• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Jomez Pro speed and distance.

I'm loving the addition of speed and distance on the Jomez productions.

Wondering how they are doing it, anyone know ?

I noticed the distance but not the speed. They've been naming the disc being thrown with it's flight numbers even. I guess it's too much info at one time for me.

I'm guessing a Bushnell rangefinder for the distance. Since it's a sponsor. CCDG has been doing the speeds for a few years now. I think it's just a radar gun like baseball uses. All nice touches though.

I noticed the distance but not the speed. They've been naming the disc being thrown with it's flight numbers even. I guess it's too much info at one time for me.

I'm guessing a Bushnell rangefinder for the distance. Since it's a sponsor. CCDG has been doing the speeds for a few years now. I think it's just a radar gun like baseball uses. All nice touches though.

Watch when the disc lands. They replace the disc and flight numbers with the distance and speed.

Another cool thing that is shown sometimes is the distance from basket on long throws/putts. I've only seen it happen a few times and it is when the disc goes in from over 100 feet away.

I'm loving the addition of speed and distance on the Jomez productions.

Wondering how they are doing it, anyone know ?

If you watch closely there's a dude with a beard at the most recent tourney standing behind the thrower with what must be a radar gun and a clipboard to jot down all the release speeds.

It is fantastic.

I would really love to see more of that in FPO covers, since that more closely aligns with my skillset.

It is fantastic.

I would really love to see more of that in FPO covers, since that more closely aligns with my skillset.

Unfortunately, Jomez doesn't do the FPO coverage and I'm not sure if they 'trademarked' supplying that information....like the FlightFollow....no one else does that (that I'm aware of).

Or maybe the others just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Or maybe the others just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Radar is definitely CCDG. They've been doing that since 18 atleast. I think they did distance last year, which is before jomez. CCDG also did a follow flight (i think it was coast to coast?) But that was about 2 years after and they did it for like 3 tourneys or something small like that.

That dude with a beard looks to be Jonathan Gomez, Jomez himself.

Agreed. You beat me to it, Rastnav.

I found myself wondering how much he prefers taking speed readings to lugging around a camera and tripod.

Good for them and how the different teams push each other to improve. I don't have the time to watch live coverage, so post-produced is still very much my go-to.

Pretty sure they just pull random #'s out of a hat...:|

It's a nice add, for sure. Gotta give props to CCDG for setting the bar on that. :thmbup:

Competition's a good thing. Seems Jomez, GK Pro, Gatekeeper and CCDG have all gotten better over the past few years, and between the four of them, usually provide a nice cross section of most of the players most of us want to watch.

One thing I'll say for Jomez: they're almost always the 1st to put out the previous day's round. Pretty impressive when you consider the cards they cover are often the last to finish the round. They do the editing, commentary, follow flight, slomez/nomez, speed/distance, and get it out to watch while we're eating breakfast in front of the TV. Someone's staying up late to get that done.

These post pro companies have become more than just DG fans with cameras. Turning stuff around that quickly with good quality is a testament to good operational mgt.

Some might point out it doesn't match the network coverage of live golf, but c'mon man, there's no way you can compare the budget and resources between the two sports.

No doubt in my mind that quality coverage of the sport could be a useful tool in selling course proposals to Parks & Rec boards.

Special props crews lugging equipment on these monster courses, especially the ones with tons of elevation.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :hfive:

Special props crews lugging equipment on these monster courses, especially the ones with tons of elevation.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :hfive:

even watching them sprint around the preserve was impressive

they are lugging around these cameras on big ass sticks and get into great positioning very quickly and some pros like simon step up and throw whereas they could take their lunch break waiting for nikko to putt

and then i saw the final product less than 24 hours later on youtube

my opinion of "paying to watch" live changed and even for post pro

theyre doing the dirty work and delivering a helluva product

That dude with a beard looks to be Jonathan Gomez, Jomez himself.

Oh I'm quite familiar with J. Gomez. In round 2 (the round I had watched before commenting,) there's a guy in all black with a more ginger beard who looks to be doing that job.

definitely like seeing the distance and speed of the drives during the round, keep up the good work!

What is making both DGN and post-pro great is pure dedication. Those guys from the field to the production are working their butts off. They must be beyond exhausted post tournament.

I'm glad to read all the positive comments.

As far as comparison to Bgolf coverage, that's magnitudes of money difference.

Agreed. You beat me to it, Rastnav.

I found myself wondering how much he prefers taking speed readings to lugging around a camera and tripod.

Good for them and how the different teams push each other to improve. I don't have the time to watch live coverage, so post-produced is still very much my go-to.

Jomez is certainly doing well, revenue wise, these days, and have definitely plowed a lot of that back into coverage. I'm wondering if he is off the camera simply to help direct coverage over the course of the filming. Bot having to worry about getting position for the next camera angle is going to let you get a better overall take on things

Although, in the background of the last practice round, he looked a little thin in his clothes and I half wonder if he's dealing with some sort of illness or injury. Absolute idle speculation on my part, but ain't none of us getting any younger.

What is making both DGN and post-pro great is pure dedication. Those guys from the field to the production are working their butts off. They must be beyond exhausted post tournament.

I'm glad to read all the positive comments.

As far as comparison to Bgolf coverage, that's magnitudes of money difference.

Jomez had follow flights before ball golf did, I believe. Post produced vs. live makes for an apples and oranges comparison, but that's sort of the point. Even without the money aspect, comparing these things isn't like for like. For example, doing live follow flights on disc flight would almost assuredly be easier using a completely visual AI based system, as opposed to tracking launch conditions.

No real point here, just early morning coffee thoughts.