• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Late Release Problems

rdwyer

About two months ago I changed my throwing style, and I am now able to throw much farther than before. However, for some reason now I seem to be releasing the discs very late. It doesn't seem to affect my distance too much, but all my shots are veering very far left (I'm left handed) because of this

A guy I play with every once in a while suggested that this might be because my arm speed is growing faster, but mentally I'm still conditioned to my old arm speed, therefore causing me to release the disc late

Is there any truth to that last statement? Does anyone have any tips that might help me release the disc earlier? It's awfully hard to play a decent round when you're not releasing straight

What discs are you driving with? Have you tried releasing with more hyzer angle?

I'm using an Avenger SS and a guy at my local shop told me to try a Roadrunner, so I picked one of those up yesterday. I've mainly just been holding the disc as flat as possible, so no real hyzer angle

Oftentimes changes in form that add distance will result in a lack of accuracy for a short time while your body adjusts to the new form. How long have you been throwing this way? I'd say give it at least 10 rounds to sink in and see if you naturally adjust. In my experience this is often the case.

I'd say about 250' at the farthest. I'm still learning the right way to throw, I just don't wanna develop bad habits when I'm still getting everything down :p

You'll hear this a lot but a Leopard is a great place to start.

If you don't throw that straight start searching for advice on controlling Off Axis Torque or OAT. At your distance those discs shouldn't be turning left.

As for the release part of it go to a football field and throw everything. You get 18 or so drives a round versus 100 in the same amount of time in the field. You'll get your rhythm. You may not want to even practice with drivers. Try some mids and putters for a while.

Good luck.

Oftentimes changes in form that add distance will result in a lack of accuracy for a short time while your body adjusts to the new form. How long have you been throwing this way? I'd say give it at least 10 rounds to sink in and see if you naturally adjust. In my experience this is often the case.

^^This^^ A few months ago, a very good player was watching me throw and told me that during my run up, I wasn't turning my hips and back away from the target enough. Sure enough, once I fixed this problem I gained more distance. But it seemed like my throws were releasing late. However, after about a week my body adjusted and I don't have that problem anymore. Any time you try to change the muscle memory already stored, expect a grace period to get used to it. I just suggest working it out in a field rather than on the course to avoid getting discouraged.

Usually this implies some level of OAT in the elbow/shoulder. You only have so much range of motion in your arm if you keep everything on plane.

If the initial trajectory is to the left of what you intended you might be starting your pull too early. It's a pretty common issue. Don't start your pull until after you've planted your front foot. If you start it at the same time you'll probably end up shanking off to the left. Not pulling close enough to the chest can cause it, too.

This is aimed at a right handed player, but here are some things to look at:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/technique/bhproblemsright.shtml#griplock