• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Keeping score, help!

cjsleme

I am fairly new to disc golf and I played a round today and kept score so I can document it on this site for myself.
If I made a Par I put "0" if I was 1 over par I would mark "1" and so on..
I went to document my score on this website and the holes I marked Par I put a "0" and when I try to submit it I get a message that says,
"You have a negative number, a zero, a letter, or just something odd in one of the score fields. Please fix it and try again."
I am confused because I thought if I got a par then it would be a zero? Am I supposed to put all the shots I took as my score instead of adding and subtracting with the Par?
golfhelp.png

Attachments

• golfhelp.png
    golfhelp.png
    52 KB · Views: 5
Am I supposed to put all the shots I took as my score instead of adding and subtracting with the Par?

Yes. You didn't par a hole, you shot a 3. You didn't shoot -1 on a hole, you shot a 2.

Disc golf tournament rules mandate that is how you record scores, so that's how it tends to be done in all settings.

some players prefer to keep score relative to par as you are. so with three throws on a par three it would be zero. But some people prefer to keep score on the amount of actual throws so they can add up score at the end of the round. So three throws on a par three the score for that hole would be three.

Thank you for the quick replies everyone! I didn't know, that really helps lol
I really like this site and the forums!
I watched a tournament on youtube (I think discraft's new channel "Spin TV") and they kept score with the Pars so that is how I thought everyone did it.

This site says that Hole 13 is a Par 5, I think the hole got moved because I am certain it was a short Par 3 hole. This will mess up my score related to the Par.

This site says that Hole 13 is a Par 5, I think the hole got moved because I am certain it was a short Par 3 hole. This will mess up my score related to the Par.
If that's bothering you, you can always change the par to whatever you want while entering your round. I always change it when I don't agree with what was entered.

Yea I changed it to Par 3 but I didn't know the length in feet so I just entered 300, I will look at it next time I go.

Thank you for the quick replies everyone! I didn't know, that really helps lol
I really like this site and the forums!
I watched a tournament on youtube (I think discraft's new channel "Spin TV") and they kept score with the Pars so that is how I thought everyone did it.

A tip for the new guy:

"Par" is a fairly contentious subject on these forums. If this blows up---it's not your fault.

your "score", is the total of the "number of throws", added up, "par" is not a "number"

ok I'm fairly new I gotta ask, what are the "par" numbers for at the T pads on the course for? So you just count strokes only? Not trying to get anyone stirred up just a legitimate question. Because most of the local courses are all par three holes but there is a local course that has two "par" fives so the stroke total will not come out as 54 (18X3). Simple answer please.

ok I'm fairly new I gotta ask, what are the "par" numbers for at the T pads on the course for? So you just count strokes only? Not trying to get anyone stirred up just a legitimate question. Because most of the local courses are all par three holes but there is a local course that has two "par" fives so the stroke total will not come out as 54 (18X3). Simple answer please.

Par is mostly for reference, and partly because of ball golf. In general, most holes get labeled with par 3 with little regard to its actual difficulty because the math trick of keeping score based on par 3/par 54 is fairly prevalent.

In competitive play, par is only relevant to penalizing players for missing holes (the penalty is par + 4 throws for a missed hole). It has zero function in terms of scorekeeping otherwise.

Can someone inform me why Par is a touchy subject on here? What are the arguments for both sides?

In a nut shell, there is no universally applicable or acceptable definition of what par is in disc golf. Without that, par doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot because it means different things to different people.

Search the forum for par, you won't have any difficulty finding a thread or sixty discussing it. They all boil down to the same back and forth with the same lack of resolution, hence it's a touchy subject.

Some courses have rediculous pars listed. A course I used to play often, Larson Park in Brookings, SD, is par 68 I believe even though the longest hole is an open, downhill 388 footer.

Latest posts