• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Lat 64 Jade

I am still amazed at the stability of this disc; it throws easy, but it handles headwinds, oat, and rarely turns and burns, in spite of being a lightweight "easy to throw" disc. Mine has beaten in somewhat, but still usable for driving in most conditions. Recently added a Gold Line one to see how it compares.

I am still amazed at the stability of this disc; it throws easy, but it handles headwinds, oat, and rarely turns and burns, in spite of being a lightweight "easy to throw" disc. Mine has beaten in somewhat, but still usable for driving in most conditions. Recently added a Gold Line one to see how it compares.

+1 to this! The stability is "just right" for me, too. Easy flip to flat for long laser beam drives. Flat release for big S-curves that weave down wooded fairways with ease...

My GL Jade has just a touch more stability than a identical weight (and color) OPTO. Looking forward to working it heavily this winter!

Necro bump.

After throwing the Breakout, I am intrigued by the Jade. I currently throw Hatchets as my go-to driver (I'm a hyzer flipper and a noodle arm, so it works well), but I am wondering if I should snag one of these for a trip to altitude I'll be making later this year. Thoughts on how the Jade compares to a Hatchet, or even an Air Hatchet? Thanks for the advice!

Necro bump.

After throwing the Breakout, I am intrigued by the Jade. I currently throw Hatchets as my go-to driver (I'm a hyzer flipper and a noodle arm, so it works well), but I am wondering if I should snag one of these for a trip to altitude I'll be making later this year. Thoughts on how the Jade compares to a Hatchet, or even an Air Hatchet? Thanks for the advice!

Playing buddy throws Opto Jade as a fairway driver, and I've thrown it a few times. It's like a faster Saint, the wing is sharper, stability is very close. He drives with it sometimes but it can be pretty flippy if not careful with release angle from what I've seen. May depend on power, he throws around 350.

BTW, what did you think about the Breakout? Says "Understable Driver" on the disc, but DD describes it as a fairway driver that feels and flies like a midrange...weird. Is it slow?

Necro bump.

I bag both the AIR Hatchet and Jade. For reference, I am a hyzer-flipping ~300' of power noodle arm. My observations:

The AIR Hatchet has a touch more speed, more turn, more fade and more glide than the Jade. In my bag, it serves as the understable Distance driver complement to the AIR Saint.

The Jade is surprisingly neutral-stable, with GL a touch straighter than the OPTO. In my bag, both flavors serve as line-shaping Fairway drivers.

Hard to go wrong with either one... ;)

Playing buddy throws Opto Jade as a fairway driver, and I've thrown it a few times. It's like a faster Saint, the wing is sharper, stability is very close. He drives with it sometimes but it can be pretty flippy if not careful with release angle from what I've seen. May depend on power, he throws around 350.

BTW, what did you think about the Breakout? Says "Understable Driver" on the disc, but DD describes it as a fairway driver that feels and flies like a midrange...weird. Is it slow?

It's definitely not slow, it gets out there for a speed 8. I've been crushing mine with flat throws that take a looooong turn before fading at the end, yet I can't get it to hyzer flip reliably...

I bag both the AIR Hatchet and Jade. For reference, I am a hyzer-flipping ~300' of power noodle arm. My observations:

The AIR Hatchet has a touch more speed, more turn, more fade and more glide than the Jade. In my bag, it serves as the understable Distance driver complement to the AIR Saint.

The Jade is surprisingly neutral-stable, with GL a touch straighter than the OPTO. In my bag, both flavors serve as line-shaping Fairway drivers.

Hard to go wrong with either one... ;)

Thanks for the breakdown! Does the air Hatchet do anything a beat Hatchet doesn't? Sounds like the Jade is slightly more overstable, a little closer to the Breakout.

I've thrown the Jade probably a dozen times at a field, on a couple separate occasions. Does nice hyzers that are surprisingly long. But on a good rip with a flat release, it would tend to flip over fairly easily, although it would still fade back a little. Anhyzers were long right sweepers that barely would pan out, if at all. But they wouldn't try to cut and roll either.

It's an interesting disc. They shouldn't call it a fairway driver, it's fast and behaves much more like a true distance driver. Rated at speed 9, but I'd say speed 10 because of the sharp wing and fast flight. The Saint is fairly slow and glidey, the Jade is fast and glidey.

Thanks for the breakdown! Does the air Hatchet do anything a beat Hatchet doesn't? Sounds like the Jade is slightly more overstable, a little closer to the Breakout.

You're welcome! There are very few threads where my observations are relevant; this Jade thread is one of them. :thmbup:

I've never thrown a "regular" Hatchet. But based upon past experience with the Saint, an (155g) AIR Saint flew very similar to a (165g) GL Saint. I suspect an AIR Hatchet would overlap with a light TP or beat VIP Hatchet...

I've thrown the Jade probably a dozen times at a field, on a couple separate occasions. Does nice hyzers that are surprisingly long. But on a good rip with a flat release, it would tend to flip over fairly easily, although it would still fade back a little. Anhyzers were long right sweepers that barely would pan out, if at all. But they wouldn't try to cut and roll either.

This is precisely what I like about the Jade; it holds release angles really well without dumping or rolling. Perfect for line-shaping on tight fairways! :D

You're welcome! There are very few threads where my observations are relevant; this Jade thread is one of them. :thmbup:

I've never thrown a "regular" Hatchet. But based upon past experience with the Saint, an (155g) AIR Saint flew very similar to a (165g) GL Saint. I suspect an AIR Hatchet would overlap with a light TP or beat VIP Hatchet...

This is precisely what I like about the Jade; it holds release angles really well without dumping or rolling. Perfect for line-shaping on tight fairways! :D

Yeah, I was surprised the different lines it could handle. From hyzer drives, to straight down the gut drives, to nice long anhyzers. It seems to have that elusive balance of stability. I'd probably bag one if they offered it in 160's weights. I'll need to try and throw it more next time we do a field session before playing. Or just buy one for the hell of it.

I have difficulty switching to that light of a disc.
If it came in high 160s I probably would carry one.

Thinking about picking one of these up.. I have a 148g Diamond that I now turn and burn most times. I am usually around 275-300, but have gotten a 146g Blizz Wraith out about 330'.

I keep looking for that disc that will push me past 350', but understand majority of it is my form.

It is either this one or the Fission Volt!

Thinking about picking one of these up.. I have a 148g Diamond that I now turn and burn most times. I am usually around 275-300, but have gotten a 146g Blizz Wraith out about 330'.

I keep looking for that disc that will push me past 350', but understand majority of it is my form.

It is either this one or the Fission Volt!

I don't bag the Jade, but if you're used to the glidey flight of the Diamond, I would think Jade over fission Volt.

I don't bag the Jade, but if you're used to the glidey flight of the Diamond, I would think Jade over fission Volt.

Yes - the Jade is easy D with little effort that requires less technique than the Diamond for intermediate players.

It throws like a regular disc, beautiful s-curves that glide forever, with good resistence to wind and OAT.

Volt is like a truck that requires horespower in comparison. Good disc, just different.

Thanks! I am just looking for the disc to get me to 350'+ while I keep working on form. Might give this one in the 153-155g a shot.

Thanks! I am just looking for the disc to get me to 350'+ while I keep working on form. Might give this one in the 153-155g a shot.

Sounds good. It has the legs for 350', and will definitely let you know about form in 150's weights.

GL or Opto? Leaning GL because that's my preferred plastic, but I'm willing to be swayed one way or the other.

Loved my Opto when new. Started out stable but now is a max D tailwind driver. Bought a GL and was very disappointed. It's flippier than the 150g DX Wraith with dog bites we've all found. My sample is only one of each but I'd not buy another GL.

uploadfromtaptalk1437674207778.jpg picked up a 153g today. Will see how she flies and if I can beat my wraith max 330' distance!