• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Lat 64 10 questions w Tomas

EL-KABONG

* Ace Member *
some of you have seen this already....but I forgot to put a link here.
Tomas Ekstrom (nordic dg god, and L64 design and production manager) was kind enough to answer 10 ?s about the 2011 worlds and L64 discs in general.

Interview with Tomas Ekström, Chief of Production and Design at LAT 64, Disc Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
August 17th 2011

L64L: How was your 'disc golf vacation' to the western United States/2011 Pro Worlds?
TE -It was great even though I didn't play very well. We met a lot of people, both old friends from the past and new business people.
The courses weren´t that nice to look at but I think they where fair and had some challenging holes, but also some "good luck" holes with trees in
the middle of the fairway etc. I´ve been in the states many times before so I know that the courses can be different from that we in europe are used to.
We had a good time and we from L64 is already talking about going back or even buy a house in florida there we can have our winter vacation.

L64L: What was the crowd reaction to your products at the Worlds Flymart?
TE -Very positive, but many people haven´t heard about us still, and that is something we must change.
We also talked to some of our competitors and they where all impressed over the feel of the plastic.

L64L: Most memorable event of your trip/Worlds?
TE -That must be driving on Highway 1. So beautiful!
Or, when I asked Climo to spoon me when I was laying in the grass on the course and he said that there wasn´t any spoon that large.

L64L: Alot of people compare L64 Opto Plastic (favorably, I might add) to the coveted Innova CE with regard to feel, grip, and durability:
How long did it take L64 to arrive at the perfect Opto formula?
TE -It took us a few months, we tested a few other plastics and blends at that time but we all liked the feel of the opto mix, and when we compared it to
Champion in durability we could see that we had a winner.

L64L: There has been a fair amount of clamoring on both sides of the pond for a premium plastic putter, particularly the Pure.
Since increasing numbers of people are learning to use and rely on putters for driving, not just for 'P and A,' do you have plans to release any stable driving putter in GL or Opto?
TE -All I can say is hopefully! We have had problems with molding the putters in premium plastic, that´s why we haven´t released anyone.
We will continue to work on it this fall/winter.

L64L: Will any of the Latitude 64 Baskets/Targets be available in the USA?
TE -We have had a lot of questions from the states about our targets but the problem is that the shipping is so expensive. The target it self isn´t cheap either
compared to competitors. So I doubt it, but who knows in the future. Maybe we could set up a L64 USA, that can handle the baskets etc.

L64L: You are definitely growing more and more popular in the USA and your relationship with Westside Discs (as their manufacturer) is definitely 'productive' as well.
Will you need to expand your manufacturing capabilities to match demand?
TE -Yes, we're actually going to move to a bigger facility this fall.

L64L: Your artwork and materials are definitely factors in sales. Though the discs perform as good as they look, some of your discs border on fine artwork.
As L64's designer and production manager, how hard is it to 'let them go' when it comes time to ship them?
TE -Not hard at all, i´ve seen the discs months before we released them so it´s just fun to see them spread out over the world.
The artwork and the name of the disc can be quite difficult to settle. Many times we need to vote for a name, and when that is done
I have to come up with a few artworks for the disc. And then the voting starts again
When that is done we usually test the name and the artwork with a few selected customers so we don't make the Slitz mistake again

L64L: Are there any plans to sponsor or support any USA players to help promote your products stateside?
TE -Yes!

L64L: Can you share any news on any future products/discs/bags etc...???
TE -Next up on the disc agenda is a new putter and more fairway drivers. We have a big gap in the line-up in the rim width 1.6-2.2cm,
that is something we must close. I´ve had a new bag on the drawing board for over a year now and hopefully will it be ready next spring.

LINKS
http://www.latitude64.se/

http://www.latitude64.se/system/visa.asp?HID=716&FID=606&HSID=12300

http://www.discgolfhalloffame.org/dghof-members/96-2010-inductees/80-tomas-ekstrom.html

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_205410532812817

Last edited:
I almost wrote that nothing could knock my teebird and eagle x outta the bag the other day...but now I will hafta see

New putter and bag could be good too

I speak for a lot of people in hoping that they can figure out a GL or Opto pure. Even if they have to tweak the mold a little to get the same flight in premium plastic

I would pee my pants for something that was more stable,with just as much glide in GL.

If anyone can do that,they can,don't let me down.

They would make about a trillion kroner if they busted out a color shift gl Pure

some of you have seen this already....but I forgot to put a link here.
Tomas Ekstrom (nordic dg god, and L64 design and production manager) was kind enough to answer 10 ?s about the 2011 worlds and L64 discs in general.

Interview with Tomas Ekström, Chief of Production and Design at LAT 64, Disc Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
August 17th 2011

L64L: How was your 'disc golf vacation' to the western United States/2011 Pro Worlds?
TE -It was great even though I didn't play very well. We met a lot of people, both old friends from the past and new business people.
The courses weren´t that nice to look at but I think they where fair and had some challenging holes, but also some "good luck" holes with trees in
the middle of the fairway etc.
I´ve been in the states many times before so I know that the courses can be different from that we in europe are used to.
We had a good time and we from L64 is already talking about going back or even buy a house in florida there we can have our winter vacation.

L64L: What was the crowd reaction to your products at the Worlds Flymart?
TE -Very positive, but many people haven´t heard about us still, and that is something we must change.
We also talked to some of our competitors and they where all impressed over the feel of the plastic.

L64L: Most memorable event of your trip/Worlds?
TE -That must be driving on Highway 1. So beautiful!
Or, when I asked Climo to spoon me when I was laying in the grass on the course and he said that there wasn´t any spoon that large.

L64L: Alot of people compare L64 Opto Plastic (favorably, I might add) to the coveted Innova CE with regard to feel, grip, and durability:
How long did it take L64 to arrive at the perfect Opto formula?
TE -It took us a few months, we tested a few other plastics and blends at that time but we all liked the feel of the opto mix, and when we compared it to
Champion in durability we could see that we had a winner.

L64L: There has been a fair amount of clamoring on both sides of the pond for a premium plastic putter, particularly the Pure.
Since increasing numbers of people are learning to use and rely on putters for driving, not just for 'P and A,' do you have plans to release any stable driving putter in GL or Opto?
TE -All I can say is hopefully! We have had problems with molding the putters in premium plastic, that´s why we haven´t released anyone.
We will continue to work on it this fall/winter.

L64L: Will any of the Latitude 64 Baskets/Targets be available in the USA?
TE -We have had a lot of questions from the states about our targets but the problem is that the shipping is so expensive. The target it self isn´t cheap either
compared to competitors. So I doubt it, but who knows in the future. Maybe we could set up a L64 USA, that can handle the baskets etc.

L64L: You are definitely growing more and more popular in the USA and your relationship with Westside Discs (as their manufacturer) is definitely 'productive' as well.
Will you need to expand your manufacturing capabilities to match demand?
TE -Yes, we're actually going to move to a bigger facility this fall.

L64L: Your artwork and materials are definitely factors in sales. Though the discs perform as good as they look, some of your discs border on fine artwork.
As L64's designer and production manager, how hard is it to 'let them go' when it comes time to ship them?
TE -Not hard at all, i´ve seen the discs months before we released them so it´s just fun to see them spread out over the world.
The artwork and the name of the disc can be quite difficult to settle. Many times we need to vote for a name, and when that is done
I have to come up with a few artworks for the disc. And then the voting starts again
When that is done we usually test the name and the artwork with a few selected customers so we don't make the Slitz mistake again

L64L: Are there any plans to sponsor or support any USA players to help promote your products stateside?
TE -Yes!

L64L: Can you share any news on any future products/discs/bags etc...???
TE -Next up on the disc agenda is a new putter and more fairway drivers. We have a big gap in the line-up in the rim width 1.6-2.2cm,
that is something we must close. I´ve had a new bag on the drawing board for over a year now and hopefully will it be ready next spring.

LINKS
http://www.latitude64.se/

http://www.latitude64.se/system/visa.asp?HID=716&FID=606&HSID=12300

http://www.discgolfhalloffame.org/dghof-members/96-2010-inductees/80-tomas-ekstrom.html

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_205410532812817

Hey buddy, you just played Delaveaga. If that is a nice course to look at then I want to see what you are playing on. Sorry I just had to get that out.

Thank you for posting the interview. I think new Lat 64 fairway drivers sound like a solid idea and look forward to seeing them.

I am also chewing my nails till I can get my hands on an opto/gl putter

Cheers - Koffee

Hey buddy, you just played Delaveaga. If that is a nice course to look at then I want to see what you are playing on. Sorry I just had to get that out.

Cali is a very hot climate. As such the landscapes here are very dry, burned out looking. Not quite as lush and forresty as courses in many other places. Some people don't like the desert look.

I wasn't even sure what mp was trying to say there. Mabybe just an " is" where there shoulda been an "isn't?" Either way, between the typo and qoutng the whole thing over again in order to "defend the beauty of dela" it just seemed a bit over the top to me. Tomas didn't mention dela specifically.

I saw alot of the footage from the worlds. It looked like alotta scrub chapparal, dust, and dry grass...so I can understand what Tomas was saying when comparing to euro

I live in california too...i just didn't take that comment personally.

Apologies for name calling tho Mike, that was not cool for my part.

I've been using a Westside Swan2 with their new Magnet-like rim for putting for a few weeks. Could it be that they take that new mold and make it in GL and Opto? It is a little more stable than a Pure in the base plastic. In GL or Opto it could be really nice. Maybe that's why we have Swan2 and no more Swan1??? Just food for thought.