• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Kraken

I can appreciate the innovations they are trying to add to the backpack market, but with a price point of $230, I don't see this sticking around too long. Bag manufacturer's need to take a page out of DD's book. The Ranger bag for example offer's up similar functionality with a pretty decent replacement warranty, yet it is priced to sell. If you want to be in the bag industry, make a splash and don't overprice your bag. If this bag were to get listed at say $150, it would probably be one of the most popular bags out there. If the price point is set at $230 because of the build cost and materials, then try to make the presentation look more polished and worth the $230 before delivering it to market.

He does have a point here, but again things made domestic are going to cost more for reasons. This bag is built like a tank and will take punishment like a tank (built to last is always a great thing) but more people will buy something flashy, more polished, and less expensive. The Kraken is very innovative especially in the storage areas, but i think a lot of people are going to overlook that because of price and looks. I really hope the Kraken and possibly other related bags in the possible future work out well. This is taking the bag innovation one step closer to something amazing!

Hey Keith, just warning you ahead of time, for the record, this is a very tough crowd.
They will complain about everything, no matter what.
It will never be cheap enough or designed correctly.
Keep up the good work, and moving forward with what you know is a good bag.

Thanks again HybridZombiw, I agree, and I know that until it is seen in person & gets out there, that there will be all kinds of doubt and criticism.
Thanks mattc, appreciate the support!!

This bag made at low quantities in the USA... will cost around $80-100ea to make.

PLEASE let me know who in the US can sew these up and have them available at my shop in Seattle for that price per bag. Regardless of the quantity, if you really know of ANYONE, please let me know.

This bag made at low quantities in the USA... will cost around $80-100ea to make.

I was exaggerating but I've had the same Jansport for over 12 years and it's still showing no signs of breaking down anytime soon. Hiking, snowboarding, biking, 4 years of college lugging around thick textbooks and a laptop 5 days a week... Paid $70 for it with all the bells and whistles. Daisy chain, double drink holders, waist and chest strap, multiple compartments, super durable material thus far, extremely padded straps and back with no signs of separation. I feel I can easily expect at least 20 years of use after all is said and done.

If they slapped Grip on it they could charge people $260 for it.

People can spend their money however they want, I'm just tired of seeing golf bag after golf bag at the $200+ price point simply because disc golfers are lining up to get bilked.

Last edited:
I was exaggerating but I've had the same Jansport for over 12 years and it's still showing no signs of breaking down anytime soon. Hiking, snowboarding, biking, 4 years of college lugging around thick textbooks and a laptop 5 days a week... Paid $70 for it with all the bells and whistles. Daisy chain, double drink holders, waist and chest strap, multiple compartments, super durable material thus far, extremely padded straps and back with no signs of separation. I feel I can easily expect at least 20 years of use after all is said and done.

If they slapped Grip on it they could charge people $260 for it.

People can spend their money however they want, I'm just tired of seeing golf bag after golf bag at the $200+ price point simply because disc golfers are lining up to get bilked.

I respectfully disagree. You are comparing apples to oranges. Go to REI and look at daypacks (roughly the size of a Grip bag). $150-$200 for a nice Osprey or Gregory. A big challenge for these disc golf bag companies is no economies of scale. The market for school packs and daypacks is HUGE. Not so much for dg. The former are running thousands if not tens of thousands per year. DG...much lower quantities.

I'm an accounting major I understand fixed/variable costs and economies of scale just fine. That still doesn't mean the bags sold to disc golfers aren't overpriced.

Necessity is the mother of invention. The only reason companies can charge this much is because people are willing to pay it. That's their choice but in my opinion it's ridiculous.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has contacted a major company about signing a small production contract with one of the big bag makers and how it went. Ogio makes the DD bags and manage to keep them at $175. That's a start as far as I'm concerned.

I'm an accounting major I understand fixed/variable costs and economies of scale just fine. That still doesn't mean the bags sold to disc golfers aren't overpriced.

Necessity is the mother of invention. The only reason companies can charge this much is because people are willing to pay it. That's their choice but in my opinion it's ridiculous.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has contacted a major company about signing a small production contract with one of the big bag makers and how it went. Ogio makes the DD bags and manage to keep them at $175. That's a start as far as I'm concerned.

Hey HiFi, when is your disc golf bag getting released? I've been dying to buy a bag like this and not get "bilked". :\

I think the cliche you wanted was "The Law of Supply and Demand." However, if no backpack manufacturer offers a lower priced bag, that "law" doesn't work regardless of the supply excess.

There is, of course, HuJu ... not to mention the various companies offering pre-order pricing (where you usually get something close to but not exactly what you thought you bought)..

Hey Keith, just warning you ahead of time, for the record, this is a very tough crowd.

Straps looked a little slim and thin, especially if you're going to be toting a large amount of junk. I like like how much forethought it looks like was put into the bag design though. More bag competition is always good for us consumers. Good luck

Kilgus thought the Catalyst was a good bag.

for 230$ i would want it to function as a stool. i don't want to feel like a homeless person carrying everything they own all the time.

otherwise, i like it! seems like a great bag. who cares how it looks.

for 230$ i would want it to function as a stool. i don't want to feel like a homeless person carrying everything they own all the time.

otherwise, i like it! seems like a great bag. who cares how it looks.

From what I know, there's only one bag that does this.

(Aesthetics matter to most people. If something looks cheap or ugly, many people will shy away.)

Latest posts