• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

klodkrawler's lefty bag

Thanks! This is really useful info. My next question was actually about the extra overstable discs like the Drone, Gator, and Buzzz OS, but it sounds like they wouldn't be good for me. I actually found a deal today on a slightly used max weight (180g) Champion Roc3, so I will try that out to fill the overstable slot. I heard the Malta was essentially Paul McBeth creating a custom Discraft version of his old Roc3s during his Innova years. Hopefully the Champ Roc3 works well for me, the Shark will fill the straight slot, and I'll probably remove the Mako3.

I have a lot of experience throwing forehands for ultimate frisbee, but it doesn't seem to translate as well for disc golf. Ultimate frisbee forehands are more about creating spin through wrist flick, whereas I've heard disc golf forehands are kind of like sidearm throws in baseball that are more depending on shoulder/elbow. The difficulty for me is that I'm actually right handed (and threw righty for baseball), so I lack some of the arm strength in my left arm. What kind of discs do you find work best for FH? Overstable or understable? Deeper or shallower rim?

I could see one of the super OS discs having a place if you play a lot of windy courses, but it seems to be rare enough for me that I just power down a beefy fairway like a thunderbird/firebird.

I feel like I've heard the opposite, too many novices seem to use too much arm and not enough wrist snap when they throw forehand. so if you've got lots of snap on your forehands already it should just be a matter of adding in some more arm while maintaining that snap. I'm curious, what made you start playing disc golf left handed? You're actually the second person I know like that, my buddy I play with weekly is right handed and started out lefty, he's been re-learning the game right handed lately and is improving rapidly. I'm kind of jealous of him being able to throw BH both directions because he doesn't even have to worry about a forehand unless it's a scramble shot where his BH is obstructed.
Working best is a bit subjective. I like to practice forehand with more neutral to understable discs, Just like with back hand, the less stable and more "touchy" a disc is, the better it is at showing flaws in your form. Something really overstable will hide a lot of issues. I find it's pretty tough to flick something as understable as an archer (although I do mess with that occasionally to try to practice little hyzer flip forehands) but something like the mako3 is a great training tool because it won't hide any flaws, turned over your wrist slightly? yup, it'll show you, bad release? it'll wobble like crazy. I'm trying to play a Mako3 forehand only round at least once a month at our local pitch and putt course because it gives me some forced practice trying to really smooth the shots.
But generally speaking, more stable discs tend to work better for forehand because they're harder to accidentally turn over, which is something I find I'm prone to do. During normal rounds my go to's are Zone, Malta, Undertaker, Thunderbird, Firebird. And then the mako3 for get out of jail anny forehands that stay on anny all the way to the ground. coming from an Ultimate background I would have to guess you'd feel more comfortable with a more shallow disc like a putt and approach type zone/harp/pig/tactic than you would a super wide rim driver

I think maybe the reason I'm hearing that more arm - rather than wrist - is needed is because I've only played disc golf with people who have an ultimate frisbee background.

It's kind of an interesting story, plus I'm semi-ambidextrous to start with. I'm better with my right when it comes to arm/strength related things, but I'm better with my left for wrist/accuracy things. When I first started to get serious with ultimate in college, I had a solid lefty backhand (which is basically rotation in the same direction as my righty golf swing, which I played competitively in high school and college. I also play basketball left-handed, so I get more wrist flick with that hand.) and a decent righty forehand (from playing baseball right-handed). However, in ultimate, since you have someone actively marking you and need to be able to throw to both sides of your body, I had to either decide to go fully righty or fully lefty. In ultimate, being lefty is an advantage since your release points are opposite to what people are used to guarding, so I learned a lefty flick/forehand. I also ended up learning both a right and lefty hammer (ultimate version of a tomahawk), as well as a short to medium range offhand/righty backhand, which is starting to have a lot of utility in the modern ultimate game.

However, my lefty forehand is maybe only 80% of the power of my righty forehand, and my righty backhand is less than 50% of my lefty backhand. It seems like I'd be better off just improving my lefty forehand rather than trying to throw both backhands like your friend. I think I will try practicing with the Mako3 like you said. Eventually, a forehand with my Zone would probably be a super useful approach shot.

My issue when trying forehands is that I don't turn over my wrist at all, since I'm used to ultimate, where frisbees need to be released more Inside-Out (hyzer) the more power that you put on it. In disc golf terms, I guess you could say frisbees (Discraft Ultrastar) are super understable and are best thrown hyzer flipping up to flat and then continuing straight with the slightest bit of anhyzer finish at the end.

Current bag
Distance Drivers
- 156g pop top proto Hades
- Surge SS

Fairway Drivers
Night Strike 2 FD
Luster C FD
'18 Sexton Firebird
'19 Big Jerm Thunderbird
ESP Undertaker
Neo Essence

Midrange:
Cryztal Wasp
Mako3
Z Archer

Putt/Approach:
2 Fireflies
Beat up 1st run Fierce
Cryztal Fierce
Z Zone

The above is what I've started considering my core workhorse setup. It fits in my CS15, Homemade Zuca, AX4. Then I've been shuffling the other discs below in as Course and bag/cart space allows.

Z Sol, recently acquired this. Not entirely sure what it does differently than the mako/archer/cryztal fierce, but sometimes it's just fun to try new stuff.
Malta (identical flight to the wasp, more comfy for FH)
ESP Archer (super flippy turnover/get out of jail disc)
Super beat 18 Firebird (teebird/thunderbird lines, firebird skip)
Star Teebird (straight to fade, working on beating this into a dx teebird flight)
DX Teebird (magical disc, laser beams as far as I can possibly throw)
Neo Method (beef cake, mid, like a zone but longer)

I still seem to have the most overlap in fairway drivers, but perhaps that makes sense given how often I use them off the tee.
Additionally My fierce hasn't been getting much use off the tee lately, but I've been sticking to wooded courses where low line drive tee shots seem to suit the mako3 better than the fierce. But it's still the disc I hope I can use on pretty much any upshot.

20 days later, lets switch up the bag for no reason. AKA, my Black Friday mystery boxes arrived.

I now have some contention in the overstable utility department. I've been doing some field work with a newly aquired G-PD against Firebird, against thunderbird.

Thrown as closely to identical as I can muster The G-PD seems like it generally carries 5-10' further but winds up just as far to the side as the Firebird. The difference comes near the end of flight, the PD seems to glide over to the side whereas the FB just dumps out of the sky. I'm guessing that difference is probably the reason it usually winds up a bit longer too. I haven't had a chance to play with the PD on an actual course to see how the skips compare to the FB but that will be the deciding factor which stays in my bag since I usually am counting on that ground action to help move me even further to the side when I throw a FB.

I also bought a stack of the glow fireflys when Innova released those, so now sitting on ample backups I can finally fulfil my desire of using one as a driving putter. This likely kicks the cryztal fierce out of my core bag. but I'd consider bagging both if I was anticipating throwing a lot of putters that day.

Lastly, I think I may have finally clicked with a fairly neutral fairway in the Discmania MD3. in it's brand new form it seems to be matching my quite beat in Cryztal wasp for flight, released on hyzer it'll hold hyzer, released flat it'll turn before fighting back to center, released on anny it'll hold for quite a while before fighting out just enough to land flat and prevent a cut roll.

The last week or so I've managed to get 3 rounds in at the local wooded course and have been playing from the shorts with only the MD3 and a firefly. it's been a pretty interesting experiment seeing how many shots I can manipulate with just 2 discs, and the consistency in flight. When a shot goes bad I immediately get another chance to throw that same disc, as opposed to bagging a longer course with a full bag I may go 3-4 holes before touching that disc again. Another interesting benefit of that is it changes from par 58 to par 54, and on those longer holes I get the chance to see the course teeing off from a new spot. Multiple times I've had the thought, "wow, I should just lay up to this tee and play from there" but I never do, I always play past that spot and seem to pinch myself off or otherwise mess up my next throw. Sunday League resumes and I plan to play all my tee shots on those par 4's just up to the short tee, where I now know I can easily take a par or potentially even a birdie.

The MD3 has made my bag rotation, I've noticed since adding it I don't throw the wasp or mako3 as much. Spots where I'd normally hang the wasp out to the left more and let it fade to the pin I've been throwing the MD3 more straight at it or just barely left of the pin. I'm not sure that I've filled a hole in my bag with this disc as much as it's just stealing the flip up shots from the Mako and some of the soft hyzer shots from the wasp.

The PD didn't make the cut for me. I though I was going to like its more glidey hyzer finish vs the firebirds harder finish. but, at least in G plastic, the PD has more early turn rather than the straight flight of the FB and wasn't fitting the shots I wanted as well. I do have an S line plastic PD I might test out as but this is such a seldom used slot for me anyways I'm not sure it bears testing anything else.

The MD3 is a great mid. Although it isn't currently in my bag, I am sure I will dig into my stack of color glow or metal flake glow MD3's soon and put a couple back in.

We got about 14" of very light, fluffy snow this weekend, I decided I didn't want to lose anything I'm currently bagging since there's a tournament next weekend so I pulled out some discs I haven't totally clicked with and taped ribbons onto them for yesterdays league round.
Fairways
C-line CD2
C-line TD
Star Teebird
Z Mantis (Big z? it's not translucent)
Mids
ESP Comet
Star Mako3
Zflx Buzzz
Z glo wasp
Putt/Approach
Z Zone
I-blend Alpaca
Firefly (for putting)

I had thrown the CD2 a little this past spring and remember being disappointed in how beefy it was after reading so much about how straight of a disc it was. Throwing it yesterday I was surprised at how much straighter it was than I remember, I wasn't throwing particularly well, but this disc seems like it could deserve a tryout against my undertaker.

C-line TD, more stable than I was expecting, for all the hype about being a longer FD, maybe I just don't have the form for it, or the cold weather was playing tricks on me, but it seems to be more like a slightly more OS night strike 2, or even a color glow FD2. I didn't throw this much.

Star Teebird, bought this to use in my FD slot so I don't have to lose an FD. I think this disc has potential once it gets beat in and gains some glide, but for now it's just another stable fairway, nothing too special.

Z-ish, Mantis, This was probably my favorite of the day, with the colder weather, extra layers, compromised footing etc all conspiring to make throws softer/shorter, I was occasionally able to get some nice distance from this disc and carve some decent lines. It needs more hyzer release than my Essence to carve the same lines, but seems like it has some potential and may be worth re-visiting in warmer temp for panning turnovers.

ESP Comet, I want to get some more time in with this disc, I think it could be a replacement for my SOL. I like the sol but have never been crazy about how short it feels in the hand. I also felt like the comet was just a bit more predictable, like out of my hand I knew what the comet would be doing through its flight, whereas the sol feels more like lets wait and see if it does what I expect or not.

Star mako3, this is new, the champ mako3 I normally bag is pretty well used, so they seem to fly pretty identically. nothing to report here.

Zflx buzzz, This is the buzzz that could almost convince me to like Buzzz's. I still don't know if I 100% click with them, but the zflx in cold weather is such a nice feel, and it does what you ask. If I hadn't just gone all in on MD3's shortly before all this snow fall I'd probably try to track down another 1-2 of these to work into the bag.

Z wasp, pretty much what you'd expect from a wasp, I tried using this on a couple shots where I'd normally use the method. It's a bit touchy to commit to the right amount of hyzer to really mimic that super overstable shot, but for winter golf it worked well enough, and gave some more practice working on angles.

Z zone, didn't have anything to replace this and since I usually just use it for 100-150' approaches I figured the risk of losing it was low.

I-blend Alpaca, This was the disc I was most excited to try out, I'd rather throw an $11 infinite disc than a hard to find firefly or cryztal fierce in this slot, unfortunately my round never provided me a single shot to try this out. I was either too far out with my reduced distance and was clubbing up to a midrange on my approaches or I was close enough to the pin that I was trying to putt with my firefly. I'm sure this disc will see plenty of use later on once things start to thaw out.

Overall no ground breaking revolutions, I think I'm finally past the honeymoon phase of DG where I expect each new disc will somehow shave 10 strokes off my round. I did find a couple of discs that are close enough facsimiles to stuff I normally bag that I may have a couple ribbon discs in my tournament bag in case we are allowed to use them this weekend.

I messed around with an S Line TD (pond find, but pretty much brand new). I've got maybe a dozen 9+ speeds that I can throw straight with minimal fade to pretty much the same distance. I expected the TD to be somewhere in that neighborhood, but it was a consistent 30 feet shorter.

I messed around with an S Line TD (pond find, but pretty much brand new). I've got maybe a dozen 9+ speeds that I can throw straight with minimal fade to pretty much the same distance. I expected the TD to be somewhere in that neighborhood, but it was a consistent 30 feet shorter.

That jives with my experience, One of the holes I tried it on is straight across a wide open field, and then hyzering right into a pocket of the woods. There's a large grove of shrubby bushes that guard the apex of the corner, I can usually get around those and finish somewhere inside the gap with my Essence, FD, Hades, depending how I try to attack it. worst case I'm always looking into the gap. Threw the TD and finished well early hyzer'd into those shrubs. I was able to manufacture a pretty sweet scramble for par, but I haven't been short and right on that hole in quite a while.

Shot a new PB at a local course on Saturday, as well as my highest rated round ever (936) Figured that was a good time to check out the bag update since I first started this thread 9 months ago.

Distance Driver
- 156g domey Discraft Hades proto

Fairway Drivers
Discmania Night Strike 2 FD
Infinite Centurion Swirly-S blend bagging a pair of these in 166g and 175g
'18 Sexton Firebird
'19 Big Jerm Thunderbird
ESP Discraft Undertaker
Discmania Neo Essence

Midrange:
Discmania Neo Method
Discraft Wasp Cryztal Z
Discmania Color Glow C-line MD3
175g Champion Innova Mako3
168g Color Glow Champion Innova Mako3
Discraft Archer Z plastic

Putt/Approach:
2 Innova Fireflies one for putting, one for throwing
Discraft Fierce Cryztal Z
Discraft Zone Z
Discraft Fierce Rubber Blend

Overall my bag has grown by 3, and I've definitely found I'm not using all of these every course. I guess this is my "tournament" or the setup I'll often take for courses I'm unfamiliar with. Casual rounds, or rounds at courses I know what shots I'm throwing I'll usually pull out 3-5 discs.

Current Bag:

Distance Drivers
- 167g Star Wraith
- 175 FR Scorch

Fairway Drivers
'18 Sexton Firebird
'19 Big Jerm Thunderbird
AB Color Glow Teebird 3
Uli Cryztal Mantis
ESP Discraft Undertaker
Discmania Night Strike 2 FD
Discmania Neo Essence Pink pretty beat in and flippy
Discmania Neo Essence Dyed new this spring, more straight with a touch of turn if thrown hard flat

Midrange:
Discmania Neo Method
Discraft Wasp Cryztal Z
Discmania Color Glow C-line MD3
175g Champion Innova Mako3
Discraft Archer Z plastic

Putt/Approach:
Discraft Crytal Ringer
Discraft Fierce Cryztal Z
Discraft Zone Z
Discraft Fierce Rubber Blend
Innova Firefly

I'm annoyed that every time I post here my ITB count has grown. The tricky part is I find myself throwing some of the discs multiple times at one course, and then I don't touch them at another course. I'm ok with bagging 1-2 utility discs that don't see frequent use, because nothing I bag has that overstable skippy utility of a firebird. And if I don't use it, that means it was a good day.

The scorch has replaced my 156g proto hades I unfortunately lost. it's not an exact 1:1 replacement but it works well enough. The ringer has been stealing a ton of my zone shots because there's many times I don't truly need all the beef of a zone. The mantis and TB3 are currently in testing to become the new go to "some glide, straight to fade no turn" slot now that the FD has worked into a more true to numbers FD flight.

In an effort to try to pare down my bag some (or at least determine if I can leave out certain discs at certain courses) I've decided to start keeping a shot count during my rounds. for posterity I'm going to keep shot counts in this thread.

Johnson Park 48 shots (-6)
Firefly 21
Ringer 5
Pink Essence 4
RB Fierce 4
Wasp 3
Zone 3
Dyed Essence 2
Scorch 1
TB3 1
Mantis 1
Archer 1
Method 1
Cryztal Fierce 1

Unthrown discs: Wraith, FB, ThundyB, Undertaker, FD, MD3, Mako3

I feel like you could probably trim a couple of your fairways from the TB3 to the Essense. If you wanted.

With that said, fairways always seem to have the most redundancy in my bag. Distance drivers are what goes longest and what goes long and is reliable in wind. And it seems like it is pretty easy figure out what you like with mids and putters. But for some reason, I always end up with about three 9 speeds that fly exactly like my cycle of DX Teebirds.

I agree that's where my most redundancy is, I have 5 or less molds for each other category and even those could be pared down to 3-4 if I wanted too.

I think where I struggle with fairways is that I usually prefer to have a disc make the shape rather than force a disc to do the shape. My game definitely struggles to shape shots as the power increases, I could pretty much play with a single midrange at most courses and just change my angles, but at fairway power I really struggle with changing the angles and getting them to stay on line the entire flight.
I think the lack of a solid forehand hurts on disc count also, I wind up with 3 fairways to mimic various stabilities of RHBH shots and 4 discs for LHBH shapes plus a utility disc.

Tracking shot counts has turned out to be fairly interesting, especially at wooded courses with scrambling. Saturday I shot a +3 (61) and last night I shot a +2 (60) last nights round was going far better until the last 4 holes after catching up to an extremely slow group and finishing out my last 3 holes in the pitch dark using my phone to charge glow discs while my wife spotted (and I consequently took 4 bogeys in a row on a stretch I usually go even or +1 on)
(First Column, 60, second column 61)
Cryztal Fierce 1 0
Dyed Essence 2 4
Firefly 28 27
Force 2 2
Mako3 6 3
Mantis 0 3
MD3 0 2
NS2 FD 1 2
Pink Essesnce 1 1
Rubber Fierce 1 2
Scorch 2 2
Teebird 3 1 0
Thunderbird 1 2
Uli Ringer 3 5
Wasp 0 1
Wraith 0 1
Z Archer 2 2
Zone 1 1
*PekaPeka 5 NB
*Proto Hades 3 NB
*DX Teebird NB 1
*Method NB 0

Un-used discs: Firebird, Undertaker

Compared to the more open course a wider variety of my bag is getting used, the * designates discs that I moved into my bag for 1 of the rounds to try out.
Not that I needed yet another speed 7-9 sort of straight/stable fairway driver but needing glow discs and the recent thread about the Pekapeka baited me into testing it out. I've got new discitis, during the round I birdied 2 holes throwing it off the tee, one I've never got the birdie on before I had a 10' putt and another I've only gotten 2 other times I had another 12-15' putt.

I need to do some fieldwork with the undertaker and see if it still has a slot in my bag, originally it came to the bag as my straight ish forehand disc, but lately I've been throwing the essence or the mako3 backhand where I would've been throwing the undertaker FH so it hasn't seen much air time.

Played random flip doubles league last night, I didn't track every shot since there were times I wound up throwing discs I wouldn't usually due to more aggressive attempts or winding up in spots I wouldn't normally. I did track my tee shots and unused discs though.
off the tee:
Dyed Essence 4x
Scorch 4x
Mako3 3x
Pink Essence 2x
TB3 1x
Firebird 1x
Hades 1x
NS2 FD 1x
MD3 1x

Unused discs: Wraith, Wasp, Archer, PekaPeka, Cryztal Fierce, Thunderbird, Undertaker, Force

I really need to make an effort to throw that soon, I know so many people like them, but we've just never clicked that well.

I've got one in ESP that I need to sell. Because I don't like it at all. If I throw it on hyzer, it doesn't flip up and it doesn't go particularly far. But if I throw it flat or yank on it a bit or throw it in a headwind, it turns. I strongly prefer the Valks/Vikings/Escapes that I've thrown.

I had picked up the ESP Undertaker because I saw folks on here saying they were the glidiest/straightest ones, but I find myself leaning on my forehand hardly ever off the tee unless it's realllllllly the best option by a long shot, and then I've got the TB3 which seems to go just as far/straight as the undertaker and it's color glow which I far prefer the feel of over slippery ESP, or for more distance I've got the scorch/wraith for forehand now too.

Latest posts