstacles, risk, uphill, etc. (If there were enough factors making it a real "golf shot," then it would be an approach and a putt, not two putts). I don't like the implication that a hole should be designed in a way that shots would land in the 80'-180' range on a regular basis.

120 is in a NAGS zone if you are talking about a "shot" rather than a "putt" (or close range shot) where there is at least some desire to put it in rather than put it close. I basically see it as the beginning of the green. What do you define as the green for expert disc golf play?

Do people endorse the concept of setting par for an entire course first, and then going back and establishing par for each individual hole, making sure that the sum corresponds to the previously chosen total?

I don't think I would because that seems like a "cart before the horse" situation but I'm thinking about it from a designing a course from scratch frame of mind. It would be interesting if folks came up with ideal course pars per skill level for course designers to aspire to though.

There doesn't have to be an actual green to have "putting range". But you're right, the big difference is we don't expect to putt twice. I just don't see that as a reason to upend a term that provides useful information as is. I know if walk up to a tee and it says "par 3" I know I should be near the basket in 1 throw, etc. If you start allocating the SSA over 18 holes what particular information do these new pars provide?
Excellent question.

"Reach plus 2' par only tells you how long the hole is, in increments of roughly 350 to 400 feet or so, rounded down. You can get better information from the length.

Most holes are going be labelled par 3 under any method, so you won't get any more information on those. Any holes where you can reach in 1 and also expect to score a 3 won't change.

So we need to look at holes where using actual scores will produce a par other than 3.

At the short end, if all holes were "reach in 1" and SSA was 52, you'd know you'll need to get a couple of 2s to cash. Setting par based on scores will tell you which holes you can expect to get a 2 on. They are all still "reach in 1", but you'll know which holes you need to land very near, not just near. Those would be labelled par 2.

Or, if SSA is 56, but there are 6 "can't reach in 1" par 4s on the course, you'll want to know which of those par 4 holes you should expect to be able to get up and down in two from your tee drive. Those would be labeled par 3. (Many players would still hate those holes, but par would give you good information on the score to expect.)

If total par did come out to be at the ideal total - whether that happened by adding up carefully set hole pars or by allocating an SSA-sized box of parlecules (after discarding the one or two that represent errors) - here's what would happen:

Players in contention would have a good idea of how they are performing against their own pool and the other pools – without even knowing the other scores or how many holes or rounds they have finished. Everyone would always know that even par is going to put a player in the thick of the prize winners.

Each birdie would mean a player actually gained ground, and each bogey would mean a player actually lost ground.

If I may paraphrase, you are saying, "We know what we want the total par to be, so let's find the method that best gets the individual hole scores to add up properly." Is that a fair characterization of your proposals?

More like: Let's look at everything we can to get par right. They all point to the same truth, so use what you have. If all you have is length of holes, use the proper chart of hole length ranges. If you know more about the shape of the holes, use CRP. If you only have total scores, find the right total par and allocate it somehow. If you have detailed scoring records with player ratings, find what scores the prototypical 1000 rated player got enough of. If you have the winning and last cash scores from a big tournament, set total par between them – nearer to the last cash line.

If you have more than one source, weigh them against each other, and use each to fine-tune the others.

If push ever did come to shove, I'd say the hole pars trump course par. For example, take a course where a total score of 67 would place a player slightly in the money. That would be an ideal total par. But, if this was a weird course where every single hole had a scoring distribution of 30% 3s and 70% 4s, there wouldn't be any holes that I would call par 3. So, they would all be par 4s and total par would be 72.

But, it takes an unrealistic example like that to get the sum of properly set hole pars to come out much different than the ideal total par. Besides, we all know there are usually a few holes that are on the bubble as to what par should be. Getting to the ideal total par can be a tiebreaker for those. And, a total course par that is within one or two of ideal is almost as useful as the ideal – so, close enough is good enough.

However, if a method of setting hole pars can't come up with total par that is near to ideal, that is strong evidence that the method isn't properly calibrated, or isn't based on the definition of par.

You also seem, as many people do, to have a problem with cashing players consistently shooting -4 or -5 or -6 per round, and top players consistently shooting -8, -9, -10. Is that true?

If that is true, is it because that's not what happens in ball golf, where par for the weekend might earn you some nice cash? It sounds like you're saying that when you say "The winning par would have been a more credible 23 under instead of 45 under."

I did not set out with a goal of anything being more like golf. Trying to be like golf is one of the problems with the way people are setting disc golf par.

I just don't like methods that set par in a manner that is not as useful as par should be. The most useful is what the expert player expects on each hole, which happens to add up to a score that would usually cash, which happens to minimize the total differences between par and scores for contending players, which happens to be what a 1000-rated player would expect with errorless play, which happens to also be the definition in the rules.

It all ties together.

The fact that it ends up so that a winning score is 4 or 5 under per round is just a fortunate side effect. It seems like a selling point to some people, so I throw it in. If it happens to be like golf, well, OK. That will make it seem better to some, I suppose.

Winning scores relative to par are highly variable (they depend a lot on who is playing, and are the result of only a single player's performance). I haven't considered how one would build a method of setting par based on a goal for how far under par a winning score should be.

OK, back to par talk. Been thinking about this a lot, and this could all go from DGCR discussion to "Disc Golfer" article for me. Let's see where we wind up.
If push ever did come to shove, I'd say the hole pars trump course par.
That's encouraging. I'm hoping we'll all be able to get to a point where there's no pushing and no shoving. And no trumping.
For example, take a course where a total score of 67 would place a player slightly in the money. That would be an ideal total par ....
I get where you're coming from, and that approach has merit. I think you're most persuasive when you say things like
Players in contention would have a good idea of how they are performing against their own pool and the other pools – without even knowing the other scores or how many holes or rounds they have finished.
and
Each birdie would mean a player actually gained ground, and each bogey would mean a player actually lost ground.
Those are both admirable goals, and you've devised several intriguing techniques and hybrid techniques to get us there.

I have identified five places where I have problems with your approach.

First, in order to get to where every birdie means gaining ground, you are willing to live in a birdie-free world, or at least a world where large numbers of holes are unbirdie-able except by aces or fairway aces. As you know, that means a world where large numbers of disc golfers are unwilling to accept your definition of par.
We should be able to get more consensus than that. We have to.

Second, any amount of "retro-fitting" individual holes par to serve the "greater good" will get very sticky:
Besides, we all know there are usually a few holes that are on the bubble as to what par should be. Getting to the ideal total par can be a tiebreaker for those.
That would mean that we would proclaim a certain "bubble hole" to be a Par Three on a particular course. But the exact same hole might need to be a Par Four on another course. That kind of situational flexibility just doesn't seem acceptable when you're looking at any reasonable definition of par, including the one you cite: "what a 1000-rated player would expect with errorless play, which happens to also be the definition in the rules."

Which leads me to my third problem. That word – "expect' – is trouble because it gets into a player's head. When our friend Bubba Watson steps up to a par five, I'm betting he expects to birdie it; depending on the hole, he might even expect to eagle it. But it's still a par five. So I'm assuming that the definition really is a statistical measure, not a psychological measure, and that what it really means is that par is the score WE expect the TYPICAL expert to get. Would you agree?

As you might guess, I would rather focus on the second part of the USGA's definition of par, which is "errorless play" plus two strokes. That definition lets you get par with errorless play and birdie with exceptional play. But the "plus two strokes" part doesn't work for you, so let's see how we might get there.

Before we do that, here's another question. I'll use the example of Nantucket, since it's appropriate to the discussion, and since I've used it now in two "Disc Golfer" articles, so some people will be familiar. The course has Blue tees, and I have set par at 68. In three years that they've had PDGA tournaments, here's how a round of 68 was rated: 968 in 2013, 950 in 2014, and 955 in 2015. When the course is designed for 950-rated players, and a par round is rated 950, does that tell you that par is about where it's supposed to be, or that less important than other measures?

Follow-up questions: In order to cash, a Pro had to shoot: -3 in 2013, -5 in 2014, and -2 in 2015 (for two rounds). Assuming the weather was essentially the same, which is my recollection, do you consider those numbers to be consistent ? (For a for-round event, that range would be from -4 to -10.) If that range is not small enough to be consistent, what would that do to par calculations?

It seems to me that a high correlation between ratings and par would be persuasive and informative, and since the data used for in calculating ratings involves tens of thousands of players and hundreds of thousands of rounds, it should have more validity than any other data we have. Am I missing something?

Fourth on my list: using the cash line to help determine par has several additional problems, the first of which you identify:
Winning scores relative to par are highly variable (they depend a lot on who is playing, and are the result of only a single player's performance).
The cash line, of course, also depends on who is playing. In the case of Nantucket 2016, suppose that, due to a rare tornado, the Lake Superior Open, and A-Tier in Wisconsin, gets cancelled. So 10 touring pros, all rated above 1020, pile into somebody's van, drive all night, and get on the ferry to Nantucket at 7:30 am. Meanwhile, a busload of two dozen 950-rated pros from Maine get a flat tire and miss the last ferry. Now the cash line becomes -12 instead of somewhere between -2 and -5.

And what if the first year they hold a PDGA tournament it's windy and rainy: what do you do now? Use hole length to determine par and tell the local players you're going to change all the tee signs next year after you've got tournament scores? And let them know it might change the following year, after you get to crunch those scores? There's got to be a better way.

Now here is the fifth, and perhaps the biggest, problem I have with using scoring data to determine par. If I grabbed a bunch of OB rope -- as many TD's apparently love to do these days -- and put some on Hole #1 in Nantucket, what would happen? It's a 619' dogleg par four with a clear fairway about 20-25' wide, then scattered trees on each side for maybe another40' on each side, and then thick rough right and mostly open left. If you miss the intended line, chances are you'll have a good chance to recover. But suppose I laid down rope so that the in-bounds area was a uniform 30' wide, which is fairly generous. I'd even make it 80' around the basket. I'd have people go OB on their drive because they couldn't quite keep it within the 30'. I'd have people whose drive hit a tree and kicked OB. Same thing would happen on second shots and some third shots. The scoring average would easily go up by a third of a stroke (probably a lot more).

I could easily -- without being unreasonable – put down OB on every hole, raise the average score per hole by .3, thereby raising the average round by more than 5 strokes, and moving the cash line by 22 strokes in a four-round event. And here's the key: I have not changed the score an expert would card with errorless play on a single hole. Not by a hundredth of a stroke. Not even a hundredth of a stroke for the entire round. All your par methods would establish different pars for that OB-licious version of the course, but I would think it would be clear to most people that the par has not changed on any hole.

Errorless play with no OB means that my drive stays within the original 20' fairway, and my second shot lands in the circle. That does not change, no matter how many players go OB, no matter how many take a 5 or a 6 or a 7, no matter how high the scoring average goes or where the cash line moves to. Par on that hole does not change if we're talking about errorless play by an expert.

So there are my five problems. Looking forward to hearing any replies.

Last edited:
PS: Just re-read my post and realize that any mention of the cash line moving by X strokes for a 2-round event or a 4-round event is irrelevant. Please feel free to ignore those digressions.

I could easily -- without being unreasonable – put down OB on every hole, raise the average score per hole by .3, thereby raising the average round by more than 5 strokes, and moving the cash line by 22 strokes in a four-round event. And here's the key: I have not changed the score an expert would card with errorless play on a single hole. Not by a hundredth of a stroke. Not even a hundredth of a stroke for the entire round. All your par methods would establish different pars for that OB-licious version of the course, but I would think it would be clear to most people that the par has not changed on any hole.

Errorless play with no OB means that my drive stays within the original 20' fairway, and my second shot lands in the circle. That does not change, no matter how many players go OB, no matter how many take a 5 or a 6 or a 7, no matter how high the scoring average goes or where the cash line moves to. Par on that hole does not change if we're talking about errorless play by an expert.

I agree. This is why scoring average is not an appropriate way to set par. A very easy (possibly stupid) or very difficult (possibly stupid) par 3 is still a par 3.

John- What do you consider to be "close range" in a "number of shots plus 2 from close range" method of setting par?

Great job on the 18 under round in the OP.

I think it's interesting that some folks on this thread have referred to a round that's 18 under par as "a perfect round." I've seen it before in other threads too. If 18 under is "a perfect round" what should we call a round that's 19 under par? Or 23 under par?

John- What do you consider to be "close range" in a "number of shots plus 2 from close range" method of setting par?

120 is in a NAGS zone if you are talking about a "shot" rather than a "putt" (or close range shot) where there is at least some desire to put it in rather than put it close. I basically see it as the beginning of the green. What do you define as the green for expert disc golf play?

John, I'm sorry I didn't respond to your original question, which I have added above.

Here's the short answer: we're going to ultimately agree for the most part, because I have always believed in +2. I'm not really advocating the Close Range method, which Lowe (aka Olorin) has defined as: "Close Range is the distance from which first-class players can get "up and down" in two about 90% of the time." https://sites.google.com/site/discgolfcoursedesign/Home/par/CRpar

I think of Lowe as the Godfather of CR Par, so someone please correct me if there's a better source. Getting up and down in two 90% of the time is the very definition of NAGS, so if you're asking about a hole where a good drive puts a Gold player 120' from the pin, from where he'll get up and down 90% of the time, then I'm going to say that hole has a problem. So when it comes to par, I would rather use a definition that doesn't incorporate the NAGS zone. To me, that definition makes it sounds like the NAGS zone is appropriate, or even desirable. I hope that makes sense.

Right now I'm working on understanding Steve's positions, and the positions of anyone else who cares to chime in (including the gentleman who e-mailed me privately about this topic), and I'm keeping my mind as open as I can. I'd prefer not to go into solutions until I feel like I've understood all sides of the issue and where the challenges are. But I appreciate your questions, and I hope I answered them OK.

By the way, your separation of "shot" vs. "putt" is intriguing. My thought right now is that it probably doesn't matter whether some players go for it from 120', because the odds of them succeeding so are small. And if some of them go long and and miss the comeback, they're going to raise the scoring average for the hole but not affect par. for that hole.

So there are my five problems. Looking forward to hearing any replies.

It might help to start with what we mean by par, why we want to have par, and what we want it to be and do. Before arguing about how it's calculated.

Is it to be the score on each hole that tells a player whether he's gaining or losing ground against the rest of the field, or the leaders?

Is it to be a portable measure, so that a round of "6 under par" means roughly the same thing, regardless of course?

Is it to most fairly assess penalties for missed holes?

Is it something else?

It always seems to me that arguments about calculating "par" are often like arguments in 2 different languages, because the opponents have different ideas of what uses they're going to make of "par" when they calculate it.

Maybe it's time to really jump out of the box and use decimal pars. At this point, you can only score in integer units. But scoring averages whether used directly or close range par which statistically is closer to 1.5 not 2 throws from close range are only near integers on a handful of holes.

Two options. First would be to simply use 0.5 where appropriate. The shorter courses with quite few par 2.5s could more closely add up to par close to the SSA on the course when it falls below 54 (which may be more than half our courses when you count short tee layouts). A par 2.5 also finesses the Par 2 controversy because a player would still be able to get a birdie 2 on those holes.

Second more interesting option avoids use of decimals. Many designers and players already refer to holes as Easy, Tough or Normal Par 3s, 4s or 5s. Consider using par notation that indicates these characteristics. Par would be indicated in ascending order as 3-, 3, 3+, 4-, 4, 4+, 5-, 5, 5+, etc. A + or - is essentially 1/3 of a throw in either direction. If it might bug people that a course has a total par when added up of say 52+, the TD or designers would either round it off or adjust the par on one hole so the pluses and minuses net out.

We're in the age of computers, the web and apps. Par can be real numbers rather than just the integers used for scoring. Players still record and add up integer scores. Real number Pars can work that much better as a reference for players on a hole-by-hole basis.

I have identified five places where I have problems with your approach.

Rather than repeat all you wrote, I'll just add a title in reference to what you wrote.

[living in an undirdie-able world]

(Had to modify that a bit to fit the Madonna song running through my head. Oops, sorry, now you caught the ear-worm, too.)

You're saying we should not call unbirdie-able holes unbirdie-able, because we don't like unbirdie-able holes?

Take a hole where no player gets a 2, and 90% of the players get a 3. On that hole it is impossible to gain a throw on the field. It should be called a par 3, because if you get a 3, you haven't gained a throw. Calling it a par 4 doesn't change the fact that a 3 won't let you gain on the field.

Whatever method we use to set par, it won't change the holes where it is impossible to gain a throw on the field. Unless….

We use a method where unbirdie-able holes are properly labeled so that course designers and TDs decide to make them easier (or enough harder to justify a higher par) rather than just slapping too high of a par on them to placate players.

You made me wonder how many holes actually are unbirdie-able. I have data on 237 holes that had enough 1000- and higher-rated players to compute gold par from the scoring distribution. It turns out that 37 of these holes would be unbirdie-able using my favorite method of setting par. Of these, 19 would be par 2s, 16 would be par 3s, 1 par 4 and 1 par 5.

[Identical hole being Par Three on a particular course and Par Four on another course.]

I've never seen an identical hole on two courses. How often does that happen? If it does, how often would those holes both be on the bubble par-wise? If they were, how often would they both be most nearly on the bubble of all holes on the courses? If they were, how often would those two courses both need any adjustment? If they did, how often would they need a different adjustment?

If the situation ever arises and it bothers you, then just make those two holes have the same par. Having a total par within 1 of ideal is quite acceptable. There is enough wiggle room that no single hole's par would be dictated by any goal for total par.

[what it really means is that par is the score WE expect the TYPICAL expert to get.]

The definition doesn't say which particular expert, so we're free to ask one with typical skills and realistic expectations.

[the USGA's definition of par]

Completely irrelevant to disc golf. This is a different game, with different rules, a different strategy, and different expectations. Our definition could have easily said "two putts" (because putt is defined in the rules) but it doesn't. I assume there is a good reason for that.

The PDGA definition of par, and the methods I've laid out, also get you par with errorless play and birdie with exceptional play. Two putts is often one-error play. One putt is not often "exceptional" putting, even at my skill level.

[When the course is designed for 950-rated players, and a par round is rated 950, does that tell you that par is about where it's supposed to be, or that less important than other measures?]

That tells me Blue par is about where it's supposed to be (probably about 2 too high, but close enough).

What bothers me is that it is not appropriate to use Blue par for the Open players. Just like it would not be appropriate to use Red par for the Advanced field.

[Is -3 in 2013, -5 in 2014, and -2 in 2015 (for two rounds). Consistent enough for par?]

Yes, I think so. Par works well enough within a range of +/-2 per 18 holes.

[Ratings and Par]

Ratings will always be a better indication of player performance than the score relative to par. That doesn't mean we shouldn't make par as useful as possible. Par has different uses and is useful in different contexts than ratings.

I don't think the ratings system can get to the point where you would be able to look at your scorecard and see how much your rating will go down if you get a 4 on this hole. But accurate par can give you some idea.

I do advocate using round rating data and players with known ratings to help guide par, when available. I include the method of using "contending players at big tournaments" because par is defined without mention of ratings, so there should be some method of setting it without ratings. (Besides, some people hate ratings and will not use any method of setting par that refers to ratings.)

But, if everyone set total Open par so that an even par round in ordinary conditions would be rated at least 1000, that would be great.

[Using the cash line to help determine par]

For the large tournaments, the mix of contending players that show up is surprisingly steady. If each of these tournaments used par based on the top 40% of players at their own tournament, then par at other tournaments would act very similar. Not as precise as using ratings information, of course, but good enough for a player to get a good idea of how well he or she is doing during the round.

Also, par should be above the cash line, in the "center mass" of all players who cash. This depends on all the contending players' scores, and therefore is even more stable than the cash line.

Smaller tournaments often don't have enough highly rated players to get enough data to set par based just on player scores. For these, an extrapolation from actual scores is the best we can do.

[Weather would cause par to change because scores would change.]

Using actual scores is a tool to use to help set par. It is not a replacement for the definition or the TD's judgement.

Part of the definition is "under ordinary weather conditions". So, if it's windy and rainy (and if that isn't ordinary weather conditions), you should not use those scores to set par.

However, even if you did, the best methods of setting par based on scores would be fairly insensitive to unusual weather, because par is not average. Average scores will go up because more players will get higher scores, but many players will still get the low scores.

Often, there will be enough players who still get the low scores, so that calculated par would come out no different on most, if not all, holes.

Also, it is unlikely that bad weather would persist all through every round at a tournament. So, these methods stand up well, even if you don't take the proper step of excluding rounds with unusual weather.

[OB should not change par.]

Yes, in general, more OB should not change par.

(A lot of people don't agree with this, because they think par is average. Which it is not. So, anyone who has heard me repeat "par is not average" every chance I get may find the following to be unexpected.)

There are ways where OB does legitimately change par, because errorless play doesn't mean best possible outcome, and is tempered by the requirement that it be common enough to be expected.

1. A strange example is where going OB is not an error. Take a short hole with the target placed on a 10 foot deep strip of in-bounds in the other side of a lake. The smart play would be to run at the basket and accept the usual drop-in circle 3 from the edge of the OB behind the basket. In that case, going OB is not an error, but a strategic use of the rule.

A similar situation could occur with an extremely generous forward DZ.

2. OB can change how players play the hole; the errorless tactic may be different because of the OB. Perhaps the ideal landing zone is now 75 feet farther away from the target because players adjust their throw to reduce the chance of very punitive OB. Or, perhaps players are driving with putters. In fact, if OB does NOT change how the player approaches the hole, it is kind of a weak use of OB.

3. The presence of OB can increase the scores by enough that expert players no longer expect a certain score. Example: If 50% of the 100-rated players are managing to make a 3 on a hole, and you add OB that catches 80% of the players, then only 10% of players will get a 3. That's not enough to continue calling 3 an expected score, so par should be raised from 3 to 4.

If you raise the average score by 0.3 on all holes, there are bound to be some holes that will be pushed over the threshold to a higher par. Probably 5 of them.

(This is similar to one of the criticisms of close range par. In general, the intended flight paths should be used to set par. But, if an intended flight path is so unlikely or unforgiving that hardly anyone actually plays it that way, then it shouldn't be the basis for par. With that modification in mind, then CRP will also increase the total par on your OB-licious course by about 5 throws.

And, while we're on the CR Par subject, I think Close Range is where a player can expect to get up and down in 2, i.e. a little more than half the time. Which can be about 280 feet for Open players.)

P.S. I can't wait to see what acronym you come up with that spells out JOHN MATLACK in honor of the great round that started all this.

Chuck, let's get the first significant digit right before we try for the second.

I am in the camp of those who believe setting pars for individual holes is of little value to serious disc golfers, at least given the way the vast majority of courses are designed.

I know we are not trying to be ball golf, but they are only sport that has that concept, so we have to be clear on why it mostly works there. The two biggest reasons is the relative lack of obstacles (a defined fairway on every hole), and different sets of tees which even the playing field enough so that players of different skill levels can have more similar scoring expectations. Add in the handicapping system, course ratings, and relatively consistent design standards and you're mostly set.

Disc golf has problems on all of these fronts because we have mostly a free-play, any course is better than no course mindset. Ball golf can't afford to do that - while there are still a decent number of "par 72" courses that a touring pro would average double-digits under par, a lot of those kinds of courses aren't doing well or have closed because most people would rather play a high quality, challenging layout where shooting par means something. Based on your handicap, you know what your target score is on every hole, especially since at quality courses there are few, if any, easy pars for the typical 18-handicapper.

You just don't have that in disc golf for entire courses. There may be a course or two out there with 3-4 sets of tees on each hole that properly address the differences in distance between gold, blue, and red level players, but it certainly is not the norm. Also, I find it odd that anyone would suggest that par would have some relationship to cashing in a tournament - that would only be sensible if there was a consistent distribution of players each tournament as I believe John suggested.

To me, the only people for which par is useful in disc golf is the newer players - it gives them something to reference and bumps up their fun factor a few points. Unfortunately, disc golf doesn't even do that very well with courses like Winton Woods and others that have 200' par 4s. How many of us has heard a new player talk about how much under par they were on a course and you know they are basing it on something that makes no sense? Doesn't that tell us that we shouldn't even try to have serious discussions about par at this point?

Let's start simple - have whole number pars, base it on distance only with some leeway for difficulty in the design, and move on. Who cares if a round is -16, -18, or -20? Tell me what the round was rated (and yes, I know about the "flaws" in the current rating system) and let me see the course so I can appreciate how tough it was to shoot the total score that we're talking about. Ratings and SSA are meaningful, par is not.

Think about it - when talking about a hot round people don't say "he birdied #4!" - they say "he had a 3 on #4!" because if you hear "he birdied" the first question you are going to ask is what par you considered the hole to be...

gdub58:

Yes, what people have called "par" is meaningless in some cases. But, there is a meaningful par. The World tour and Pro tour have discovered this.

We're having these discussions so that all methods of setting par become close enough in results so that all methods produce meaningful par. And, so that those methods become widely used.

We can extend the meaningfulness to all players of all skill levels by assigning the appropriate skill-level based pars (Gold, Blue, White, Red, Green). Label the tees this way, and also use the appropriate level of par for each division in a tournament. Gold for Open, Blue for Advanced, etc. We don't need handicaps, slope ratings, or all the different tees be the same par.

Yes, a meaningful par would stay constant no matter who shows up at a tournament. That's why I advocate setting par based on the scores of a 1000-rated player. The cash line will not always be the same amount over par for most tournaments, because most tournaments don't get many 1000+ rated players.

Fortunately, you will see that for the very large tournaments, the mix of players who show up and cash is similar enough from tournament to tournament that the cash line won't change much, relative to a stable par.

My local course is suggested a 65 par based on what the posts say at each hole. We however play everything a par 3 and doing so my personal best is -8 there which would be -19. There have been people who threw -14 down from what I have heard and someone like McBeth or Lizotte could easily do -13 to -15 fairly easily.

I think that is why they use ratings and update it like they do since so many courses are just way different. Such as another course that is near me has 9 holes with 2 tee offs per pin and my best there is a +4(58) not sure what that relates to in on sign. I know it is at least on long tees a 36 for 9 holes so not sure how the shorts tees follow up. Anymore I just play everything a par 3 and determine my score at the end that way.

Latest posts