• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Legacy] Legacy's 6th release the RIVAL, its coming

Recently started throwing these, and they have all the magic of my old 11x or PFN star teebird, but I'm not afraid to throw them. How is this not one of the most popular fairways?

Recently started throwing these, and they have all the magic of my old 11x or PFN star teebird, but I'm not afraid to throw them. How is this not one of the most popular fairways?

the tan color metal flake ones that legacy has up on their pro shop right now are $$$!

nobody popular throws them. I really think that is the beginning and end of it.

my bright orange icon hasn't left my bag in at least 8 years. i have a couple others, but they are more stable. this one is the brightest disc i've ever had & it hasn't faded with time; wish i could find a good long distance driver (my most lost disc) with this color.

Just reading the phrase, "the magic of my old 11x" makes my heart rate increase.

Just buy a new Champion Teebird. I bought one a week ago and it is pearly, perfectly shaped and an absolute joy to throw.

When I first started playing 12ish years ago, Teebs sucked. They were domey, flippy POS that just didn't live up to the old 11x runs.

I switched to Rivals and enjoyed them a ton. I also dabbled with Explorers which are great too, albeit less OS than a good Teeb.

The market is full of fantastic 7, 5, 0, 2 discs right now but I'd bet you would dig on the new runs of Teebs.

Just buy a new Champion Teebird. I bought one a week ago and it is pearly, perfectly shaped and an absolute joy to throw.

When I first started playing 12ish years ago, Teebs sucked. They were domey, flippy POS that just didn't live up to the old 11x runs.

I switched to Rivals and enjoyed them a ton. I also dabbled with Explorers which are great too, albeit less OS than a good Teeb.

The market is full of fantastic 7, 5, 0, 2 discs right now but I'd bet you would dig on the new runs of Teebs.

I haven't felt the ones you're describing, yet, but I've found quite a few descent stand-ins. For the Teebirds with a little dome, you can find replacements if you look hard enough. Even the Teebird3 copped a pretty good impression of my flatter cal birds.

For some reason, there will always be a mystic quality to old perfect runs and golden age discs. It's like my stiff Multi-Purpose Rocs, sometimes you just have to have that one specific run, nothing else will do.

I must of had a strange 11x run, mine was straight but had just an inkling of late turn, just a little bank to the right before pushing left. Kinda like when a car steers a little right before a u-turn. The rival almost seems like it winds up before it fades where my new run teebirds we're not near as glidey and we're pretty over stable.

I must of had a strange 11x run, mine was straight but had just an inkling of late turn, just a little bank to the right before pushing left. Kinda like when a car steers a little right before a u-turn. The rival almost seems like it winds up before it fades where my new run teebirds we're not near as glidey and we're pretty over stable.

Was it a CA or CAL mold?

My 11x CA. Were much less HSS when fresh VS my CAL.

The new runs of Teebs to me are very CAL-like. Moderate dome, no turn and a strong finish. I love it lol

I just picked up a Terra to audition in that beefy Teebird slot.

Back to Rivals... Lol.
I used to throw the heck out of a sparkle gold Rival. Phenomenal, gummy driver.

lol, they certainly attempted the 11x again in the early 2010s, but for the record, they were still great runs that could really bomb. I still keep a Pre-Avery FN in the bag for uphill or hyzer-flip shots where that extra flip is great.

The Rival, early opaque Pinnacle captured that flight the best, followed by Icon. I still think the Rival bests the Teebird for that 11x flight and I'm a diehard Teebird thrower. Teebirds these days are still beefy but certainly will beat into that 11x after a long time. Teebs really excel at that consistent 7/5/0/2 flight even pushing 400' in most instances.

Picked up a new blend Pinnacle Rival on a whim recently and it won my heart. I've not had good luck with fairway drivers in the past and have never had a consistent fairway mold (besides OS 9 speeds) in the bag, sometimes none at all, instead powering up on mids or down on Wraiths. Some recent form and grip changes and BAM I was putting the Rival out 325-350 consistently on a rope in the field. Very excited to have finally found a mold I like for a shot shape that was missing in my game.

That said, I'm interested in trying some other plastics and have never thrown Legacy beyond this one Rival. The New Pinnacle (max weight) flies dead straight with a gentle fade for me. Can anyone weigh in on how the following fly in comparison?

-Stock Icon – Off white/swirly vs solid colors?
-Lion's Rage
-Slime Legend (Legacy Proshop)
-Experimental blend (Legacy Proshop)
-First Run Glow Pinnacle (Legacy Proshop)
-Old pearly Pinnacle – worth hunting down?

Picked up a new blend Pinnacle Rival on a whim recently and it won my heart. I've not had good luck with fairway drivers in the past and have never had a consistent fairway mold (besides OS 9 speeds) in the bag, sometimes none at all, instead powering up on mids or down on Wraiths. Some recent form and grip changes and BAM I was putting the Rival out 325-350 consistently on a rope in the field. Very excited to have finally found a mold I like for a shot shape that was missing in my game.

That said, I'm interested in trying some other plastics and have never thrown Legacy beyond this one Rival. The New Pinnacle (max weight) flies dead straight with a gentle fade for me. Can anyone weigh in on how the following fly in comparison?

-Lion's Rage

I can only chime in on the icon plastic all 3 of mine are white if that matters. But I find they fly stable at 325-350. I can't really push them farther than that, but as they beat in exhibit some turn and fade, but what I like is the turn seems to be a little later in the flight than a valk or something like that. They flip to flat really well with some wear, and have a Leo3 type flight when they are older.

-Lion's Rage

Well, I dove head first into the Rival world and can now answer my own questions to some degree. Plastics I've tried and the flights:

-Sparkle Pinnacle: Very stiff (6 on the OTB Scale, which I'll use throughout), probably the most overstable of the group (though not by too much, all of the plastics are pretty consistent flight-wise. Skippy finish due to the stiffness of the plastic.
-New Stamp Pinnacle (clear): Pretty stiff (5) but it looks like the plastic can vary (only have a sample size of 2 discs). Leans OS but has a nice true straight flight with the signature gentle fade of the Rival. Feels like it'll be a good headwind Rival.
-Legend: Both of mine are pink if that makes any difference. Moderate stiffness with some give and a slightly gummy texture (4ish) akin to a stiffer G* or Ti. Seems like it will remain pretty stable for a long time.
-Old Pinnacle (opaque): Big variation in stiffness here. Anywhere from 3-6 depending on weight and run. My stiffest is a 6, a max weight 2013 run. Haven't thrown it yet but expect it to be on the more OS side. Moderately stiff 5s are absolute money, all 170+; dead straight and gentle fade but very torque resistant if you do get over on it. Somewhat gummy/pearly 4s are a hair less stable than the 5s but feel excellent, generally around or below 170. This is the best clone of the prized older pearly Innova plastic I've ever seen. Overall my impression is that the sub-170 weights tend towards the gummy/pearly side, and over-170s are stiffer. I have one gummy 3-4 that is surprisingly stable, even at 168 weight. It's also notable that there are some New Stamp Pinnacles out there with the older opaque plastic, which may have slipped through during the change of stamp/plastic.
-Icon: The one I have is a gummier 170 (3-4). Pretty straight stable, flying like the 4-stiffness Old Pinnacles.

Well, I dove head first into the Rival world and can now answer my own questions to some degree. Plastics I've tried and the flights:

-Sparkle Pinnacle: Very stiff (6 on the OTB Scale, which I'll use throughout), probably the most overstable of the group (though not by too much, all of the plastics are pretty consistent flight-wise. Skippy finish due to the stiffness of the plastic.
-New Stamp Pinnacle (clear): Pretty stiff (5)

I got some gummy Sparkle Rivals + a glow Rival that all fly straight to healthy fade out to 350'.
Also have a super stiff Pinnacle Rival that flies like a glidier Banshee.

Anyone throwing the latest gummy Rivals from the Pro Shop? The ones with the smiley face dye?
This is the weirdest Rival I've ever thrown. In the hand, it feels like a typical Rival, nothing remarkable. The flight though...its more like a Champion Eagle, I guess? Hard to explain...anyone else experiencing this?

Anyone throwing the latest gummy Rivals from the Pro Shop? The ones with the smiley face dye?
This is the weirdest Rival I've ever thrown. In the hand, it feels like a typical Rival, nothing remarkable. The flight though...its more like a Champion Eagle, I guess? Hard to explain...anyone else experiencing this?

In what way like an Eagle? More OS? I have a gummy, opaque new blend Pinnacle Rival that is dang OS for a Rival, a bit less glide too.