• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Kentucky!

BennettUA

Lefty Activist
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Planning a Kentucky trip, Idlewild and Holler in The Hills will both make it. Feed me some suggestions on the hidden gems that aren't as well-known anywhere in the state, and know that we'd like to camp some.
Thanks in advance to any input! :thmbup::thmbup::thmbup:
kentucky.jpg

You can't go to Idlewild and not also play Lincoln Ridge, 20 minutes apart.

Don't forget Mt. Airy (just across the river in Cincy). There is also a nice disc golf shop there-the Nati.

I'd say one of the most under rated courses in Kentucky is Freeman Lake in Elizabethtown. Its a little over an hour away from Holler, depending on how you get back to the highway and two hours from NKY. The course is a mix of distances, moderately wooded with some rolling elevation changes. There's not much camping near Freeman though that I know of. Another one that is a bit out of the way but really fun is Lake Cumberland State Park. There's camping in the park as well as a hotel literally across a parking lot from the course. Its a shorter, mostly open course with tons of elevation changes and great views of the lake (you're on a peninsula). Lake Cumberland is probably 90 minutes or so from Holler and three hours from Idlewild.

Don't forget Mt. Airy (just across the river in Cincy). There is also a nice disc golf shop there-the Nati.

The other half of our crew is coming from Cinci, so we were going to do our annual "Discs of Fury" through the best of Kentucky's courses, do some camping and also find somewhere to plug in our amps and jam up some music.

Last year we hit the Carolinas, and I dyed a disc for everyone. I'll find something cool to do with Kentucky this year.

picture.php

let me know when you come ill grab a gang and meet you up there i live in lexington ky we got a few nice courses but i recamend idlewild and lincoln ridge. 2 are very well kept i can speak on cincy since ive never played but i hear good things. freeman lake in e town is sweet. i watched nikko win the ky state champs there last year and played a few rounds.. really nice...

If you are willling to drive the distance, you have to try the Bowling Green area. Based on the population, there is a great number of courses in that area.

Since you have some locals joining you from the Cinci/NKY, you should be in good hands for the playing the courses in the area. Idlewild, Lincoln Ridge, and Mt Airy are the top courses in the area. You have to play the Boone County course because it is located between Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge and a nice warm up for those 2 behemoths. Mt Airy has a clubhouse filled with disc for sale.

The Woodland Mound course retains around 70% of Steady Ed's design. Play for the history of it.

For camping and disc golf in the immediate area, I would have to go with the AJ Jolly course with its lake filled with big catfish.

If you have the time, the Dayton OH area has a few gems like Englewood and the excellent Handyman Ace.

Charlie Vettiner in Louisville is a quality course definitely worth playing, especially since it's on the way from Idlewild to Holler.

Just across the river from Louisville (about 35 min from Vettiner) is another great championship course at Seviren Lang DGC. There's camping available at Buffalo Trace which has a course on site and is just up the road from Seviren.

Here's the link to get in contact with Buffalo Trace if you want to camp there: http://www.harrisoncoparks.com/BTP.html

The Woodland Mound course retains around 70% of Steady Ed's design. Play for the history of it.

For camping and disc golf in the immediate area, I would have to go with the AJ Jolly course with its lake filled with big catfish.

I didn't know Woodland Mound was a Steady Ed design. I'll have to hit it up next time I'm up that way just because of that. AJ Jolly is pretty fun, a little out of the way, but worth it if you're out near Alexandria.

Thanks for all the input everyone, I'm going to work on solidifying some plans but keep the ideas comin'! So many great courses!

Let me know when you plan on playing Lincoln Ridge (which is a MUST if you're in the area). I live a mile away and can throw a round w/ ya.

If your looking for a "hidden gem" hit up Muldraugh just outside Ft. Knox. It's been 6/7 years since I've played it. But the pics looks like the locals have been doing an AWESOME job! I need to get down there this year, I love wooded courses.

Trying to get some dates nailed in, can anyone confirm any tourneys at Idlewild or Lincoln Ridge anytime in May? I don't see any but want to be sure.

Don't waste your time with Woodland Mound (unless you are a AM), I would not go back there, many holes are under 230' or less!

Trying to get some dates nailed in, can anyone confirm any tourneys at Idlewild or Lincoln Ridge anytime in May? I don't see any but want to be sure.

The Disc 'N' Dat Bluegrass Open is what you're looking for. Its an A-tier on Memorial Day weekend. Two rounds at Idlewild and if that weren't enough, two rounds the next day at Lincoln Ridge.

Another big tourney in KY during May is the Southern Kentucky Championships around Bowling Green. Its literally the weekend before Disc 'N' Dat. A-tier USDGC qualifier on May 21-22. Upper divisions play two rounds at Holler In The Hills with lunch provided free. Next day is one round at Ephram White and one round of Kerieakis longs.

Latest posts