• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

lefty's toss

your throwing motion looks like mine (also lefty). you could follow through a bit more. looks like you're cutting yourself off a bit short near the end. seems like you could get more out of your run-up if you transferred your weight a bit differently, too. all in all though, a nice lil throw. also, i don't see the anny. looked like it came out mostly flat to me

/constructive posting

yeah, i should probably post some bombs too, i guess that throw isn't too indicative of what my full toss looks like. i didn't want to put it in the woods though! the throw was pretty flat, but did anny out slightly if you could see the whole path.

thanks for the input though!

loosen up a bit. everything looked real tight. couldn't really tell from the vid, but didnt see a big shoulder rotation, your head was looking at the target most the time not letting your body get into it.

your throwing motion looks like mine (also lefty). you could follow through a bit more. looks like you're cutting yourself off a bit short near the end. seems like you could get more out of your run-up if you transferred your weight a bit differently, too. all in all though, a nice lil throw.

loosen up a bit. everything looked real tight. couldn't really tell from the vid, but didnt see a big shoulder rotation, your head was looking at the target most the time not letting your body get into it.

Southpaw said he's at 70% power in this, so follow through and rotation aren't going to be "text book" at 70% power.

My comment: i get that it's nerves and/or probably habbitual by now, but the pre-throw jitters aren't doing anything to improve the throw. just a thought. (we all have some type of pre-wind-up habbit)

exactly what I was gonna say. You look really nervous and tense. Take a breath and enjoy yourself ;)

PS - good ol' Zebulon. I miss playing in NC.

that's just how i am, super OCD with a touch of ADD...can't help it! i self medicate but it only helps so much! when i'm playing i'm super focused, i love aces...so i'm always concentrating on hitting metal. i'll try and change it up and see what happens though, just for fun. part of the reason i do that is to keep the motion mechanical so that i can replicate each different shot each time, if that makes sense...

I totally understand - and I have a bit of the same problem of getting too mechanical sometimes, but it actually makes you less likely to replicate the same shot.

Relaxed, fluid motion has more consistent results because when you tense muscles it's a voluntary movement - like trying to hit the 100-ticket-light every time on that damn game at the arcade (you know, the one that spins around and you always seem to miss it by just one). It's rare that anyone can do it twice in a row, now think about trying to tense a muscle at the same exact moment for 40+ throws in a round...

Watch some of the pros throw and see how fluid their shot looks - learn to throw smooth and with your power level already you'll increase that accuracy with that distance :)

yeah, i play with some guys that have smooth as silk throws, and easily out drive me everytime, but that's why they are sponsered and i'm an AM. i've tried it only a few times and it didn't work out for me, but i'm impatient, so i probably didn't give it enough effort. the mechanical motion seems to work well for me though, i can throw the same hyzer flip, anny, or hyzer shot multiple times really consistently. i will definitely revisit said technique though...i really want to hit the 600' mark at some point. i think i'm more "tense" when throwing flips and annys though (basically when trying to sculpt golf lines), when throwing hyzers i feel more fluid and smooth. next time i have a chance i'll get out in the field and take some more vids (with my digital camera, not my cell phone) of different shots and degrees of power and repost.

thanks for the input though, it can't hurt to try right?!

Last edited:
if you want to see a really clean, smooth lefty shot, check out a dude named Dr. Doug Ertman

Biggest limiting factor I can see is your speed. You seem to be pulling full speed of the snap for your entire pull. The best distance throws start slow and finish with a faster snap. All the extra drag on your arm is going to cost some distance, and is having you throw with much more energy than you need.

http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l251/dukesdank/?action=view&current=Video0013.mp4

this is how i know, this is a golf line, #14 at Zebulon, 380', you can't see the basket obviously but it's tucked back to the left beyond the tree line about 100'. i put this one 20' past the basket for a total of about 400'. the speed of the disc, and the azimuth is better than anything posted in homeboy's vids and this drive only went 400'. again, this is at about 70-75% power (172g Katana, much faster disc) on a slight anny, or hyzer flip, whatever you want to call it. i know my form isn't the greatest, but it sure does work for me.

Last edited:

Latest posts