• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Legacy] Legacy Discs 5th Release "The Ghost"

I don't feel like either of mine are nearly as overstable as everyone keeps saying. I haven't thrown Rocs in a long time, but I remember a fresh 11X being much more overstable than these Protege Ghosts. Mine have a nice straight flight with a smooth fade. They hold a hyzer line well, even into a headwind. But they don't really have much of a strong fade, and they just barely fight out of an anny at 300ish distance.

My experience so far has been that every ghost I've thrown has been a pretty straight flyer.

I can agree with this. It's noticeably more OS than my freshest Excel Ghost but I would put it just below my recent run "matte yellow" KC Rocs (of course these are pop tops and more OS than most Rocs I've thrown as well)

I can agree with this. It's noticeably more OS than my freshest Excel Ghost but I would put it just below my recent run "matte yellow" KC Rocs (of course these are pop tops and more OS than most Rocs I've thrown as well)

Interesting. I actually took them out to the field with a couple brand new matte yellow KC Rocs yesterday and they seemed extremely comparable. I wouldn't be comfortable saying either was more stable than the other.

It's funny, part of what I like about Ghosts is that they've got a straighter starting point than most Rocs. It's like a nice seasoned Roc right out of the gate.

Part of the reason I stopped throwing Rocs was that I lost both of my nice old seasoned ones, and didn't want to start fresh with a meathook. I threw Buzzz's until the Ghost came along, and now I've got the Roc feel in some sweet plastic with a nice straight flight.

It's funny, part of what I like about Ghosts is that they've got a straighter starting point than most Rocs. It's like a nice seasoned Roc right out of the gate.

Part of the reason I stopped throwing Rocs was that I lost both of my nice old seasoned ones, and didn't want to start fresh with a meathook. I threw Buzzz's until the Ghost came along, and now I've got the Roc feel in some sweet plastic with a nice straight flight.

That's what I've always loved about them too! I do, however, want to have a more stable one to complement my line up of Excel and Gravity Ghosts.

Interesting. I actually took them out to the field with a couple brand new matte yellow KC Rocs yesterday and they seemed extremely comparable. I wouldn't be comfortable saying either was more stable than the other.

Keep in mind I'm a 340-350 arm. So there's that. I would agree on them being similar but at least the two matte yellows I have seem to have a bit more bite at the end than the Ghost. HSS wise they fight out of a turn very quickly.

I have a pink one I've thrown for a couple of rounds now. I would say stability is that of a fresh heavy DX Rancho (I haven't thrown Kc Pro's enough to compare), with comparable glide. It holds a hyzer line well, however I've found it more susceptible to OAT than most DX Ranchos I've thrown. I'm impressed with the durability of the protege blend, definitely popped some trees full blast with nothing more than a light scuff. It's also worth noting I flat-topped mine by resting it upside down in the back window of my car and letting the sun heat it up and flatten it by its own weight. No change in stability really.
The faded "Legacy" is due to the high number of times I've had to wipe the disc during the rounds I've played... been very rainy here in IL.

Now that's hella disappointing to hear. If I wanted a dx roc I'd buy a dx roc. Good gravity ghosts and these protege are basically the same, is what you're saying.

Looks like I'll just have to go do a plh check once I can get to gggt.

Plastic feel is totally different between Gravity and Protege. And the Protege is going to be much more durable. Protege are all also domier than any Gravity I've seen.

But I would say yes, a fresh Gravity and Protege probably aren't THAT different in stability.

Plastic feel is totally different between Gravity and Protege. And the Protege is going to be much more durable. Protege are all also domier than any Gravity I've seen.

But I would say yes, a fresh Gravity and Protege probably aren't THAT different in stability.

Bummer...
All the initial reports were that Protege would make it more OS.

I was a little hesitant to believe that though bc plastic doesn't seem to make that big of a difference in stability for any molds when moving between a "base" plastic and "pro" plastic.

Mine will be arriving today so hopefully I can get out and give them a real go.
Sounds like the Vector is going to remain my go to mid.

Don't get me wrong, Protege Ghosts are definitely more stable than Gravity (on average). Definitely more resistant to turn. But I just don't think the difference is as huge as I was led to believe. I keep hearing stuff like "wow, these are so overstable" and I don't think that's necessarily accurate, because I'm still not seeing the big fade that I would expect out of an "overstable" midrange.

I think the word overstable really just isn't the correct word to be using.

These protege ghosts have more low-speed FADE than just about every ghost out there. I rip em pretty hard and they don't turn over unless I throw a forced anhyzer. I've been beating up a 172g Blue and it hasn't changed in stability at all. Most ghosts wants to fade forward, these ghosts will still glide out but fade more left(for RHBH). It has more low speed fade than any 11x KC I threw. The dome is higher than I like, but the grip is outstanding as you start to beat it up. Its going to take a long time to beat this into a hyzer flipper. I'll keep using Excel Ghosts for that which have considerable less low speed fade and are more akin to a DX or KC Roc.

Oh and the grip...it gets tackier when its wet. Its really weird, but kinda amazing. I didn't expect that.

All the Gravity Ghosts I have are very straight out of the box, and are NOTHING like the max weight, white protege ghosts I have. I'm very confused by people saying these aren't that much more stable than Gravity ghosts. I can put my miss out to about 340 or so and I was smashing these into a headwind and they showed no turn. That absolutely would never happen with any Gravity ghost I've thrown. I'm concerned that the colors may be differing in stability significantly.

These protege ghosts have more low-speed FADE than just about every ghost out there. I rip em pretty hard and they don't turn over unless I throw a forced anhyzer. I've been beating up a 172g Blue and it hasn't changed in stability at all. Most ghosts wants to fade forward, these ghosts will still glide out but fade more left(for RHBH). It has more low speed fade than any 11x KC I threw. The dome is higher than I like, but the grip is outstanding as you start to beat it up. Its going to take a long time to beat this into a hyzer flipper. I'll keep using Excel Ghosts for that which have considerable less low speed fade and are more akin to a DX or KC Roc.

Oh and the grip...it gets tackier when its wet. Its really weird, but kinda amazing. I didn't expect that.

Whatever this guy says is true.

Welp that's a wrap folks. :hfive:

Whatever this guy says is true.

Not if you go to the technique threads apparently :\

I'm loving the Protege Ghost so far though. I had been rocking a flippy legend gauge, beefy icon gauge and legend ghost combo. I think I'll be going to flippy legend gauge, excel ghost, and protege ghost for my next event. It will cover just about every mid shot I need.

Haha that is basically the exact opposite of what I've been saying, both of mine seem to have good high-speed stability but not a lot of fade. My pink Protege Ghost was the perfect choice on Saturday for a 300' low tunnel shot that needed a gradual left turn the whole way. It held the exact line for the whole flight, all the way to the ground. Of course I missed the 10' birdie putt, but that's not the Ghost's fault.

I'm assuming you have thrown a lot more of them than I have.

Haha that is basically the exact opposite of what I've been saying, both of mine seem to have good high-speed stability but not a lot of fade. My pink Protege Ghost was the perfect choice on Saturday for a 300' low tunnel shot that needed a gradual left turn the whole way. It held the exact line for the whole flight, all the way to the ground. Of course I missed the 10' birdie putt, but that's not the Ghost's fault.

I'm assuming you have thrown a lot more of them than I have.

They do have more HSS as well. I can believe it will hold that turn you mentioned, its a workable mold by design. I'm sure there are some straight ones. A lot of people seem to be digging the white and blues. We really only have yellow left in stock at DN, and I'm not sure if thats just the color or if others fly better.

I'm good for one of those missed putts a round, I feel ya. If only the ghost could have been 5ft closer! Probably the main reason I shoot 1005 and not 1020 haha. :D :hfive:

There are plenty of firm, stable/over stable gravity ghosts out there. There are also plenty that are softer garbage. I guess I was thinking in terms of the gravity plastic that I'd actually buy.

I'll give protege a try, but not before I compare the plh between the highest plh gravity and the highest plh protege.

+1 to everything zj said.

My fresh white gravity ghosts start out very straight with forward fade. On the other hand The Protege Ghosts are More High speed stabile (more resistant to turn) and so you can rip them harder without worrying about turning them, and the low speed stability (fade) kicks in sooner and hooks harder.

My pinks are a touch more beefy than my white and blue which both seem similar for the most part but they are all def more beefy than my fresh white gravity ghosts that's for sure.