• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lake Tahoe

Bangchains

Going to be in Lake Tahoe for four days playing everyday. Can anyone tell me what are the absolutely must play courses? Looking for the most challenge possible. Also, are understable discs better for the elevation there similar to Colorado? Thanks.

The only course that I've played at Tahoe is Zephyr Cove. Researching 3 years ago before driving through this seemed like the best. It was very good. It is my wife's favorite of the couple of dozen courses that she has played with me.

Bijou, kirkwood, north tahoe regional (aka tahoe vista), sierra college, squaw, turtle rock and zephyr are all must play. Bring understable plastic.

Day 1 - Bijou and Zephyr
Day 2 - Turtle Rock and Kirkwood
Day 3 - Tahoe Vista and Sierra College
Day 4 - Squaw

Last edited:
I played 10 courses on a trip to Tahoe trip last year. Squaw Valley was not open. It is so tough to pick a favorite, they are all great courses. Maybe Kirkwood because I love playing Ski Resort Courses. Maybe Tahoe Vista or Zephyr Cove because of the variety and the views. I also like Sierra College for the challenge and having the whole place to yourself.

Top Six - No particular order -

Turtle Rock
Kirkwood
Bijou
Zephyr Cove
Sierra College
Tahoe Vista

I agree with Temple of Doom about daily groupings. All of these courses (except Bijou) are very rugged with elevation changes. Bring your most understable plastic!

There are also a couple of top rated courses in Reno that I didn't get a chance to play.

I live at 7k feet in Colorado and discs fly the exact same was in Tahoe. Tons of glide but difficult to flip most discs.

Bijou, kirkwood, north tahoe regional (aka tahoe vista), sierra college, squaw, turtle rock and zephyr are all must play. Bring understable plastic.

Day 1 - Bijou and Zephyr
Day 2 - Turtle Rock and Kirkwood
Day 3 - Tahoe Vista and Sierra College
Day 4 - Squaw

I live in Tahoe and this is very accurate. However, be prepared to cough up $30 to play squaw. The course is at the top of the mountain and you need to buy a tram ticket to get up there. If you don't want to do that, substitute out squaw for truckee river and incline village.

Apparently, the geniuses at Squaw left the baskets out again this winter. Probably best to skip it if you don't feel like spending beaucoup bucks putting at broken baskets.

How would you rate them in order. I have played zephyr. Not sure which way to go around the lake for new course

Are Reno area courses fairly playable in mid April? I was looking, some courses had mid June opening dates. Need to use vacation time, and I want to play some new courses. I know it might be dicey in the weather department and need some local advice.

Should I book it?

Latest posts