• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Last Tip That Helped Your Game?;

TheBeardedFatGuy

Birdie Member
What's the last DG tip that helped your game in some way? Could be from a video, text or verbal.

For me it was in Schusterick's latest video. He advised not hooking the index finger all the way under the rim with the other fingers when doing a power grip. Instead, he said just barely hook it on the inner rim or you'll grip lock it. This was counter to what I thought was right, but it did seem to cut down on grip lock shanks without reducing snap or causing early release.

I am an eternal noob, but reading about bracing on HUB's site has definitely given me a bit more power. Specifically thinking about how swinging a bat LH is similar to RHBH. Its introduced some OAT, but it will be refined.

I am an eternal noob, but reading about bracing on HUB's site has definitely given me a bit more power. Specifically thinking about how swinging a bat LH is similar to RHBH. Its introduced some OAT, but it will be refined.

This is what helped me the most as well. I've tried to work on all different aspects with only marginal improvement at best.

When I started focusing on bracing, I started seeing some real gains. That's even in spite of the fact that I've been real cautious working on it since I have a slightly tweaked right knee.

Dave Dunipace's "snake strike" video. I am nailing way more putts from longer ranges by shortening my putting stroke and putting a bit more snap on it. May not work for everyone, depending on your putting style, but it has helped me a ton.

Perfecting my form with only playing with understable mids/putter for a round or 2 and learning the fan grip for a better release with these discs. Wil Sheurster recomended the US mids/putter round in a driving clinic I watched. I was turning over a lot of understable slow discs till I did this and had a bad wobble from a bad release. Still not perfect on the release but helped me out a ton on both problems.

This was a while ago, but my backhand drives were helped a lot simply by making my run-up more "diagonal" and planting my front foot ahead of my back one (with respect to the line to the target). This seemed to improve several things, helping me keep my hips closed longer and also improving the effectiveness of my reachback.

But possibly the best tip: have fun!

For me, it was a grip recommendation. As a spush putter (combo spin/push putter) a fellow spush putter suggested creating firm pressure between the thumb and forefinger at the rim while gripping the disc throughout the stroke - kind of pinching the rim.

The idea, I think, is to create some good friction as the disc leaves the hand, touching the thumb & forefinger last, before beginning its flight. Dave Dunnipace, in several vids, talks about this moment during the putting stroke. I folded this rec into my putting stroke and I immediately saw improved spin, distance and accuracy.

Good tip.

attachment.php

https://youtu.be/27hYx3_SI6E?t=157

Big Jerms Grip added 50' to my FH.

I'd always thrown like this:

res_oh07_02_lg.jpg

Which had me putting pressure on the fingers sideways - and while I made it work pretty well, it left quite a bit of my power on the table.

Pushing on the pad of my middle finger, I got a huge leap in power and zero wobble.

Attachments

• FHGrip.jpg
    FHGrip.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 218
attachment.php

https://youtu.be/27hYx3_SI6E?t=157

Big Jerms Grip added 50' to my FH.

I'd always thrown like this:

res_oh07_02_lg.jpg

Which had me putting pressure on the fingers sideways - and while I made it work pretty well, it left quite a bit of my power on the table.

Pushing on the pad of my middle finger, I got a huge leap in power and zero wobble.
Thank you for sharing this! :thmbup:
I never realized I was putting pressure on my fingers sideways. I can't wait to try out Jerms "improved" grip in a field tomorrow after work. I thought my sidearm grip was identical to Big Jerms...I was wrong.

For me, it was a grip recommendation. As a spush putter (combo spin/push putter) a fellow spush putter suggested creating firm pressure between the thumb and forefinger at the rim while gripping the disc throughout the stroke - kind of pinching the rim.

The idea, I think, is to create some good friction as the disc leaves the hand, touching the thumb & forefinger last, before beginning its flight. Dave Dunnipace, in several vids, talks about this moment during the putting stroke. I folded this rec into my putting stroke and I immediately saw improved spin, distance and accuracy.

Good tip.
This is something I just recently started doing myself when I got a fatter profile putter that I wanted to use regularly in conjunction with my thin profile putter, and this pinch putting grip lets me switch between putters easily, and improved my putting a huge amount. I used to have such a hard time and always fell short of the basket, this helped give me more power. I have always been a push putter, and developed this to just give it that spin that was missing for me. I also feel it is the true way to get the snake strike/steely stop feeling.

I've also applied this pinch grip concept to every other disc. It used to be hard for me to drive putters and mids, but with the pinch grip I don't care about where my middle+ ring+ pinky fingers go, and my drives have improved.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

This was a while ago, but Feldberg stating that they call it backhand because in your follow through, you should see the back of your hand (palm down). So simple and obvious, yet so helpful.

This is something I just recently started doing myself when I got a fatter profile putter that I wanted to use regularly in conjunction with my thin profile putter, and this pinch putting grip lets me switch between putters easily, and improved my putting a huge amount. I used to have such a hard time and always fell short of the basket, this helped give me more power. I have always been a push putter, and developed this to just give it that spin that was missing for me. I also feel it is the true way to get the snake strike/steely stop feeling.

I've also applied this pinch grip concept to every other disc. It used to be hard for me to drive putters and mids, but with the pinch grip I don't care about where my middle+ ring+ pinky fingers go, and my drives have improved.

:thmbup:

A video of a Stokely clinic where he credits Cam Todd (I think) with explaining if you're taking more than 2 seconds to visualize the putt you're getting to make you're losing effectiveness. Focus then putt.

A video of a Stokely clinic where he credits Cam Todd (I think) with explaining if you're taking more than 2 seconds to visualize the putt you're getting to make you're losing effectiveness. Focus then putt.

Whatever works, works but I go the other way on this. I get in my stance and think: how would I throw this to skip it off the top of the basket, then I take a practice stroke doing that. Then: how would I throw this to bang it into the cage, practice stroke that. Then: practice stroke in between those two, visualize that flight path and putt for real.

Getting a feeling for what not to do keeps me from doing it by accident. I make a lot more inside the circle putts this way and they are much closer to the center of the chains.

Relax... don't overthink... execute.

Of course, the muscle memory is already there. It's still mostly a mental game.

Dave Dunipace's "snake strike" video. I am nailing way more putts from longer ranges by shortening my putting stroke and putting a bit more snap on it. May not work for everyone, depending on your putting style, but it has helped me a ton.

That's a really good one that helped my putting quite a bit, too. :clap: