• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Just finding that right disc...

you have to have a measuring stick for progress

Here's one: throw a putter 250' on the intended line.

If you can do that, then you will have a solid throwing foundation. When you throw faster discs, all you will have to do is adjust for nose angle. Practice with faster discs for this purpose, but build your throw based on slower discs.

It's like how successful powerlifters built their strength on a base of volume at submaximal weights, not trying to lift near max weights all the time.

The former is where the foundation is built, while the latter is a skill that does need to be worked on, but works a lot better when the foundation is solid.

At 54 I'm not much older than you. Last summer I filled my bag with 3 Rocs and 3 Rhynos for a few months and played 3 shots off of every tee, then 3 approaches, etc.. I wish I had done it years prior since it really helped me focus on what I was doing wrong, and then a lot of the stuff in the techniques section started making more sense.

this guy's got the right idea. start slow and with light weight discs. limit yourself to throwing nothing faster than a speed 6 or 7 until you start to better understand the concept of how a golf disc inherently behaves when its put on different angles at different speeds.

Here's one: throw a putter 250' on the intended line.

If you can do that, then you will have a solid throwing foundation. When you throw faster discs, all you will have to do is adjust for nose angle. Practice with faster discs for this purpose, but build your throw based on slower discs.

It's like how successful powerlifters built their strength on a base of volume at submaximal weights, not trying to lift near max weights all the time.

The former is where the foundation is built, while the latter is a skill that does need to be worked on, but works a lot better when the foundation is solid.

I can get my putter out around 200 feet. That rim is hard to hold onto, just not comfortable. I do like throwing them though because they are very controllable.
I'm gonna take the advice and learn to throw my midrange and Diamond better.

this guy's got the right idea. start slow and with light weight discs. limit yourself to throwing nothing faster than a speed 6 or 7 until you start to better understand the concept of how a golf disc inherently behaves when its put on different angles at different speeds.

I like the approach. I will let you guys know my progress this week.

I can get my putter out around 200 feet. That rim is hard to hold onto, just not comfortable.

Pretty good start. Which grip are you using? I had the same experience of feeling uncomfortable. Started throwing everything with a full power grip, but found it more comfortable to throw putters and mids with a modified power grip or even something closer to a fan grip. Eventually got comfortable with throwing everything with a power grip, but it was a journey getting there.

I can get my putter out around 200 feet. That rim is hard to hold onto, just not comfortable. I do like throwing them though because they are very controllable.
I'm gonna take the advice and learn to throw my midrange and Diamond better.

Try a two finger grip.

This video was recommended to me and it seriously did wonders. I was using Nick Schneider's version but I think Bratten's is also highly recommended. The key thing is to get to holding it in your knuckles.

Then later you will figure out you are throwing nose up, and start working on how it sits on relation to your palm/wrist, but one thing at a time.

I'm 60 years old and have been playing since mid-January 2019. I've also heard the advice - don't throw "this" speed or above if you aren't throwing "this" distance. If I listened to that advice, I'd only be throwing about 150 feet. My 'distance' driver is the Escape or Sidewinder and I get them out around 250 feet RHFH. Yes, my form isn't perfect - I'm 60 and haven't played long. But I'm working on it. I'd rather get a 2 or 3 on a 250 foot hole, than a 4 or 5 playing a slower disc. My Escape and Sidewinder used to only get out about 180, but practice and making changes to my form have gotten me out to 250ish. It's a work in progress.

My discs are chosen for the distance I can get. I won't throw 10 speed or higher as I can't generate the arm speed or form to get them any further than my 9 speed Escape and Sidewinder. I don't throw any of my lesser speed discs out to 250, so if I want that distance it needs to be my 9 speed. I'm happy and continue to work on arm speed/strength and form. One day I might get my 9 speeds to 300 and be able to throw a 10 speed.

Not everyone throws a putter 200 feet....and it's not just a matter of improving the form.

Throw what works for your ability and keep working on improving.

((My Disc Golf Wish: I wish disc golf had "fittings" similar to ball golf. In ball golf, you can get fitted for your clubs, grips, and even the type of ball that would be best for your ability. It would be nice if disc golf could do the same thing and show the best types of discs for a player's ability)).

Not everyone throws a putter 200 feet....and it's not just a matter of improving the form.

I see too many kids and older players throwing putters 200' or more to accept that it isn't a form/technique issue.

I understand that people have physical limitations, but anyone in decent physical shape can get a putter to 200 feet with good form/technique.

When I started playing I thought that was a lot for a putter. Now it is an easy standstill throw.

For the the purpose of having fun playing the game, absolutely throw whatever gives you the best results. Of course throwing a putter 200' is not necessary to play.

Form can be improved with any disc, so if using a driver is what gets and keeps you motivated to practice, then keep on throwing.

I still would recommend using a putter and/or a neutral mid for the main work of learning to throw. Slow neutral discs give brutally honest feedback about form. They don't hide anything. Faster discs tend to mask form flaws, which ingrains bad habits into muscle memory. Then when you are stuck on the plateau that some "instant distance" disc put you on, it will be more difficult to fix.

Last edited:
I see too many kids and older players throwing putters 200' or more to accept that it isn't a form/technique issue.

I understand that people have physical limitations, but anyone in decent physical shape can get a putter to 200 feet with good form/technique.

When I started playing I thought that was a lot for a putter. Now it is an easy standstill throw.

For the the purpose of having fun playing the game, absolutely throw whatever gives you the best results. Of course throwing a putter 200' is not necessary to play.

Form can be improved with any disc, so if using a driver is what gets and keeps you motivated to practice, then keep on throwing.

I still would recommend using a putter and/or a neutral mid for the main work of learning to throw. Slow neutral discs give brutally honest feedback about form. They don't hide anything. Faster discs tend to mask form flaws, which ingrains bad habits into muscle memory. Then when you are stuck on the plateau that some "instant distance" disc put you on, it will be more difficult to fix.

I agree with all you said...most importantly "anyone in decent physical shape". My point was that it isn't always form/arm strength keeping people from throwing far. I have scoliosis (20 degree curvature of my spine sideways) and that causes my hips to not be level and one leg is slightly shorter that the other. Sometimes I take a rough step and jar my spine....I'm done for the day. It gives me huge issues playing ball golf and I had to accept I'll never get the swing speed most people get, nor the accurate form. Same with disc golf.

I just get tired of hearing....since you are only getting 250 feet with a 9 speed, you need to quit using that and use a lower speed disc until you get your form fixed. Stick with a putter and midrange since a putter should go around 200ish feet. Yes...it should...for players in good physical condition, can repeat their form, and have the proper arm speed/strength. That will never be me.....so I'm satisfied with using what works for me and slowly trying different things to improve what I can. I just changed my forehand grip recently and got a whole bunch more accurate.

Pretty good start. Which grip are you using? I had the same experience of feeling uncomfortable. Started throwing everything with a full power grip, but found it more comfortable to throw putters and mids with a modified power grip or even something closer to a fan grip. Eventually got comfortable with throwing everything with a power grip, but it was a journey getting there.

I would say it's a cross between a fan grip and power grip. The two middles fingers come out into a small fan on the underside while the other two are in a power grip position.

Try a two finger grip.

This video was recommended to me and it seriously did wonders. I was using Nick Schneider's version but I think Bratten's is also highly recommended. The key thing is to get to holding it in your knuckles.

Then later you will figure out you are throwing nose up, and start working on how it sits on relation to your palm/wrist, but one thing at a time.

I will try those. Thanks.

Something like a Leopard sounds like the fastest disc you should be throwing. It's such a great tool for developing your distance and form. I just lost my starting Champ Leopard (it was found and I told the guy to give it to a noob for their first distance driver), it was beaten in so nice and evenly, and gave me so many fun moments.

The River is a nice glidey, noob friendly disc too. May want to try it though it's a little big at 7 speed for the moment.

Cheers! Keep at it man, hope your injury heals up well. (practice your putting and upshots if you want to get better)

Last edited:
But, if you don't get the basics, you could just end up being that guy that never throws more than 250ft who carries a bag of high speed drivers and is always in pain. Don't be that guy!

For real. This trap is hard to avoid, especially for us guys who start in our 40s. Been down this road at a couple points in my development. I see way too many of these guys on the course, and while they usually have a neat bag of tricks, they're never going to become good players or throw smoothly.

Last edited:
Find what works for YOU. And work on improving. As I've said before, I'm 60, playing since mid-Jan 2019, and have scoliosis. I found that I can throw up to 9 speed discs and reach 250ish. I'm happy with that....can other people throw farther - yes. Are the discs designed to go further than I throw them - yes. But, I don't have that ability and am happy with what I can do. Meanwhile I continue to work on my form and accuracy - I improve, slowly, and hope to eventually get to 300 feet. Should I listen to the 'experts' and only throw putters and mids until I can throw them as far as the 'should' go? No, I'd quit the sport. Why should I limit myself to getting 4 or 5 on 250 foot par 3s; when I can get a 2 or 3? Yes, I need to improve.....yes, I'm working on improving. But meanwhile, I'll use what works.

You won't see me carrying 10 speed or higher discs as they don't get me any more distance or accuracy. But you will see me throwing the discs I carry and doing well with them.

Something like a Leopard sounds like the fastest disc you should be throwing. It's such a great tool for developing your distance and form. I just lost my starting Champ Leopard (it was found and I told the guy to give it to a noob for their first distance driver), it was beaten in so nice and evenly, and gave me so many fun moments.

The River is a nice glidey, noob friendly disc too. May want to try it though it's a little big at 7 speed for the moment.

Cheers! Keep at it man, hope your injury heals up well. (practice your putting and upshots if you want to get better)
I've had good luck with both my leopard and my leopard3 discs. The leopard is getting too flippy at times. I may try it in a different plastic or weight. Mine is 150 grams in the DX plastic. My Leopard3 is Champion and weighs 167 and it glides nice.

I've had good luck with both my leopard and my leopard3 discs. The leopard is getting too flippy at times. I may try it in a different plastic or weight. Mine is 150 grams in the DX plastic. My Leopard3 is Champion and weighs 167 and it glides nice.
150 DX wow, yes that could get super flippy! Maybe a 160 class in a premium plastic would be good. I also like the feel of my echo star that I found in the woods (no name or # on it).

I found my 168 Champ Leopard never did get too flippy per se, but got touchier about what sorts of throws it would accept once it started getting close to 300'. You could throw wonderful slight anny lines with it and it would still hold a hyzer. I had a couple of freakishly perfect leases that went dead straight on a hyzer flip for much longer, so the disc can handle some speed. But I'm not a good enough technician to put it out there for distance consistently.

Throwing 7 speed discs for most of my drives is certainly causing fewer turn & burns.

Last edited:
150 DX wow, yes that could get super flippy! Maybe a 160 class in a premium plastic would be good. I also like the feel of my echo star that I found in the woods (no name or # on it).

I found my 168 Champ Leopard never did get too flippy per se, but got touchier about what sorts of throws it would accept once it started getting close to 300'. You could throw wonderful slight anny lines with it and it would still hold a hyzer. I had a couple of freakishly perfect leases that went dead straight on a hyzer flip for much longer, so the disc can handle some speed. But I'm not a good enough technician to put it out there for distance consistently.

Throwing 7 speed discs for most of my drives is certainly causing fewer turn & burns.

My Champ Leopard3 is one of my best fairway drivers now that I changed my grip. I used to not be able to throw it very well. I changed my grip to get more spin and now it's perfect. I wish it had a little bigger rim is all. I don't like the narrow rims.

Progress report from last night. I went with mostly speed 7,8,9 drivers and got good results. Threw putter as well for one hole and layup shots. Farthest throws last night-

Luna: 200
River: 275
Sidewinder: 302 (slight downhill)
Leopard3: 266 (slight downhill)
Escape: 256 (on a flat hyzer line)
Mamba: 290, 289 (flat ground, no elevation straight shot)

I know some may say "what you throwing the Mamba for?" On certain holes it just works out perfect and gives me some idea on my progress. Last week on the same hole I hit 262. So, that's a 30 foot gain in a week. I think there is a purpose for high speed discs. Especially, when it fits the style and motion needed for certain shots.

Latest posts