• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Jump Putt Questions

Some really great stuff here all, glad I asked. Thanks as always for your insight.

Reading through, and attempting to interpret the PDGA rules can give me a headache. No excuse for not reading regularly. Your comments help reinforce my understanding of the rules.

Ok, some takeaways

The circle 32.8 feet (30 meters) is the magic distance. If your mini is inside that ring, no forward movement is allowed (i.e., falling putt - I have been called on that before)

Outside the ring - usually a group consensus prior to the shot can confirm if it's close) you are ok to let your momentum carry you over your mark providing the disc is released first.

Thanks again all, that about answers all of my questions

MLow

Tee measurements will go metric when pot starts being sold in tenths of kilos. Meanwhile, 10 long paces usually settles the jump putt distance for most situations.

Some really great stuff here all, glad I asked. Thanks as always for your insight.

Reading through, and attempting to interpret the PDGA rules can give me a headache. No excuse for not reading regularly. Your comments help reinforce my understanding of the rules.

Ok, some takeaways

The circle 32.8 feet (30 meters) is the magic distance. If your mini is inside that ring, no forward movement is allowed (i.e., falling putt - I have been called on that before)

Outside the ring - usually a group consensus prior to the shot can confirm if it's close) you are ok to let your momentum carry you over your mark providing the disc is released first.

Thanks again all, that about answers all of my questions

MLow
So if you don't mark the disc that could be the difference between a jump putt or not.

It could have been worse, they could have written the whole thing using the metric alphabet.

"... And finally, the so-called "trash letters", or P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, and Z, will be condensed to this easily recognizable dark character."

"... And finally, the so-called "trash letters", or P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, and Z, will be condensed to this easily recognizable dark character."
Does this dark character look like this?

prince_symbol2.jpg

Not the Metric System

First things first, there is no metric time. Both the metric system and english system use seconds, minutes, hours, days, etc for measuring time; however, some countries will write the date as 27 April 2009 instead of April 27 2009. This is not to say that you couldn't write 1000 seconds as a kilosecond if you wanted to, but you could also write it as 1 thousand seconds. kilo is just the metric way to say thousand, like deci is the metric way to say tenths.

I agree that the reason the rules use metric is to make it more internation, and a good point was made, that there is nothing in the rules as to which units to use for measuring the length of a hole. I would surmize that in europe the hole length is measured in meters.

I have not seen a good use for hectometers, but hectaacre is used by the Department of Agriculture to measure to amount of corn, hay, wheat, etc that we have in the united states (i.e. there 14,000 hectaacres of wheat in the US). I made the number up; I don't know how many hectaacres of wheat are in the US, since winter wheat has not been planted yet.

Another good point was made that 1 meter is 3.2808 feet or 39.37 inches or 1.0936 yards, so we have a habit or rounding off to the nicer numbers like 3 feet for the 1 meter ob rule, and 10 feet for the 3 meter hight rule, or 30 feet for the 10 meter putting rule.

Last edited:
First things first, there is no metric time. Both the metric system and english system use seconds, minutes, hours, days, etc for measuring time; however, some countries will write the date as 27 April 2009 instead of April 27 2009. This is not to say that you couldn't write 1000 seconds as a kilosecond if you wanted to, but you could also write it as 1 thousand seconds. kilo is just the metric way to say thousand, like deci is the metric way to say tenths.

I really was just kidding but I'm afraid there is a system of metric time...actually it's known as Decimal Time.

I really was just kidding but I'm afraid there is a system of metric time...actually it's known as Decimal Time.
A lot of workplaces (mine included) use decimal time with regards to payroll hours, at least within each hour. Each "minute" at my job is actually 36 seconds in standard time since there are 3600 seconds in standard hour.

Since no one has answered all the questions here's my take:

1)What is your rule of thumb for you when deciding whether to go ahead and green light on the jump putt in a tournament? i.e., do you make sure that you're out at least 40' so there's no question?, do you ask fellow players what they think before you take your shot?, etc.

I carry a tape measure with me but if it looks to be over 32 feet then I go for it and whip out the tape measure if it's called for a foot fault. After a lot of putting practice you start to know how far away 32 feet is without the tape.

2) Consider a scenario: My marker is at least 50' out from the basket. I want to try a jump putt. I assume that I take a couple steps back behind my mini, size up the shot, take the shot ensuring that my jump comes to rest behind my mini at the conclusion of the shot. I assume that if my jump goes past the mini it's a foot fault and a penalty - is that right? or, because it's outside of the 30' ring is it like a tee shot where as long as the disc crosses the front plane of the teebox before your feet it's clean?

Your supporting point must be within 30 cm (or about 11 inches) when you release the disk. This means the scenario above is not good and will give you a foot fault.

To correctly jump putt, you place your foot within 30 cm behind the marker along the line of play, size up the shot, bend your knees, spring foward, releasing the disc before your feet leave the ground and follow through with the jump. You will be jumping past your mini if done right.

3) I played with a rather impressive prodigy at a tournament last fall. This kid had one hell of a jump putt. On one hole I remember he took a shot at a basket. He was shooting downhill and I assume was out 30'+. I remember that it was close, but whatever, let's say he was 31' out. He takes this jump shot, flings the disc almost straight up into it's S turn. His momentum takes him forward and due to the downhill, he sort of runs down following after the shot. By the time the putt gently floats into the chains, he is less than 15' from the basket and running at it at a pretty good pace right at it - It was like some Tiger Woods thing. It was very impressive but I always wondered if it was legal. I assume that because he was outside of 30' and the disc got off clean with him trailing, this was perfectly legal.

Yes, it's legal as long as he's past 32 feet and the disc leaves his hand before his feet leave the ground.

math is a measure of exactness

From the same wikipedia, under metric time

History
When the metric system was introduced in France in 1795, it included units for length, area, dry volume, liquid capacity, weight or mass, and even currency, but not for time. Decimal time of day had been introduced in France two years earlier, but was set aside at the same time the metric system was inaugurated, and did not follow the metric pattern of a base unit and prefixed units.

so this means that for the metric system time is defined as

Metric time is the measure of time interval using the metric system, which defines the second as the base unit of time, and multiple and submultiple units formed with metric prefixes, such as kiloseconds and milliseconds. It does not define the time of day, as this is defined by various time scales, which may be based upon the metric definition of the second. Other units of time, the minute, hour, and day, are accepted for use with the modern metric system, but are not part of it.

I understand that the metric system is base ten and that decimal time is base ten, but that does not mean that it is part of the metric system. All decimal time does is convert our normal time which is a mixture of bases 24, 60, and 365, and convert it into base 10, which is what our number system is based on (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9). For example, there are 12 inches for each foot and 3 feet for each yard and 1760 yards for each mile. In a metric system it would be 10 inches for dekafoot and 10 dekafoot for each hectafoot and 10 hectafoot for each kilofoot and 1000 kilofoot for each megafoot and 1000 megafoot for each gigafoot and 1000 gigafoot for each terafoot, and so on.

From the same wikipedia, under metric time

History
When the metric system was introduced in France in 1795, it included units for length, area, dry volume, liquid capacity, weight or mass, and even currency, but not for time. Decimal time of day had been introduced in France two years earlier, but was set aside at the same time the metric system was inaugurated, and did not follow the metric pattern of a base unit and prefixed units.

so this means that for the metric system time is defined as

Metric time is the measure of time interval using the metric system, which defines the second as the base unit of time, and multiple and submultiple units formed with metric prefixes, such as kiloseconds and milliseconds. It does not define the time of day, as this is defined by various time scales, which may be based upon the metric definition of the second. Other units of time, the minute, hour, and day, are accepted for use with the modern metric system, but are not part of it.

I understand that the metric system is base ten and that decimal time is base ten, but that does not mean that it is part of the metric system. All decimal time does is convert our normal time which is a mixture of bases 24, 60, and 365, and convert it into base 10, which is what our number system is based on (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9). For example, there are 12 inches for each foot and 3 feet for each yard and 1760 yards for each mile. In a metric system it would be 10 inches for dekafoot and 10 dekafoot for each hectafoot and 10 hectafoot for each kilofoot and 1000 kilofoot for each megafoot and 1000 megafoot for each gigafoot and 1000 gigafoot for each terafoot, and so on.
So you're suggesting that we make the bold switch to binary?

"Hey man! Does this look like I'm 11110 out?"

I always chuckle when I see the tshirts that say;
"There are 10 kind of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't"

Time

Speaking of systems for keeping time I would be interested in having the U.S. convert to International or Military time. Instead of writing 11:00 pm you can just right 2300 easier right?

I carry a tape measure with me but if it looks to be over 32 feet then I go for it and whip out the tape measure if it's called for a foot fault. After a lot of putting practice you start to know how far away 32 feet is without the tape.

Yes, it's legal as long as he's past 32 feet and the disc leaves his hand before his feet leave the ground.
If you're jump putting from 32', or even 32' 6", that's a no-no. You're not safe until about 32' 10".

If you're jump putting from 32', or even 32' 6", that's a no-no. You're not safe until about 32' 10".

My mistake. I was just trying to actually answer the questions and correct some wrong ideas rather than enter into the metric debate.

I should have said 33 feet which would be the safe distance.

I always chuckle when I see the tshirts that say;
"There are 10 kind of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't"
If you like that check out thinkgeek.com. They have tons of great nerdy gear.

Speaking of systems for keeping time I would be interested in having the U.S. convert to International or Military time. Instead of writing 11:00 pm you can just right 2300 easier right?
I have to use it at work for payroll. I'm down.

Latest posts