• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Kansas City area must plays?

I'm glad to see Rosedale didn't make your list. I gotta get back there to check out all the others! :thmbup:

Rosedale is a staple here, and certainly has its loyal crew. Plus, Dynamic Discs is just a couple blocks from the course (nice guys to buy plastic from). Even though it didn't make my short list as a must play, I still make it out there at least 2 or 3 times a year (but only during the week because of heavy weekend traffic).

I know this is a bit controversial here in KC but this course is a PRIME CANDIDATE for pay to play. There are droves of people that flock here (unbearable amounts on the weekend for me personally) and the course is simply beat to he!!. Pay to play (or a yearly membership, which is what I would prefer) would create more buy in from the locals (who pillage the course), supply funding for erosion control and course repair, and provide routine maintenance (the grass can easily get calf high at certain points of the summer due to lack of maintenance). None of this is a slam to our local crew of guys and gals who love this course and do their best to keep up with the massive amount of wear and tear this course endures, but I believe a membership would do wonders for these two courses. I picture a scenario familiar to Bryant Lake up in Minneapolis working wonderful in this particular park.

Anyways, that was the long way of saying I wish we could set a system in motion to better manage and care for Rosedale so that it could reach its full potential.

Have a great time here and make sure to take in some of our fine BBQ for lunch or dinner one day. I probably should add a little caveat, I would recommend downloading one of the premium disc golf apps (Udisc+ seems to really work well here for me) if you haven't already. They can be helpful in taking you straight to the disc golf courses (google maps has trouble with a couple of our courses and will take you to places you may not want to go). These apps are also good to help navigate the courses as some are a tad tricky for first time players.

Believe me, BBQ is in my plans as well, probably not one day though, I am going to be there for a whole week and a guy has to eat you know! :thmbup:

I would highly recommend making sure to have a native guide at Water Works.

I've been there twice--once when visiting, and once not long after moving to KC (I have since moved away)--and both times had enough trouble navigating that it cut how much fun I had. Not saying it is not a good course, just that even with a map it can be hard to find your way around. (Was it Clausewitz who said that the map is not the terrain?)

There is a good club there. Pretty much every week night there is a league playing at least 2 courses (Water Works is on Thursday nights). You might check Kansas City Flying Disc Club out.

One course I have not seen mentioned is Lake Shore DGC. Kinda out there a ways, but fun (it was my wife's favorite because of the lake). One could hit that together with the new course in Raymore, Legacy, and/or Wilbur Young.

Waterworks. Kessler. Paradise pointe(3 beautiful 18s on one landmass with a giant lake).
Seriously. Play these 5

I would highly recommend making sure to have a native guide at Water Works.

I've been there twice--once when visiting, and once not long after moving to KC (I have since moved away)--and both times had enough trouble navigating that it cut how much fun I had. Not saying it is not a good course, just that even with a map it can be hard to find your way around. (Was it Clausewitz who said that the map is not the terrain?)

There is a good club there. Pretty much every week night there is a league playing at least 2 courses (Water Works is on Thursday nights). You might check Kansas City Flying Disc Club out.

One course I have not seen mentioned is Lake Shore DGC. Kinda out there a ways, but fun (it was my wife's favorite because of the lake). One could hit that together with the new course in Raymore, Legacy, and/or Wilbur Young.

Waterworks was the first course I played and I really felt no reason to need a guide, it flows pretty well in my opinion. The worst parts are probably finding hole 2 and hole 6. Hole 2's teepad is in a little wooded area that isn't really visible from hole 1 and then hole 6 is up some stairs but they are easy to see. If you do have a map I don't see how anyone would get lost but that's just my experience.

Waterworks was the first course I played and I really felt no reason to need a guide, it flows pretty well in my opinion. The worst parts are probably finding hole 2 and hole 6. Hole 2's teepad is in a little wooded area that isn't really visible from hole 1 and then hole 6 is up some stairs but they are easy to see. If you do have a map I don't see how anyone would get lost but that's just my experience.

I am looking for tourney coverage of WaterWorks. Any locals know of the tournament names that use this course.

The Kansas City Wide Open uses it but not sure if there are videos of the WaterWorks rounds(I am at work you can do the searching;)). The 2009 Worlds was hosted here but I have not found any good video of it. They also have the Mighty Mo there which is a B-tier but there might be some footage out there.

Actually headed to KC tonight to help with a college-move tomorrow. Excited to get a course or two in! I'm thinking Waterworks and Bad Rock for sure (it's on the way out of town tomorrow night.) Just have to decide if there's time for a 3rd, and whether to go with Kessler or Blue Valley. Or maybe I'll just hit Jesse James since it's not had a review in over two years...

Latest posts