• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lefty-friendly courses. HONESTLY.

Re: Kensington Black Locust

I'm not saying it's lefty biased/friendly, but I know I throw an awful lot of RHBH turnovers there :|

I've played a few of the courses mentioned above and many people made some good points.

It's amazing the number of players that when looking at courses, if more than four holes cause them to strongly consider or actually throw a RHFH/LHBH route they complain about it being lefty biased. Many players complain about any hole that won't let them throw a RHBH Hyzer. "Lefty friendly" really means a balanced course that requires more than 1 type of shot from the tees.

After hole 6...

Hole's 7 approach - left to right

8's tee shot - could be hard, but it doesn't need much distance. 2nd and 3rd shot are def. lefty friendly.

9 - left to right

10 - tee shot shouldn't be hard, hyzer flip, then 2nd shot, left to right

11 - tee shot left to right. As stated before, upshot is super hard

12 - the entire hole turns to the right....

13 - left handed flex shot

14 - 90 degree turn right 280 feet down the fairway

15 - the entire hole turns to the right

16 - straight

17 - straight, but way more room left to right up on the upshot

18 - 380 foot lefty hyzer

How is that not lefty friendly?

Trust me, I love the course, but it's def. lefty friendly.

It looks lefty-friendly because you are RHBH.
Most of the lefty lines are somewhat difficult because they are better righty anhyzer lines including #7 long, #9, #15 and #18.
Why has no lefty pro come and torn up this course?
Why don't RHFH dominate this course?
A RHFH has only won the Azalea Open once in 10+ years (Hoffman)

I will say the on many holes (#8 being one exception) the lefty line is safer, but the righty anhyzer line will get you a better run at a birdie.

MTL, I'd love to discuss this on the course. Come down sometime and let's meet.

Knob Hill - Pittsburgh, PA

Lefty Friendly holes:

1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 13, 18

Neutral:

3, 12, 16

Righty Friendly:

4, 10, 14, 15, 17

It looks lefty-friendly because you are RHBH.
Most of the lefty lines are somewhat difficult because they are better righty anhyzer lines including #7 long, #9, #15 and #18.
Why has no lefty pro come and torn up this course?
Why don't RHFH dominate this course?
A RHFH has only won the Azalea Open once in 10+ years (Hoffman)

I will say the on many holes (#8 being one exception) the lefty line is safer, but the righty anhyzer line will get you a better run at a birdie.

MTL, I'd love to discuss this on the course. Come down sometime and let's meet.

Agree with this.

Once the thumbers are eliminated, then they'll REALLY be mad!

We're working on it.

In the meantime, as soon as we agree on the re-design of #2 for the Quartz layout and, almost as difficult, complete the work, we'll bring the course back into balance, and out of this conversation. The Diamond layout is already pretty balanced.

I always consider it a good sign if lefties complain of a righty-bias, and righties complain of a lefty-bias. It probably means that a course is challenging. It also means that those who throw forehand and backhand have a big advantage.

I've only played Castle Hayne about 3-4 times, but I never noticed a blatant bias. There are a few holes I struggled with, and had to throw a thumber off the tee, but it didn't really seem overly biased to me. Maybe it is a little lefty biased, but not overly so. Then again, I am extremely skilled so not much phases me. :cool:

The only one I've played that has any kind of LHBH bias is Sequoia Park in Canton, Ga. If you can throw a 280 drive low through trees it'll be easy for you.

I play RHFH for most shots so I has tons of CTPs and birdie chances there.

Most other north GA courses are fairly unbiased.

The only one I've played that has any kind of LHBH bias is Sequoia Park in Canton, Ga. If you can throw a 280 drive low through trees it'll be easy for you.

I play RHFH for most shots so I has tons of CTPs and birdie chances there.

Most other north GA courses are fairly unbiased.

False. Course is neutral to RHBH-friendly at worst.

1: LHBH favored. 2. in left position (most often) heavily favors stable RHBH. 3. straight, then get lucky. 4. RHBH favored, if you get lucky. 5. straight 6. If you play it in 2 shots, maybe it favors RHFH; if you're going for the green in 1 it's a BH hyzer flip. 7. slight RHFH, but a straight shot pin-high is a 10-ft putt. 8. junk hole, RHFH dies too quickly. 9. Heavily favors stable RHBH.
10. Favors RHBH because of the openness to the right; LHBH has to throw a straight shot because of trees on the left side. 11. Slight LHBH; RHBH likely has to hyzer-flip if playing in one shot. 12. Straight shot; pin-high straight is a 10-ft putt on either. 13. The RHBH hyzer line makes this more favorable to RHBH, even though the hill is running away. At worst you still have a putt; with LHBH you have to throw a huge turnover or tricky low tunnel shot. 14. Actually favors RHBH because those finish away from the lake. 15. Slight favor to LHBH if you're playing it in two shots (which is smart). 16. RHBH all the way; LHBH has to throw a turnover. 17. Has to be an RHBH to get all the way to the pin without fading to the downhill side. 18. LHBH favored because of the openness to the left.

Of those, 2, 9, and 13 strongly favor RHBH; maybe 1 and 18 favor LHBH a little bit, but not as extremely. Everything else is a slight skew. If Sequoyah has a bias, it's toward people who can avoid trees directly in the middle of the fairway and cut-throughs on perfect putts.

False. Course is neutral to RHBH-friendly at worst.

1: LHBH favored. 2. in left position (most often) heavily favors stable RHBH. 3. straight, then get lucky. 4. RHBH favored, if you get lucky. 5. straight 6. If you play it in 2 shots, maybe it favors RHFH; if you're going for the green in 1 it's a BH hyzer flip. 7. slight RHFH, but a straight shot pin-high is a 10-ft putt. 8. junk hole, RHFH dies too quickly. 9. Heavily favors stable RHBH.
10. Favors RHBH because of the openness to the right; LHBH has to throw a straight shot because of trees on the left side. 11. Slight LHBH; RHBH likely has to hyzer-flip if playing in one shot. 12. Straight shot; pin-high straight is a 10-ft putt on either. 13. The RHBH hyzer line makes this more favorable to RHBH, even though the hill is running away. At worst you still have a putt; with LHBH you have to throw a huge turnover or tricky low tunnel shot. 14. Actually favors RHBH because those finish away from the lake. 15. Slight favor to LHBH if you're playing it in two shots (which is smart). 16. RHBH all the way; LHBH has to throw a turnover. 17. Has to be an RHBH to get all the way to the pin without fading to the downhill side. 18. LHBH favored because of the openness to the left.

Of those, 2, 9, and 13 strongly favor RHBH; maybe 1 and 18 favor LHBH a little bit, but not as extremely. Everything else is a slight skew. If Sequoyah has a bias, it's toward people who can avoid trees directly in the middle of the fairway and cut-throughs on perfect putts.

Totally disagree about a ton of those holes. I almost aced 17 on a RHFH drive. 15 you can also drive the hole in one on a right fading flight. Just different lines on the holes I guess.

Agree about the trees though if you can miss the trees it doesn't really matter how you drive.

He's talking about Buffumville Lake in Charlton, MA.

Looks like a nice course, don't know why you're so upset about a newer course with a new layout, ranked at a 3.61, multiple tees, lots of water and OB; looks like a lot of fun, nevermind the lefty thing.

He is talking about Buffumville, but the info you're going on is greatly outdated (not your fault, no one has bothered to fix the DGCR details despite the new design being in place for two years). Looks like someone did update the map and scorecard on the Links/Files tab though.

This is the updated map.

I will disagree with his assessment of hole 9 as a possibly lefty friendly hole off the tee. On the map, nothing is in-bounds from that tee until you get to about where the number 9 is written. That's about a 330 foot carry downhill to a wedge of fairway that only widens as you get further out. It's the same carry whether you're a lefty or a righty...the only difference is what your hyzer line is flying over and what it is flying toward if it misses that tiny wedge of fairway.

. Now go take some pics and upload them to the course page!

while admittedly buff is not my favorite course, its not one i would drive out of the way for. its an 1hr20 for me to get there so the redundancy pushes me away. i will say there is a handful of locals who do an outstanding job with upkeep, and they are installing new baskets soon.
ive had a few bad tastes left in my mouth though, due to groups of 6-10 adolescent punks playing singles and being dicks about playing through though.
played there recently and as im teeing off this little ankle biter dog comes running up on my blind side, and as im about to throw some girl starts yelling, omg dont step on my dog. shes actively giving me a hard time that her dog almost runs under my feet, so i tell her maybe she A, get a leash or B, control her dog. her boyfriends gets all tough guys like hes gonna beat me up over what i said. idk must be something in the drinking water.

i think the one thing about 9 that makes it more lefty forgiving is the R to L headwind that comes off the water. but agreed still a tough placement shot either hand.

actually when i was at buff last, i brought a camera to take some pics of the park, and i got to hole 2, the tee sign was broken in half by some punks, and as i push the shutter for my half t sign i got the dread blinking red battery...however, tourny 54 is held there every year, and this year the TD has someone shooting video for all 3 rounds, West thompson, buff, and hylands. should be exciting watching brinster at buff, as he does have the course record with something ridiculous low.

Enchanted Lands in Roswell, NM. They put in a bunch of mandos to eliminate the open rhbh line, but left the lhbh/rhfh line very open. Pretty much a lefty shot open on every hole.

Anyone else? Is this all the lefty-biased and -friendly courses out there?

A lefty likes it just fine, thank you.

The first 7 holes at Valmont, inBoulder are lefty friendly. 1 and 6 in particular require anhyzer or FH throws for righties. The back 11 are open, And available to many lines. I suppose this is part of why local big arm guys sniff at it. For me, though, it afforded some confidence. If you have the privilege of being in town, and you wanted to throw without getting wrung out like a sponge at Paco Sanchez, Badlands, or Bird's Nest, it's worth a look!

Orange Crush

I've never thrown so many RHFH off the tee.
Fear the RHBH death Hyzer.

Interesting. Looks like a fun course, and it looks like the long tees(Orange Crush) favor lefties while the shorts favor righties.

Might be the second highest rated course in this list behind Stoney Hill.

Latest posts