• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Las Vegas

vonDrehle

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I am going to be going to Las Vegas next week. I just wanted to see if anyone could recommend one of the courses in that area. I am not sure when I will play, or if I even will get to, but if I do play one I would rather play the best in the area rather than the worst.

I've never played the courses in Las Vegas but if it were me I guess I would play Sunset Park. Doing a search on this site shows there are six courses in Vegas. Of those six there are only three that have a rating of three discs. Of those three it has the the most baskets and it has dual tee pads. That's not to say that automatically makes it better than the others but perhaps it offers more variety. It looks like it's the oldest course there so I would expect it to the most "matured." By that I mean it probably has the largest trees. It has the most reviews as well.

Mountain Crest Park would probably be my second choice. But man does that look like one wide open course.

Red Ridge only has three reviews and only one picture. By the sounds of the reviews it sounds like the challenge for that 9 hole course is staying away from the OBs. I get the feeling there very few natural obstacles (trees) there.

Just my two cents.

It's certainly going to be a change of scenery. After playing the courses in North Carolina, it's going to seem pretty barren to you. At least you won't have to worry about losing any discs, right?

Sunset is a nice open park style course with lots of artificial ob (ball fields, tennis courts etc.), but there are some fun holes out there. If you do play there, make sure you cross the road after 18 to play the rest of the holes, that's the best part of the course. The only other course in LV I've played is Freedom, and as far as I know it's still closed for renovations.

I've played Sunset twice the last two times I was in Vegas. It's pretty open with just a little bit of trees. Nothing too hard. I made the mistake of not playing the extra holes tho :(. I've never been one to advocate not playing disc golf when you can but when your in Vegas...there are better things to do then play that course. But I've played disc everytime I've been there.

sunset is the best as well as most accessible (right by the airport) but it will be mediocre at best by your standards since you are from the mid-atlantic area. i haven't played mountain view but intend to next time out. (generally make vegas once a year- often wind up blowing disc golf off while i'm there for other entertainment)

sunset park is fun i have played that the last two time i have been out there. it is the only one that is available for someone with out a car or a friend with a car. the local bus will take you there from the stip or airport it is not too bad. last year we took a bus from airport to course then cab from course to hotel. it cost about the same as a cab from airport to hotel.

^What did you do with all your luggage? Just curious...

we were only there for two days so packed light in a backpack only brought 3 discs and then filled my nalgene before leaving airport. probably wouldn't work if you had a bunch of luggage. this year when i go i will probably do the same thing

Well I ended up not playing, at the airport on the way home now. I did win around $800 last night at the craps and Black jack table.

I liked Mtn Crest (2.5) better than Sunset (1.5). Given what they were to work with, I thought the design at Mtn Crest was superb - great use of the limited trees & terrain, and creative use of sidewalks as OB. One thing that is a lot nicer as well is the grass which was nice and lush green.

Unless you want to be extremely frustrated, stay away from Peccole Ranch (slot machines can be frustrating too!).

"creative use of sidewalks as OB"
doesn't this just indicate there shouldn't be a course there to begin with?

if i was forced to live in a desert state for some reason i wouldn't even play dg.

"creative use of sidewalks as OB"
doesn't this just indicate there shouldn't be a course there to begin with?

I suppose the same could be said about Winthrop Gold and the need for yellow ropes. :doh:

if i was forced to live in a desert state for some reason i wouldn't even play dg.

......or if you were forced to live in the northern suburbs of Chicago. I would probably be done with the game if my job did not take me to Milwaukee on a regular basis (and the hope of getting a legit and good Blue level par 65 course installed 5 miles from my home).

Seriously though, I actually think the designers of Mountain Crest did a really good job and have created an average sort of DG experience out of almost nothing to work with. There are courses with much more raw potential that have a much lower ability to draw me back to themselves (lower addiction factor).

Speaking of Mecca while I was sitting outside in Vegas getting some fresh air a guy sat to the right of me, took of his shoes, and started praying. I can only guess that we were facing east.

Woohoo! My home course. Doesn't look very menacing, but those few trees we have find their way to mess up your shot. Also the ballfields and basketball courts and that substation you have to climb a fence to get your disc back provide you with some interesting shot decisions... Also the busy street on right of the last few holes makes you think twice before throwing an overstable disc forehand. An enjoyable course overall, you can make some nice long open drives and meander your way around the trees usually guarding the basket

Woohoo! My home course. Doesn't look very menacing, but those few trees we have find their way to mess up your shot. Also the ballfields and basketball courts and that substation you have to climb a fence to get your disc back provide you with some interesting shot decisions... Also the busy street on right of the last few holes makes you think twice before throwing an overstable disc forehand. An enjoyable course overall, you can make some nice long open drives and meander your way around the trees usually guarding the basket

I"ll be there in april if want to meet up and throw a round. I'll PM you my details of when

Latest posts