• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

JT's new player bag

JTdisc

Eagle Member
Just getting started, couple rounds only so far. 30s male RHBH, some ultimate experience.

Distance Driver: (I just practice with these on the soccer field, don't use during a round)
Monarch 172 - for rollers, tomahawks
Valkyrie DX 171
Valkyrie DX 167 (found, probably beat in)

Fairway Driver:
Leopard DX 150 - getting better with this all the time, some nice "S" flights, using to tee of with for some longer holes

Mid Range:
Shark DX 171
Shark DX 168 - my "go to" for most shots off the tee and anywhere a putter won't reach
Shark DX 150
Wolf DX 175 - understable, goes pretty damn straight for me right now
Buzzz D 168 - haven't thrown yet
Stratus D 160 - haven't thrown yet

Putter
Dart DX 172 - approach shots
Aviar P&A 175 - putting
Aviar P&A 150 - too light, don't use

I'm thinking about ordering a Teebird, Eagle or a heavier Leopard (167 or so), to use as my driver. I wouldn't use all of them, just see which I like the best and make that my primary driver.

I probably have way too many varieties of mids right now. I feel most comfortable with the shark, haven't thrown the discraft models yet, and sort of haphazardly try the wolf from time to time.

Any advice about must-have additions to the bag, or discs I should drop? Good idea to try out an Eagle or Teebird? Will I have use for understable mids like Stratus or Wolf?

Thanks,
JT

I think adding a heavier dx eagle and leopard would be good (in the mid 160s). Keep your skarks and aviars, that would be a solid set up for starting out.

Thanks. Ordered an Eagle and Leopard. I think right now I'm going to mostly focus on the Sharks and Aviars and then work the Leopard and Eagle in slowly for longer holes.

Wordgie said:
My first golf disc was a 165ish DX Valk. Great disc for learning. Keep that and work with it.

Yeah, I'm still pretty inconsistent with it right now but when I do hit it, it's very nice. I think this is going to be one of my favorites down the road.

Update - playing for about 2 weeks now. Field practice every other day, 2-3 rounds a week on the course. Distance-wise I'm getting my leopards out to 250, (although left to right accuracy is still a little spotty, probably due to inconsistent release timing). Throwing a mix of RHBH (straight and R to L holes) and RHFH (for L to R holes)

My current bag when playing:

Fairway Driver:
DX Leopard 167 - go-to driver
DX Leopard 150 - not really sure when to use this or the 167, right now using this for downwind shots.
DX Eagle-X 168 - forehand driver for left to right shots

Mid Range:
DX Shark 168 - my favorite disc for most shots.
DX Shark 150 - uphill shots? again, not sure when to use the light weight discs.
DX Wolf 175 - understable, for straight shots and anhyzers

Putter:
JK Pro Aviar 174 - putting
DX Aviar P&A 175 - approach shots

Other discs in my collection, not sure when to use or when to put them in the bag:
Champ Monarch 172 - rollers, can't get this to fly level at all.
DX Valkyrie 171 - thinking about adding these next as a step up from the leopard, distance-wise
DX Valkyrie 167 (found)
Z Stalker 170 - again might use as a step up from the leopard, seems quite similar to the Eagle-X
DX Roc 173 - everyone else is doing it, why shouldn't I? Overlaps quite a bit with the Shark and Buzz
DX Shark 171 - waiting for my current Shark to get beat in before using this
D Buzzz 168 - alternate midrange, trying to beat this in a bit
Z Buzzz 175 - durable midrange when there are lots of trees to hit. Could pair this up with the D Buzzz once the D gets beat in.
Dart DX 172 - don't like the domey shape of this, probably won't ever throw
D Challenger - Might use for short drives or approaches, feels identical to the Aviar P&A.
DX Aviar P&A 150 - too light, don't use

Right now I think my basic bag is pretty good for a beginner still learning to throw. Not sure when to start working in or trying out other discs, like Shark vs Roc vs Buzzz. Stick with the leopards for driving or try moving up to a Stalker or Valkyrie? Stick with one putter or have a mix for short drives, approaches and putts?

I mostly play at Oxbow Falls NY, which is a technical course with shorter holes (less than 300' average), very narrow fairways, plenty of trees in the fairways, and sharp turns. Getting huge distance isn't nearly as important as having your shots go where you want them.

Any insights, suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

I'd give more time to see which discs feel and work the best and the Stalker is shorter than the Leo and the Valk faster and harder fading. But a DX Valk breaks in fast so it may become straight and long enough soon. Otherwise at that distance the Leo is the only driver you should need now. Leo is pretty good way farther too although it need hyzer initially to flip to flat much past 250'.

Current Bag

Fairway Driver:
Leopard DX 167 - main driver, might not be needed with Xpress and Cyclone
Eagle-X DX 168 - forehand driver for left to right shots, might replace with the cyclone.
Xpress X 168 - Using this more and more for drives. Holds an anny nicely, or straight when thrown flat. Straight for sidearm also.
Cyclone ESP 165 - Behaves a little overstable. Good for R to L shots or nice S curves when thrown Anny.

Mid Range:
Shark DX 168 - stable mid
Wolf DX 175 - understable, rollers

Putter:
Aviar P&A DX 175 - putting
Challenger D - approach shots

Other discs in my collection:
Monarch Champ 172 - Not sure about this, behaves overstable for me
Valkyrie DX 171 - not as consistent with this as my fairway drivers
Stalker Z 170
Teebird Champion 168
River Opto 167
Roc DX 173
Shark DX 171
Buzzz D 168
Buzzz Z 175
Dart DX 172
JK Pro Aviar 175

Was given a few new discs (in italics). Really liking the premium plastics. Had some nice shots with the Xpress and Cyclone during my last round, and it might make me phase out the Leopard and Eagle for the time being.

Still trying to keep my "playing" bag simple without anything too fast. When practicing on an open field I throw them all, but on the course I try to simplify a bit.

Latest posts