• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Kansas City area must plays?

Bunsel

Bogey Member
I have the opportunity to travel with my wife to Kansas City in July as she will be attending a week-long conference. When I travel with her, I always have my discs with me. Was wondering if any of you locals in this area can give your two-cents on which courses I should play during this time out there. I know I can look up the course reviews, but sometimes those are taken with a grain of salt. Would appreciate any input on where to hit and where to avoid.

Thanks!

We are making a pit stop at Waterworks on our way from BG Ams to GBO in a couple of weeks. That's the one I've been told not to miss. I'd like to know if there are any others that we shouldn't miss...

There is a newer course in Liberty called Bad Rock Creek that I really enjoyed.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=7010

Then there are also the standbys of Waterworks(my favorite), Rosedale(2 courses) and Swope. I also enjoyed Shawnee Mission Park(Shawnee Mission, KS) and Legacy Park(Lee's Summit, MO) in the couple of times I played them. I have heard good things about the courses in Smithville, MO and Wilbur Young in Blue Springs, MO.

A good idea would be to read the reviews from those with Trusted Reviewer status---always a good barometer of the best local action.
Myself, if I had a week there I'd play all the courses within 20 miles, even the s4!tty ones. Maybe even a few of the good ones at 30 miles out, because I may never get back there again.

Last edited:
i've only played two courses in KC (down under and waterworks) and can definitely say play waterworks. great course and amazing views of KC.

Waterworks is a must play, and I'd even play it a few times. One of the most fun courses I've played. Swope Park is another fun one, kind of like a less intense version of Waterworks. I've heard that it is in a bad area, but I saw no sign of any problems when I was there. Blue Valley is the other staple in the area, as long as you don't mind playing a super long course.

I've heard that Rosedale Park is fun too, but gets incredibly crowded. All of these courses get crowded in the afternoon, so I'd try to play earlier in the if you can.

Don't waste too much time playing the 9 holes on the KS side, they are weak.

Depends really want you want and what you enjoy in a course. Some people like long bomber type courses (Blue Valley, Wyco, Legacy front) and others prefer more heavily wooded (like Blue Springs or Rosie DU). Some of the courses like Swope and Rosedale up top can be set extremely short or longer. Swope was set fairly short a week ago, but I don't know what it is now. Rosedale is very busy as someone else has mentioned. The two newest courses in town are Bad Rock Creek in Liberty and Raymore, MO. I put in Raymore course btw and most holes are white or blue level with concrete tees and DISCatcher baskets on all 18 holes. If it were me, I would do Waterworks and Cliff Drive one day as both are near downtown. Then maybe Smithville's 3 courses another day. KC has quite the variety.

Depends really want you want and what you enjoy in a course. Some people like long bomber type courses (Blue Valley, Wyco, Legacy front) and others prefer more heavily wooded (like Blue Springs or Rosie DU). Some of the courses like Swope and Rosedale up top can be set extremely short or longer. Swope was set fairly short a week ago, but I don't know what it is now. Rosedale is very busy as someone else has mentioned. The two newest courses in town are Bad Rock Creek in Liberty and Raymore, MO. I put in Raymore course btw and most holes are white or blue level with concrete tees and DISCatcher baskets on all 18 holes. If it were me, I would do Waterworks and Cliff Drive one day as both are near downtown. Then maybe Smithville's 3 courses another day. KC has quite the variety.

Swope was still set to short when I played at lunch today. Would like to try Raymore one of these days after work :).

I played Waterworks while I was there over the weekend. Definitely a must play in my opinion but be prepared to walk some hills. Wyandotte was not a must play by any means IMO. Very pretty but too wide open and not enough unique holes.

I would love to go back and play Bad Rock Creek but didn't have enough time.

Just like most others said, Water Works is your best bet. It's the highest rated in the KC area (4.54). You could also check out Blue Valley Park(3.85), it got some good reviews as well :thmbup:

Yup. Waterworks, cliff drive and swope.
Then Paradise pointe (3 beautiful and different-feeling on one property). That's a solid weekend.

As a KC native here is my biased opinion :)
1. Water Works- has elevation, some challenge, and really great views of the city.
2. Blue Valley- yes it is rather long, but I enjoy the heck out of it. It has character, beauty, and poses a significant challenge.
3. Smithville complex (woodhenge and blackthorn...not beaver) I love these two courses and never regret my trip up north to play them. Beauty, challenge, woods, open, long, short...it has it all.
4. Bad Rock Creek- one of the newer courses in town and it has a high fun factor. It's a slightly better version of Lakeside (#8)
5. Wilbur Young- wooded, fun, technical, short-ish but not too short. I really like the challenge of the tight fairways here.
6. Cliff Drive- some really great holes, however there are a few throw away holes that knock this course down a notch or two for me personally. It has some uniqueness not found at most other courses in town.
7. Lakeside in Olathe- this is just a solid respectable course. Nothing will "WOW" you, however you will get a decent challenge and a little bit of exercise.
8. Longview in Ozawkie Ks. about 45 minutes west of Downtown but it has the most unique topography of any course in our area. If you want a small road trip out of town this course has a high fun factor, a little challenge, and some of the best scenery. I really like this course but it's location means I only play it 3 or 4 times a year.

There is a long list of other great courses that are certainly ok but just don't make my top 8 list. Shawnee Mission, WyCo, Rosedale, Swope (I know, you hear people talk about this course, but unless it's set up in the GOLD configuration I find it a very normal course. Good mind you, but nothing amazing). Legacy in Lee's Summit also make the pretty good but not top 8 list.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your time here, we love our disc golf and we count ourselves pretty lucky to be surrounded by some really great courses.

Simple,

Thanks a million, this is exactly what I was hoping to get with my post, a local "biased" opinion that you and others have provided. I see some mention of elevation changes and also a good workout in playing some of the courses. I have spent time in northern Michigan and also West Virginia playing so I am excited when I hear those type of reports. I live in flat northwest Ohio, so I welcome all elevation that I will encounter. Maybe after a week I may have a change of heart, but I don't think so.

Thanks again to all posters, KC here I come!

1. Water Works- has elevation, some challenge, and really great views of the city.
2. Blue Valley- yes it is rather long, but I enjoy the heck out of it. It has character, beauty, and poses a significant challenge.
3. Smithville complex (woodhenge and blackthorn...not beaver) I love these two courses and never regret my trip up north to play them. Beauty, challenge, woods, open, long, short...it has it all.
4. Bad Rock Creek- one of the newer courses in town and it has a high fun factor. It's a slightly better version of Lakeside (#8)
5. Wilbur Young- wooded, fun, technical, short-ish but not too short. I really like the challenge of the tight fairways here.
6. Cliff Drive- some really great holes, however there are a few throw away holes that knock this course down a notch or two for me personally. It has some uniqueness not found at most other courses in town.
7. Lakeside in Olathe- this is just a solid respectable course. Nothing will "WOW" you, however you will get a decent challenge and a little bit of exercise.
8. Longview in Ozawkie Ks. about 45 minutes west of Downtown but it has the most unique topography of any course in our area. If you want a small road trip out of town this course has a high fun factor, a little challenge, and some of the best scenery. I really like this course but it's location means I only play it 3 or 4 times a year.

There is a long list of other great courses that are certainly ok but just don't make my top 8 list. Shawnee Mission, WyCo, Rosedale, Swope (I know, you hear people talk about this course, but unless it's set up in the GOLD configuration I find it a very normal course. Good mind you, but nothing amazing). Legacy in Lee's Summit also make the pretty good but not top 8 list.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your time here, we love our disc golf and we count ourselves pretty lucky to be surrounded by some really great courses.

Thanks for the list!!! Maybe we can hit more than just WW on the way through on the 27th...

My wife and I swung through on our honeymoon and played Water Works. It really is a great course. We loved it.

I'm glad to see Rosedale didn't make your list. I gotta get back there to check out all the others! :thmbup:

I'm glad to see Rosedale didn't make your list. I gotta get back there to check out all the others! :thmbup:

Rosedale is OK but not great. Many people love it but it felt like just another course to me. It does have the added benefit of having two courses on the same property that are vastly different courses. I have yet to try Blue Valley or Cliff because they aren't in the best part of town and I can't get convince my buddy that there is a low probability of being mugged/shot.

Simple,

Thanks a million, this is exactly what I was hoping to get with my post, a local "biased" opinion that you and others have provided. I see some mention of elevation changes and also a good workout in playing some of the courses. I have spent time in northern Michigan and also West Virginia playing so I am excited when I hear those type of reports. I live in flat northwest Ohio, so I welcome all elevation that I will encounter. Maybe after a week I may have a change of heart, but I don't think so.

Thanks again to all posters, KC here I come!

Have a great time here and make sure to take in some of our fine BBQ for lunch or dinner one day. I probably should add a little caveat, I would recommend downloading one of the premium disc golf apps (Udisc+ seems to really work well here for me) if you haven't already. They can be helpful in taking you straight to the disc golf courses (google maps has trouble with a couple of our courses and will take you to places you may not want to go). These apps are also good to help navigate the courses as some are a tad tricky for first time players.