• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Karhumies's bag spring 2014

Karhumies

Created for personal journal purposes, mainly. Controllable distance around 70-75m with a 175 DX Cobra. Looking to improve the D this summer. RHBH dominant, my forearm needs control training (palm not towards the sky often enough upon release). I throw from a standstill. Looking to learn the x-step this summer to improve the D.

Current list of discs:

DISTANCE DRIVERS

---in the bag---
Standstill - 138 Starlite Valkyrie, fresh - excellent standstill driver, also from poor body positions. Looking for alternatives to throw big distance from a run-up.
Run-up - ??? probably the 167 Champ Valk will be moved here after it has been beaten in a bit

---outside of bag---
Innova - DX Valkyrie 167, slightly beaten
Innova - DX Valkyrie 169, moderately beaten

---trading out ---
Innova - Star Roadrunner 170
Innova - Star Valkyrie 158
Innova - Star Valkyrie 171
Discmania - S-line TD Rush 172

CONTROL DRIVES, VERSATILE GO-TO DISCS
---in the bag---
Innova - 167 Champ Valkyrie, fresh - I have initially tried using this as a more overstable fairway/midrange partner to the Warship, not happy with the results. When beaten in and my distance improves, it will become a more reliable distance driver disc, I hope.
Westside - 170 BT Warship, slightly beaten - go-to disc used in place of a fairway driver, would like to get it in more durable plastic + some slightly more OS partner for it
Lightning - 171 #2 Driver - choice floating fairway disc, I have need for one

---outside of bag---
Discmania - D-line FD Jackal 170

---trading out---
Lightning - #2 Flyer 155

MIDRANGE
---in the bag---
177 Champ King Cobra, fresh - trying out this disc, liking it so far. However, it's a fall-in-between. If I think there is even a moderate chance I can get the approach in, I use the ION. It's not unusual for me to get 1-2 approaches in with the ION from 20-25, sometimes even 30 meters over a course of 18 rounds. For drives, I end up using the Warship much more because it's a longer disc than the King Cobra.
173 X Comet, slightly beaten - holds any line forever, I have need for a Z or ESP to accompany it which would hyzer out from anhyzer lines

---outside of bag---
173 X Comet, less beaten than the other one but very close in flight pattern so not worth it to carry both

---trading out---
Innova - Rancho Star Roc 177
Discraft - Elite X Comet Fly-dye 173-174
Discraft - Elite Z Buzzz Fly-dye 173-174
Discraft - Pro-D Buzzz 170-172
Discraft - FLX Buzzz 170-172

PUTT & APPROACH
---in the bag---
175 Basic JOKERi - trick approaches, roller disc, often rolls also when I don't want it to
170 Neutron ION & 170 Neutron ANODE - go-to putt & approach, slippery when wet
170 Soft Magic - anhyzer approaches where I don't want the Comet to glide past the basket

---outside of bag---
Gateway - "Soft" Magic 174

---trading out---
Gateway - "Soft" Voodoo 170
Gateway - "Soft" Voodoo 171
Gateway - Evolution HPP Warlock 175

Planned testing list, trying to trade for these:
Distance driver - Starlite Tern to see how it compares to my Starlite Valkyrie from a standstill (too flippy?)
Distance driver - 150-160 Champ Valkyrie to see if it can be thrown from a run-up without flipping
Control driver #1 - 167 Ti Mantis, I have heard good things about this disc
Control driver #2 - 170-173 VIP or Tournament Warship, to get more durable plastic than the BT
Control driver #3 - Starlite Teebird, hoping this would be like TD with better glide for narrow wooded courses
Midrange - ESP or Z Comet to hyzer out from an anhyzer line
Approach - Nova 170 looking to try this out if it rolls less than Magic on approaches
Putter - 170 Soft Wizard or 170 Judge of any plastic to eliminate Jokeri, Ion and Anode from the bag. Jokeri rolls too often as an approach disc, Ion/Anode is not grippy enough in wet conditions. Also, the shorter range of the would let me throw the King Cobra more on the course.

Discs I have liked in the past:
168 DX Leopard, was beaten in too quickly. First Pro-D Buzz, later BT Warship took its place.
170 very beaten DX Teebird, eventually lost in the woods. Tried out a TL but it lacked the glide of the DX. Don't like the Teebird as much when new (too much face) so started using other discs after losing it.
below 170 DX Valkyrie, was beaten in too quickly. Starlite Valkyrie took its place. Tried out normal Star 158 first but that lacks the glide.
170 Pro-D Buzzz, was a go-to disc but has become too flippy with improved distance. Warship took its place because Warship comes back more reliably after turning in the air (natural S curve).
170 Ti Buzzz, had a fun little controllable S-curve but ended up liking Warship more for that kind of shot. Warship can also be powered down with better results than the Buzzz.

Discs I have not liked in the past:
172 KC Pro Roc, loved the flight path but I had release issues with the disc (stuck in fingertips). Replaced with King Cobra.
170 Z Buzzz, I had nose up issues with this disc. Also, overlap problems between Buzzz and fairway drivers. Ended up liking first Leopard, later Warship more. However, removing this disc from the bag has left me with a hole (slightly OS control driver), which I have first tried to fill with Champ Valkyrie and which I am now trying to experiment with Titanium Mantis.

Current bag shortlist:

DISTANCE
stand-still: 138 Starlite Valkyrie (fresh), hyzer-flip for max D
run-up: needs more practice

CONTROL
headwind: needs a disc
167 Champ Valkyrie (fresh) - OS duties, poor left-right accuracy in headwind, needs to be changed
170 BT Warship (fresh) - Versatile, poor in headwind, wearing down too rapidly for my taste
173 X Comet (slightly beaten) - keeps any line, but does not hyzer out from an anny line

APPROACH
177 Champ King Cobra - stable and OS. Often, I end up using the ION for approach instead & Warship for the drive instead.
170 Soft Magic - anhyzer, rolls too easily

PUTTERS
170 Neutron ION - 5-15m putts, too slippery when wet
170 Neutron ANODE - <5m putts, too slippery when wet

SPECIALTY DISCS
171 #2 Driver - floating fairway driver, used on river-type water courses only
173 Basic JOKERi - get-out-of-trouble overheads, rollers, too marginally thrown to justify a slot in the bag. A OS fairway driver could take over this slot IMO.

Planned bag list after trades and form improvement:
*to be acquired

DISTANCE
run-up: 167 Champ Valkyrie OR *Starlite Tern OR *Starlite Teebird (Starlite Teebird might work in a small headwind as well, I hope)
stand-still: 138 Starlite Valkyrie OR *Starlite Tern

CONTROL
*~167 Champ Banshee - OS, headwind, forehand, overhead get-out-of-trouble shots, fairway skip shots
*~167 Titanium Ace Race Mantis / Titanium Stalker - versatile, headwind-capable
*~170-172 VIP or Tournament Warship - versatile, tailwind/woods courses
173 X Comet - keeps any line
*~173 Z or ESP Comet - returns from anny

APPROACH
177 Champ King Cobra OR *~170 ??? Plastic Judge - stable and OS
170 Soft Magic OR *~170??? Nova - anny, I have heard that Nova does not roll easily

PUTTERS
*~170 ??? Plastic Judge

SPECIALTY DISCS
(Banshee has also overhead shots and skip shots)
171 #2 Driver - floating fairway driver

At this point it realy is about getting those legs and hips to work gaining new skills. While people even women throw farther from a stand still it is such a drag. Your bag will change when you add distance because the stability changes drastically when you gain distance. European Championships team Finland has a woman who drives about 90 meters from a stand still. You can see her throw in some of the Finnish Championships 2013 daily clips on Youtube channel lcgm8. Powergrip shirt.

You can see that 90 meter stand still throwing woman Jenni on the lcgm8 video SM-kisat ensimmäinen päivä at 1:32. You can see her play much more on Finnish Open 2013 videos on the channel of that name for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQbp3wEVZhc

Have you tried a Truth?

It's my Stable to Overstable Mid of choice now. It's very controllable in a Headwind or Tailwind. It's got just the right Stability to go Straight with a good fade or to have a Hard Fade the whole way. Very controllable Mid for sure.

Works good for Sidearms too.

It is now my Favorite Disc of Choice. I'll probably be getting another as a backup.