• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Lat 64 Teebird?

no flat striker lovers out there? I remember the old runs being pretty darn close to a stable TB with almost no HSS turn and hardly any fade after being seasoned a bit... The domey ones were beefy but haven't had a striker in a whiiiiile.

All my first run flatties lost their HSS long before their LSS. I also had trouble replacing them with the Striker's legendary consistency! :D

I replaced my 167 star t bird with a heavy T plastic Stag. Seems to work for me. Latitude Fury is sort of t birdish, more stable than the River.

New stock Champ TBs are stiff and flat to board flat. I'm not sure when they'll hit the market in force, but they will. The store I shop at (Glide in Madison, WI) maybe has a bit more turnover, so they're there now. They'll start out more overstable, like the Brinsters and Totems, but will season into awesomeness.

I pair a stiff, flat one with a beat Star, an 8/10ish Star, and a gummy 150 Champ that bombs. There's just no replacement for the Teeb.

I feel your pain. I had a pre-flight star TB that was the prototypical seasoned TB but lost it and have been unable to find a good replacement. The TBs I have gotten my hands on were all over the place and I really don't care for this new blend of soft star plastic. I also threw a very nicely seasoned TL in the drink. Its been a rough month for discs.

I would suggest an Escape if you want Swedish. It reminds me of a fresh Champ TB, stable flight with strong finish.. Its definitely faster and has the wider rim. Saint could work, but it may be a little closer to a new TL at your range. Maybe look at a proton Volt as well. All of those are faster than a TB, with the rim on the Saint being the closest. Good luck.

To the OP, the only teebird is a teebird. I have max weight saints and max weight escapes. Definitely neither one is close to a teebird. Maybe a well seasoned star. Have thrown heavy opto rivers, again no where close to a teebird. I have not thrown a fury, so I cant comment on that first hand, but seeing a few people throw them at the local store I can say its going to be nothing like a teebird for your power level. These have been my findings and I usually throw my birds between 350-375 fwiw. The new star teebirds have been domey and feel funny in the hand, but the new champ plastic is money. I currently have a new champ for O/S, two pre flight number stars for slightly O/S and straight/anny lines.

LOL the only teebird is the 4 molds innova sells that are teebirds. TL, T mold, cal tooled, plus mold.....

Stag and Escape do it for me.

I pulled out the teebirds (12x champ, and 11x KCP) in favor of the Stag and Escape. Neither have the fade the teebirds did. Maybe a little less wind resistant too. Have only tried vip and lucid plastics in these however. Fuzion/TP plastics seem to be more OS than their counterparts.

Stag and Escape do it for me.

I pulled out the teebirds (12x champ, and 11x KCP) in favor of the Stag and Escape. Neither have the fade the teebirds did. Maybe a little less wind resistant too. Have only tried vip and lucid plastics in these however. Fuzion/TP plastics seem to be more OS than their counterparts.

TP and Fuzion are more OS? I would have thought the opposite. Good to know.

It seems the general consensus is that the Lat 64 family doesn't make anything like the bird. I'm glad to hear that Innova is making some more of the Champ ones that are flatish. The only birds I've seen at local stores are the Star ones with massive domey tops. I shudder every time I see one. (That's the reason so many people are looking to other company's for a Teebird replacement BTW.)

I might get a sparkle Rival instead though. Legacy makes some great discs. The Icon Ghost I had was a disappointment, but their drivers are great. I actually don't mind less glide. Glide=flippy in my experience. Sometimes flippy is good but not for a Teebird.

I use the Westside sword when I want the same line as the teebird but with added distance. Its a longer, faster teebird IMO. I realize outta not a fairway driver but when it comes to flight pattern, the sword is the closest I've seen.

TP and Fuzion are more OS? I would have thought the opposite. Good to know.

No. The TP is definitely not more overstable. I had a TP stag that was essentially a mamba. I cant speak for fuzion, as all I have is a judge as my driving putter, and its dead nuts straight. But generally all tp/gl plastic I have had have been more understable than opto/vip counterparts.

Strikers weren't that far off from teebird flight when i was throwing them. But that was early in my career when i was a novice learning to throw and Strikers were all flat and had high parting lines.

Legacy Rivals are very very close, but like others have mentioned they seem to drop out of the air pre-maturely and my teebirds consistently flew farther. I remember getting heat for saying that when they first came out.... funny/refreshing to see more have the same experience now.

Anyway, i got sick of trying to find a 'teebird doppleganger' so I disced up to Millenium OLF's and bridged the gap with faster mid-ranges. It's been working wonderfully.

no flat striker lovers out there? I remember the old runs being pretty darn close to a stable TB with almost no HSS turn and hardly any fade after being seasoned a bit... The domey ones were beefy but haven't had a striker in a whiiiiile.

Yes, but I'm not sure ALL Strikers are like that. The Pole Dancer Strikers are money. And the snowflake ones are awesome too. But there are a bunch of other that are not as OS.

My pinnacle rivals glide soo much, the same amount as all of my champ teebirds do.

My pinnacle rivals glide soo much, the same amount as all of my champ teebirds do.

Glide is in the eye of the beTHROWER ;)

I'll agree that rivals seem to glide fine but others take glide heavily into account when throwing. Not to the level of the legendary bird, but the trade off is enough for flat tops and ZERO turn.

Not sure about Lat. but Innova makes a killer disc called a Teebird that should be what you're looking for. Flies just like a Teebird out of the box, beats into a perfectly seasoned Teebird after about a month or two.

My GL Striker is dead solid straight... starting to turn over now... but mainly straight. I've never thrown a Teebird, but I thought they were stable to overstable... maybe not.

Yeah strikers are really across the board in regards to PLH/stability and my only experience with them as go-to discs are the first runs which were yellow/clear green and flat as hell with no flash just felt so good in the hand.

Teebirds are basically the standard for "straight" flying fairway drivers but really no fairway driver 9+ speed flies without any fade. My experience with a seasoned TB or seasoned striker is like you describe with a tiiiiiiiiiitch of HSS turn but almost no fade. I remember throwing the striker a few times, for my first time ever and wondering why it wouldn't fade out at the end like all my other discs... Granted I was only throwing 300' then vs 400' now and both molds have so much damn variance how does one even find a "real" teebird or striker? ehhh they buy a proton volt ;)

the last 3 strikers i've bought fly with just a bit of high speed turn and then mostly straight. :)

mine were GL; worked very well for me. haven't thrown a seasoned teebird, but from what everyone is saying it should be similar. i've moved on to other discs, but i have a feeling i'll be snagging another striker in the future.

I'd say the Striker is closest as far as stability goes, the Escape would be next, the saint is nothing like it, and the Stag is like a flippy Teebird. I throw a ton of Stags and I like their glide more then the Teebird, but I'm also not cranking them out 400.

Latest posts