• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lay up mentality?

CoCo

I have run into a new problem. I can not, for the life of me, lay up from about 80 feet. It is really costing me many unnessesary strokes and I need to correct this. Today my throws from about 200 landed closer than my layups from about 80.

I dont know how to habdle them. Or if to use mids or putter. Is it a high poweres putting shot in staggered or straddle or should i be a super low power drive with teach back a hipswing?

I eitherloose all power amd land way short or, when i put a bit more spin or power on it, blast straight by.

The style of shot depends on the shape. Sometimes you need a driver thrown hard and into the ground to execute a skip shot around a corner or under low branches. Other times a softly throw putter is best to really control the speed.

Regardless, the only thing keeping you from throwing EVERY disc accurately from 80 - 100ft out is practice. You don't even need a basket. Just pick a tree at your uncomfortable distance and throw your entire bag at it. Collect, repeat, collect, repeat... until every disc lands within tap in range.

My solution was to find a friend and play catch with a putter. If you think about tossing with a friend, ~80-100 ft is pretty natural so you'll quickly get a good feel for it. I personally do a very abbreviated version of a real throw on a hyzer trying to make it. I make about 3% of them and the rest land about 10-15' left of the basket.

My solution was to find a friend and play catch with a putter.

I use this in my head all the time. Somehow it becomes really easy if you just imagine it's a person standing there. Though I have spent countless hours playing Frisbee catch in my life.

you should almost always be using a putter from 80 feet. If you can't mentally bring yourself to layup, then try throwing a spike hyzer, or a tomahawk pancake or something that has a chance of going in, but will probably stay in the circle.

Actually committing yourself to the conservative play is one of the most difficult things to master in the game of golf. The tendency is to slack up and underthrow. Mental mistakes get better with practice just like physical ones.

I found myself struggling from this range earlier this year too. It was just outside my jump putt layup distance, but backhand putters flew past. I've found two ways to be more accurate at this distance:

1. Standstill flick an OS putter. If your lower body isn't involved at all and you give your wrist a slight flick, you should be able to get your disc out 80-100 feet. I find this more accurate since you're always looking at your target.

2. Backhand putter, but only reach back 25-50% with slight hyzer, and aim for the cage. Any putter works for this, but the less glide, the better (for me anyway).

I used to almost always use a Caltrop and spike it in from this range but I got a Nova and started throwing straight at the basket more. Now I let the lie, surrounding trees, etc. determine the type of shot I will make.

I would find a putter that sits down well and just practice throwing from the distance at which you are having trouble. I have an area across the street from my house that's perfect for 130 feet and in shots around/between trees. I set my basket up there and practice at least a couple times a week. Practice, more than disc selection, is the key.

1. Standstill flick an OS putter. If your lower body isn't involved at all and you give your wrist a slight flick, you should be able to get your disc out 80-100 feet. I find this more accurate since you're always looking at your target.

^^This right here. Bonus if you can find one in a soft plastic you like, because they're more likely to hit and stick instead of roll away (I use BT Soft Harps for this). Hyzer throw if possible, aimed about 5-10' left of the target. Anny release aimed right at it if you don't have a route to the left because of obstacles.

^^This right here. Bonus if you can find one in a soft plastic you like, because they're more likely to hit and stick instead of roll away (I use BT Soft Harps for this). Hyzer throw if possible, aimed about 5-10' left of the target. Anny release aimed right at it if you don't have a route to the left because of obstacles.

I agree with the bonus tip, as well as what you describe with aiming. I throw slammers for this shot, and find the classic blend (or BT medium) will hit and stick just as well as soft, but is a little firmer which helps reduce flutter, which may be an issue for OP if they're just starting to practice forehand approaches.

Are you saying you can't git a shot in that range or can't bring yourself to layup??

When I saw the thread title I thought it was going to address my style of play, which is run everything. I only play for fun.

When I saw the thread title I thought it was going to address my style of play, which is run everything. I only play for fun.

I'm 50/50. I always play for fun but there are more competitive times and if I have a good lead I am laying up for par before I risk a bogey or in my case most of the time double bogey.

Stare at a spot on the ground in front of the basket. Throw it into the ground there. The disc won't fade, you're throwing it down so it should hit and just slide a little but not cut roll. You can afford to overpower it by a good 10-20' and have it not move much as long as you aren't on super hard pack dirt, so no excuse to fluff it. You've made the decision to lay up, so just throw it straight to the ground rather than "kind of running it" but really not giving it a chance and instead having it end up in an iffy putting range.

My go to in that distance is just FH my normal straight putter to the basket. This isn't a skill everyone has, but I think it's the simplest way to approach the basket from the too far to jump putt range but too close to want to actually throw. Get to see the basket, has good touch with the smaller arm motion than choking up on a BH, and you can still kind of run it with the nose up and not go very long once you learn it. Learning short range FH upshots will save strokes every single round.

I'm a pretty lanky guy who push putts, and I find that I usually end up throwing my Nova on a slight hyzer if my lie isn't all that friendly in terms of a landing zone for a jump putt, if it is jump putt friendly I'm jump putting with a 10-15 degree hyzer angle on my Nova. I did throw a giant full power spike with a Stego the other day and it actually hit the ground right next to the basket and bounced backwards, but I had all the height in the world for that.

Underhand toss with the disc perpendicular to the ground.

Nice and low and easy, like you throw in the game of horseshoes.