• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Legacy] Legacy Enemy

How does this work? Aren't the molds crazy expensive? I just don't understand how this fine tuning works. ????

Sometimes they can use the existing mold without creating a new one by shaving away extra material to create the desired new mold shape. But going the other way (adding material) cost money...essentially a new mold must be made. So to fine tune a mold may take many tries or just one, really depends on how good the company is at designing for them. Also as many have said there can be two separate molds making up one new mold, ie: firebird top with anhyzer bottom. Sounds like they had one mold with super flat top and no shoulder, so they'd have to make a new top to add material into the rounded portion of the shoulder to get a lower PLH. Only they can tell us that journey, or in4d :D

hpm_0000_0005_0_img0075.jpg

The mold cavity shown above is essentially what they must change every "prototype run" to get the desired shape.

Is this a mid or fairway?

its a fairway/control driver, speed 9ish on an innova scale

How does this work? Aren't the molds crazy expensive? I just don't understand how this fine tuning works. ????

Depends on what plastic they use, EVERY plastic cools of differently, then when they pick a plastic mix they have to decide temperatures of internal, how long they leave it in before pulling it and even externally when they cool, the building may be cool in the morning and hot by the middle of the day so molds coming out at different times of the day (Legacy currently does not have climate controlled building to mold in) can even have different dome/plh which affects stability. Then when they get new shipments of the "same" polymers/plastic pellets they are almost always slightly different from the last batch so the consistency of the plastic supplier plays a role in it too.

Rico made it sound like they REALLY just finally nailed down their process variables and he expects better consistency with anything new being molded from now on.. not that consistency was that bad in the past, but it has been an issue with certain higher speed molds.

Last edited:
Sounds like they had one mold with super flat top and no shoulder, so they'd have to make a new top to add material into the rounded portion of the shoulder to get a lower PLH. Only they can tell us that journey, or in4d :D

I asked Rico this at mad city and he said they have the mold done now and will not change it, they are just changing temp/cooling/plastic mixtures/and other variables to get it to set how they want.. which he said would take probably 5 or more runs before they get it perfect. they are on like run 3 or 4 right now i think?

I thought based on how different the proto's were that he was changing the mold, but he said its been the same from the start and changing variables has more to do with the prototype process.

Last edited:
The amount of variable in the process of the production of discs is almost unbelievable.
Working with Gateway has truly opened my eyes up to just how much/little attention to detail can alter the final product.

Kudos to the Rico's for taking the time to dial in the process to such a high degree.

If you saw the initial video, the Enemy came out WAY more overstable than they wanted at first. Bamba was throwing these things on roller lines only to have them flex and fade hard. 2nd test runs got alot smoother, we'll see where the disc ends up.

the second run domeys are amazing, hope they keep a little dome to them because those crush.

Well, it's approved so hope we'll see some throwers coming out in the next few months. As mentioned above Legacy Pro Peter Mcbride said this weekend it's coming along but he didn't have any throwers yet and still bags a FB. Fingers crossed it's soon!

The outlaw was approved for like 6 months before they released it so don't get your hopes up

I threw one of what I'm assuming one of the "1st Prototypes" at Am Worlds. Super flat... there was a sand volleyball court about ~190ft away and Bamba said to try and land it in the court. Okay, easy, right? Wrong. First throw I dropped a lil hyzer on it thinking I'd spike it in. I came up at least 60ft short. Bamba laughed at me and handed me another one. Threw it as hard as i could on some anny and got it there! He said I was the first one all day long to make it to the court from there.

The 1st prototypes were stupid. I told them I liked the idea but would never bag anything that stable.

The new flight videos are pretty tempting and the banner ad floating around the top of the forums makes me feel like these are coming soon. Any inside information out there?

I've talked to Steve twice in the last couple of weeks about it and their goal is end of October. They were hopting to have a batch ready for the USDGC but they just ran out of time.

im hoping i can try and find one of the Legacy crew with one at the usdgc next week..not to buy but just would love to get it in my hands for a second lol.. here's to hoping!