• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Know any disc golf courses designed by Schrickel Rollins & Associates (SRA) ??

Rodmon

I've been called to design a small cheap 9 hole course, with land set aside in a new RV campground. Instead of payment for services, I was promised another gig, an 18 Hole course with a much larger budget and much more challenging. I did some preliminary work, and now I'm told, said second course will be created by the design firm Schrickel Rollins and Associates (SRA).

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/images/smilies/banghead.gif

Has anyone heard anything about Schrickel Rollins and Associates (SRA) designing a disc golf course anywhere?

Because I can not find anything on the web stating Schrickel Rollins and Associates knows anything about disc golf nor how to design a disc golf course. It's not a round ball golf course, not a softball field and not an outdoor basketball court. Why do old school architects think they can design a disc golf course when they don't know the sport?

Many times, architect firms get the overall contract and subcontract the design to someone who knows what they are doing. I would ask to find out.

Many times, architect firms get the overall contract and subcontract the design to someone who knows what they are doing. I would ask to find out.

This. A GC is not always the person doing the work directly just helping along the process.

We've got a landscape architect here in IL that fancies himself a course designer- not good. There are a few firms that do hire a disc golf consultant, though.

Last edited:
Well, on the bright side, I guess we've grown to the point that outsiders are nudging their way in the course design. Wasn't much of a problem 20 years ago.

Why do old school architects think they can design a disc golf course when they don't know the sport?

If an architect with no knowledge of disc golf designs a bad course, don't blame the architect. Instead, blame the client who was too cheap to pay for the architect to hire disc golf specific consultants.

Frank Ghery is America's best known architect. The dude's like 90 years old. There is no more "old school architect" alive today. But the list of consultants that his office hired for a project like, say, Disney Concert Hall would have been longer than the list of entrants for the GBO. If someone were to hire Frank's office to design a course, the concept of disc golf consultants would have come up in the first meeting before everyone sat down at the conference table.

Architects employ consultants. That's a big reason why most people are too cheap to hire architects. #discgolfrich

There is nothing to tell them they can't design a disc golf course. How many of the courses in the ground are a result of nobody telling the local player they couldn't design a course?

I've worked with several Contractors as their designated disc golf designer. If you have knowledge about course design that they don't, present your case to them. If you have expertise that they don't, they'd be smart to bring you in on the team. (Or perhaps conduct a search for the best designer they can find.)

I wish East Harbor SP had hired someone to design their course. Instead, they left it to the non-throwing park ranger :doh:

I wish East Harbor SP had hired someone to design their course. Instead, they left it to the non-throwing park ranger :doh:

And it really sucks. Not as bad this time of year though.

Latest posts