• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Legality of a slap putt

No, I'm focused on the "forward in the intended direction" part. A toss up is not moving forward in the intended direction. Since the disc is not yet moving forward in the intended direction during the toss up, the throw hasn't begun (because once again the rules state "a throw begins when the disc is moving forward in the intended direction")

The throwing motion for both players begins when that happens. For the slapshotter, the throwing motion begins when they slap the disc. For the griplocker, the throwing motion begins when the disc is moving forward in the intended direction, from the peak of their reachback. (this Q&A is about a disc being knocked out during a backswing, so it is explicitly saying that the throw begins when your swing, or other movement, starts going forward)

I don't know why you think you can just ignore that Q&A. But yes, if you completely ignore a section of the rulebook then I agree that your interpretation would make sense :)

Well, at this point I think your best recourse is to write a VERY angry letter to the PDGA rules committee.

I hope I've helped you clarify your thoughts on the matter.

Well, at this point I think your best recourse is to write a VERY angry letter to the PDGA rules committee.

No need for the angry letter. We've been reading.

This is ridicul.........WAIT, it brings a great question to light.......can I throw a putter into the air and use a shotgun to hole out? I mean it would be impractical to carry a heavy shotgun in my Grip bag and all that ammo, but would it be illegal and why?

As far as I am concerned, it is perfectly legal. If fact i encourage all my cardmates to putt this way. :p

I'm curious about a ridiculous, extreme fringe issue and at the beginning and end of the day it's just a thought experiment. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong, and I hopefully get to learn something about how I have misunderstood the rules.

I had never thought about a griplock in the context of my application of the rules in this context so I do, really, appreciate the input. I'd also never heard of the other kind of padiddling before so I'm already counting this thread as a win in my book, if I had such a book

No need for the angry letter. We've been reading.

Please feel free to send me a PM with any thoughts on this, but obviously no pressure or expectation to do so :)

This is ridicul.........WAIT, it brings a great question to light.......can I throw a putter into the air and use a shotgun to hole out? I mean it would be impractical to carry a heavy shotgun in my Grip bag and all that ammo, but would it be illegal and why?

As far as I am concerned, it is perfectly legal. If fact i encourage all my cardmates to putt this way. :p

No, hardly legal, probably in many ways, but for one because of rule 813.02

813.02 Illegal Device

A A player must not use any device that directly assists in making a throw. Devices that reduce or control abrasion to the skin (such as gloves, tape, bandages, or gauze) and medical items (such as knee or ankle braces) are allowed. Placing an object as a directional aid is not allowed. An item such as a towel or a pad may be placed on the lie as long as it is not greater than one centimeter in thickness when compressed.

B A device that is questioned by another player or an Official is illegal unless it is subsequently approved by the Director.

C A player receives two penalty throws if observed at any time during a round to be using an illegal device. A player who repeatedly uses an illegal device may be subject to disqualification in accordance with Section 3.03 of the PDGA Competition Manual.

Last edited:

Latest posts