• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lefty-friendly courses. HONESTLY.

Yeah, I'd say Castle Hayne is fairly balanced. The only definitively lefty-friendly holes on the back I'd say are: 12 (kind of, it's ideally 2 straight shots for either hand), 13 (awkward pinch prefers a FH or LHBH flex), 14 (the corner was thinning out and making this easier for RHBH when I was there), 15 (maybe in the long), and maybe 18.

course
if you look at the updated map you can see the current layout. this place is stacked with OB to the left, basket at right. this will be one of the courses for the maple hill open AM side.
laughably referred to as the 'big boy course' i like to call it 'deja vu' as you throw the same damn shot over and over. essentially the course requires me the throw the same 5 shots for 18 holes.
hole 1-3 are all L to R
hole 4 is slight R to L
hole 5 and 6 are just kind of dumb forced holes. no bias
hole 7 and 8, whats this, another big L to R? yup
9-12 offer some variation of what you been doing. though 9, 11, and 13 could be L friendly off the tee, but not bias. 12 is better for R but a LHFH could be good too.
14 more of rhbh but not difficult for LH
15, one the two holes that make the course worth playing imo. no bias
16, prob rhbh bias but ive seen lefties bird the hole.
17, the other epic hole, pretty lefty friendly
18, another pin tucked to the right side of the green.

course
if you look at the updated map you can see the current layout. this place is stacked with OB to the left, basket at right. this will be one of the courses for the maple hill open AM side.
laughably referred to as the 'big boy course' i like to call it 'deja vu' as you throw the same damn shot over and over. essentially the course requires me the throw the same 5 shots for 18 holes.
hole 1-3 are all L to R
hole 4 is slight R to L
hole 5 and 6 are just kind of dumb forced holes. no bias
hole 7 and 8, whats this, another big L to R? yup
9-12 offer some variation of what you been doing. though 9, 11, and 13 could be L friendly off the tee, but not bias. 12 is better for R but a LHFH could be good too.
14 more of rhbh but not difficult for LH
15, one the two holes that make the course worth playing imo. no bias
16, prob rhbh bias but ive seen lefties bird the hole.
17, the other epic hole, pretty lefty friendly
18, another pin tucked to the right side of the green.
He's talking about Buffumville Lake in Charlton, MA.

Looks like a nice course, don't know why you're so upset about a newer course with a new layout, ranked at a 3.61, multiple tees, lots of water and OB; looks like a lot of fun, nevermind the lefty thing.

Wish there were more pics, first pic is of #3, which you call a L to R. Can't see the basket in the picture, but it's only 205'.
Holes 7 and 8 look like straight shots into the trees. Even on the map they look pretty straight.

You say 15 has no bias, when there are trees right off the tee to the left, and wide open for the rights.

The pics of the course definitely seem to favor righties, BUT these pics may be before the redesign, so I could be completely wrong here.

As a lefty backhand, i've played many dog leg right holes that set up better for righty backhand anhyzer than lefty hyzer.

Typically this happens when the fairway before the turn is shorter than the fairway between the turn and basket.

Yeah, I'd say Castle Hayne is fairly balanced. The only definitively lefty-friendly holes on the back I'd say are: 12 (kind of, it's ideally 2 straight shots for either hand), 13 (awkward pinch prefers a FH or LHBH flex), 14 (the corner was thinning out and making this easier for RHBH when I was there), 15 (maybe in the long), and maybe 18.

After hole 6...

Hole's 7 approach - left to right

8's tee shot - could be hard, but it doesn't need much distance. 2nd and 3rd shot are def. lefty friendly.

9 - left to right

10 - tee shot shouldn't be hard, hyzer flip, then 2nd shot, left to right

11 - tee shot left to right. As stated before, upshot is super hard

12 - the entire hole turns to the right....

13 - left handed flex shot

14 - 90 degree turn right 280 feet down the fairway

15 - the entire hole turns to the right

16 - straight

17 - straight, but way more room left to right up on the upshot

18 - 380 foot lefty hyzer

How is that not lefty friendly?

Trust me, I love the course, but it's def. lefty friendly.

He's talking about Buffumville Lake in Charlton, MA.

Looks like a nice course, don't know why you're so upset about a newer course with a new layout, ranked at a 3.61, multiple tees, lots of water and OB; looks like a lot of fun, nevermind the lefty thing.

Wish there were more pics, first pic is of #3, which you call a L to R. Can't see the basket in the picture, but it's only 205'.
Holes 7 and 8 look like straight shots into the trees. Even on the map they look pretty straight.

You say 15 has no bias, when there are trees right off the tee to the left, and wide open for the rights.

The pics of the course definitely seem to favor righties, BUT these pics may be before the redesign, so I could be completely wrong here.

He is talking about Buffumville, but the info you're going on is greatly outdated (not your fault, no one has bothered to fix the DGCR details despite the new design being in place for two years). Looks like someone did update the map and scorecard on the Links/Files tab though.

This is the updated map. Hole 1A is the one you are seeing as Hole 3 in the picture. What the map doesn't show you is the dense tree lines. For example, hole 2 has a tree line running down the right side leaving about a 35-40 foot wide "fairway" between the trees and the OB represented by the grey areas. Same on hole 3, 7, and 8. The baskets on those are tucked into the edge of the tree line that varies in distance from the OB from 30-80 feet. Holes 4-5-6 and 11-12-13 are almost entirely in the woods but that doesn't show on the map very well.

Jake is mostly right that the new design favors lefties in the sense that a lot of the OB is on the left hand side of the fairways and the tree lines are on the right, meaning the largest amounts of airspace on a given hole carry over or nearer the OB lines.

I will disagree with his assessment of hole 9 as a possibly lefty friendly hole off the tee. On the map, nothing is in-bounds from that tee until you get to about where the number 9 is written. That's about a 330 foot carry downhill to a wedge of fairway that only widens as you get further out. It's the same carry whether you're a lefty or a righty...the only difference is what your hyzer line is flying over and what it is flying toward if it misses that tiny wedge of fairway.

Last edited:
Lake Russell in Elberton, GA favors lefties very well. 11 of the holes go toward the right but if was LHBH I would throw BH on 15 of the regular 18 because it's the better shot.

I definitely agree with this. Great course too.

He is talking about Buffumville, but the info you're going on is greatly outdated (not your fault, no one has bothered to fix the DGCR details despite the new design being in place for two years). Looks like someone did update the map and scorecard on the Links/Files tab though.

Looking at what he wrote, I thought the pics must have been outdated, they just didn't match up. Thanks for the update. Now go take some pics and upload them to the course page!

Milo McIvor (sp?) in Estacada, OR was left friendly because the original course designers listened to my input on course design. I used to play with an individual that threw right-handed sidearm like me. He won tournaments and others who threw right hand back hand would design courses to discriminate against his style throw so they could beat him. The practice still continues in Montana and I have played on courses that favor RHBH players in other states.:wall:

plymouth creek in mn is def left hand friendly. i think i flick at least 75%+ holes there (rhfh)

plymouth creek in mn is def left hand friendly. i think i flick at least 75%+ holes there (rhfh)
plymouth creek in mn

I guess I'll take your word for it, though no one else says much about it being favored to lefties in the reviews, and it looks like a tight wooded course with very little turn.

plymouth creek in mn

I guess I'll take your word for it, though no one else says much about it being favored to lefties in the reviews, and it looks like a tight wooded course with very little turn.

notapro review said about what i said. a lot of rhfh or straight shots. only from reviews on the first page. but yeah on the par 5 left handers have a huuuge advantage. there is a short hole that is a blind hyzer for rhbh i can think of. rest are fairly neutral to left hand advantage i think. my buddy who is rhbh only was having trouble while i was doing just fine flicking. idk just in my eyes. just a suggestion

After hole 6...

Hole's 7 approach - left to right

8's tee shot - could be hard, but it doesn't need much distance. 2nd and 3rd shot are def. lefty friendly.

9 - left to right

10 - tee shot shouldn't be hard, hyzer flip, then 2nd shot, left to right

11 - tee shot left to right. As stated before, upshot is super hard

12 - the entire hole turns to the right....

13 - left handed flex shot

14 - 90 degree turn right 280 feet down the fairway

15 - the entire hole turns to the right

16 - straight

17 - straight, but way more room left to right up on the upshot

18 - 380 foot lefty hyzer

How is that not lefty friendly?

Trust me, I love the course, but it's def. lefty friendly.

The Castle is my home course. That said, it definitely requires one to use every shot in the toolbox, but to say it's "lefty-friendly" is misleading. BrotherDave is right: it's balanced. Of the ten holes you cited above, three of them you say yourself are straight. So, seven out of 18 holes are "lefty-friendly." I'd say that's a pretty good balance.

Now, you want a truly lefty-friendly course? Go play Luther Britt in Lumberton. Playing counter-clockwise around two big ponds, almost that entire course is designed for left-handers with 1000 discs in their bag. :p

Now, you want a truly lefty-friendly course? Go play Luther Britt in Lumberton. Playing counter-clockwise around two big ponds, almost that entire course is designed for left-handers with 1000 discs in their bag. :p

Home course in college. It was really fun to go back and play the Win or Swim this year.

The definition of Lefty course. I didn't know what to do out there, I'm just not used to seeing that many hyzer looks!

Sauls -- I definitely agree that Stoney Hill favors the lefty backhand. Maybe that's why I like the place so much, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the excellent property, hosts, and players ;)

I believe you're taking unfair taking advantage of our efforts to make things harder for the other 92% of the players!

I believe The Toboggan sets up for a scoring advantage to powerful lefties and RHFH.

It can be successfully navigated by RHBH, but many of the harder holes are made easier with a LHBH, and this is when tournament changing strokes are made up.

It could be that courses like this were designed when most top pros were righty backhand, and by making courses have a left hand bias they are adding challenge. That gets tricky today when a lot of newbies I see have an easier time forehanding than backhanding at first, so this "challege" might end up having the opposite effect.

I have played this course a lot, I don't think I would really agree. It is long and difficult. It can be played well with either hand. But, to score well, it must be played well. IMO>

I think Middle Creek in Cary, NC is a balanced course.

My right-handed friends tend to disagree - they think it is a lefty course - but I say that is because in general courses favor the righty.

I like to say every hole is a lefty hole, though my skill level argues otherwise.

At tom Triplett, the tees don't follow the same path. While the blue layout is the most eighty friendly course I've ever played, the black tees definitely favor the lefties

I think Middle Creek in Cary is lefty friendly, but it's shorter so people don't notice.

I agree with Middle Creek - other then14 (the stairs hole), there aren't any dog-leg left holes. There are several dog-leg right holes. The short straight holes (7, 10) have a right side basket placement, so a RHBH shot that turns over doesn't have room to fad back. I throw RH thumber, and (when the shoulder is up to it) would choose that shot off the tee on all but 1 & 14.