• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Leggo' my eggo AKA end my waffling

sillybizz

Course bagger and Bjork super fan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Years playing/experience: Somewhere around 15 years, though only "serious" for about 5 years. I am no longer "serious", I don't play tournaments. I play lots of SuperClass rounds with a Zephyr. The course I play the most is one of my states hardest so a variety of shots, and discs are needed to navigate 27 holes with many long, treed par fours on it.

Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: Right-handed

Throwing Style: RHBH mostly. I used to have a strong RHFH but it now hurts my shoulder to throw them farther than 150 feet or so, probably technique on my part. I throw rollers both BH and FH but am much more confident with a FH roller which I use quite a bit, especially when getting back to the fairway. I throw short OH and grenades seldomly.

Golf Distance (avg/max) for putter/mid/driver: Banger GT: 220/250'; Buzzz: 250/280'; Underworld: 320/350'

Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: I'm old, slow, and have almost no god given athletic abilitiy. :|
Other sport proficiencies?: No

Additional Information: I have short/fat fingers and can't grip wide rimmed discs very well so I don't throw them. That and I find I don't have the snap to make them fly right, so I throw slower plastic because I can control it easier. I use a three finger power grip for drivers and a power/fan hybrid on mids and putters.

What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: I just switched to Banger GT's from Challengers not long ago and I'm liking the lines I'm getting from my driving putters. I like it for my turbo putts (main putting style) as well. My Buzzz midrange set up has been that way for a long, my most trusted section of my bag. I have always waffled over drivers at some point of my disc golfing career. Right now I'm really in turmoil over the fairway driver section of my bag which up until recently was always pretty set. More on this below.

Specific areas of desired feedback: I'd really like to know if there is a disc I'm missing out on (I haven't thrown much from the recent releases in the past 3-5 years or so) that would replace something I have to be a disc I need that I didn't already bag. I think my putters and mids are pretty good, mostly looking for driver recommendations.

Putters in the bag:

Banger GT - Jawbreaker - 173g - Main "putting, putter" used within 50 feet. Outside of that range I usually switch to another disc, depending on the shot needed. Only a few weeks old and only seen chains.

Banger GT - Jawbreaker - 172g - Backup to the main putter. I use this for short drives where I need a fade to the right at the END of the throw, and this disc works really well for that purpose. It's seen a few trees but overall in great condition.

Banger GT - Sparkle Z - 172g - Main driving putter, slightly overstable, more fade on it than most Bangers. I use this for short drives up to 200 feet or more. Still in great shape thanks to durable plastic.

Zone - Sparkle Z - 172g - Wind fighting, HSS, meat hook putter that can be thrown a really long ways. I use this for short FH's and FH rollers as well. Still in great shape, hasn't seen more than one or two trees.

Zephyr - Champion - 195g - Touch shots, short rollers, grenades. This thing stays straight unlike its DX counterparts thanks to Champion plastic.

Putters I'm trying out: None

Mids in the bag:

Wedge - DX - 175g - They say putter on the top of them but I use them for slower, understable midrange shots, mid range rollers, and for long "jump putts"

Buzzz - Pro D - 175g - This is my fast version of the wedge; throw with hyzer and it pops up and fades to the right. Great for shaping lines in the trees. This disc is about as beat in as a disc can get, flippy(ing) perfect!

Buzzz - Elite Z - 172g - My workhorse midrange disc, flat and beat in to dead straight. I use this almost as much as my putter. Oh yeah and it has a DGCR stamp on it :D When this gets super beat I have a brand new Z FLX I've tested and love waiting to replace it.

Buzzz GT - Elite Z GLO - 178g - This thing is so glidey, it is ridiculous, has to be something about the grove top on it though I digress. It floats forward at the end with a tiny "dump" and flies straight with a small move to the right but not a "flip" if that makes sense. A little more workable in the trees. I've had this a while and been gentle with it, no tree hits, only grass and dirt.

Buzzz - Ti - 181g - Flat, heavy, and fairly beefy. It has a slow but persistent fade that starts early in its flight and never quits. Does well is moderate head winds only. This is a nice go between my regular and OS versions of Buzzz's.

Buzzz OS - Elite Z - 169g - Flat and beefy! Great Buzzz feel but super overstable for windy days or hard left turns. The fade in this is late so I would say 80% of its flight is like a Buzzz with a hard, late fade. This has hit a few trees and pavement once.

Mids I'm trying out: Buzzz OS - Pro D - 175g - This seems to be very workable, it will turn over and fade back in a huge "S" pattern. This might be worth a look as a workable lines overstable driver for the woods. Maybe challenge in the Ti Buzzz? (probably not)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is where I need the most help: Drivers. I've actually thrown trackers for years. Up until recently then I thought maybe I'm missing out on some of the new discs. Enter Patriot, Undertaker, and Thunderbird. Undertaker flies like my tracker but I don't like that Z plastic, I like my players cup ones. Thunderbird was good, the Pro version is still up for the bag I think. Patriot is up for the bag for sure. How much would all of this overlap? Should I go with the Patriot do I really need the Trackers? Or would an Undertaker be better there? Would the Thunderbird kick out the old Predator?

Drivers in my bag:

Tracker - Elite Z - 165g - This is the 2005 players cup version, my main workhorse driver. Similar to a beat in TL. This thing is well beat in at this point and moves to the right at the end of its flight when thrown hard, otherwise a light fade.

Tracker - Elite Z - 174g - Another 2005 players cup Tracker, this is my heavy and newish version that flies shorter and more overstable. I will FH this at times as well. In like new, no tree hits.

Underworld - VIP - 165g - My most understable driver for when I need the disc to turn right no matter what, I also use it for trick shot rollers. Beat in and FLIPPY!

Underworld - Moonshine Glow - 174g - This is my distance driver, used also for big turnovers and rollers. In like new condition, maybe one tree hit if that.

Predator - Elite Z - 168g - Similar to the heavy Tracker but much longer. Strong fade in this disc still after ten years but it is very late in its flight. The tracker has a fade that starts much earlier. I use this for longer FH's, FH rollers, BH rollers, and OH shots as well.This thing shouldn't still be intact from all the beatings its taken over the years.

Nuke OS - Elite Z - 169g - I only use this disc for FH rollers which I throw a lot of. I actually use this disc more than you would think. It's seen some use now but still as overstable a disc as they make.

Drivers I'm trying out: Patriot(165g,174g), Undertaker(166g,172g) Thunderbird(168g)

Do your Trackers fly different than production? If not, why change? I don't know much about them, but from some quick research they look like a fairly versatile disc. I'd say grab a new Predator and figure out if anything you are testing are really better than the Tracker for you, that's it.

Yeah the production runs were all over the place, anywhere from an Eagle X/Banshee (if you're lucky) in stability to a whippet/viper. The 05's are much straighter and the plastic is more flexible in my hand, it resembles CE if you ask me. I still have a really domey ESP Tracker at home that flies like about a Nuke OS.

Got ya. There's a few guys rolling the Patriot/Rival combo, hopefully they will chime in here. Did you ever try Eagle X's? If so, why didn't you like them?

I'm kinda in the same place as you, only with mids. I've had mids I've liked, just can't find that one that blows me away.

I would give the escape a try. It has a fairly small rim, but goes a lot further than it seemed like it should. It is a lot like a less stable thunderbird.

Got ya. There's a few guys rolling the Patriot/Rival combo, hopefully they will chime in here. Did you ever try Eagle X's? If so, why didn't you like them?

I'm kinda in the same place as you, only with mids. I've had mids I've liked, just can't find that one that blows me away.

I haven't thrown the Eagle X in many years but what I remember was that it had too harsh of a fade for me. I haven't tried an L yet, might be something I should try.

I would give the escape a try. It has a fairly small rim, but goes a lot further than it seemed like it should. It is a lot like a less stable thunderbird.

Interesting thanks. I was liking the flight of my Pro Thunderbird but the grip is either too wide or deep or something, just doesn't feel right. I'm gonna have to hold one of those Escapes.

Do you not like lighter discs?

I noticed everything you bag tends to be pretty heavy and you might benefit from some of the new models which fly really well in ultralight weights. Even as a decent player i have a few super light discs from drivers to putters. It makes shaping xyz shot a lot easier at times vs max wts and sounds like your a finesse style player anyway.

I actually just picked up two new run lightning Upshot @115g. So Fing fun to throw!

Do you not like lighter discs?

I noticed everything you bag tends to be pretty heavy and you might benefit from some of the new models which fly really well in ultralight weights. Even as a decent player i have a few super light discs from drivers to putters. It makes shaping xyz shot a lot easier at times vs max wts and sounds like your a finesse style player anyway.

I actually just picked up two new run lightning Upshot @115g. So Fing fun to throw!

I am a finesse player for sure. I used to bag a 150 Valkyrie that I used for ultra distance/understable driver but my Underworlds took over that function for the most part. Also had a 150 Teebird for wooded holes too. I used to have a hard time switching between 150 and 165+ gram discs; something about the release point is different but that's probably my form more than anything. Anything you recommend?

I could see you keeping both undertaker and thunderbird in the bag. Similar lines, but the THB should be able to stretch and beat in quicker, while the Undertaker will be the shorter beef. They also made Glo Z Undertakers and Big Z. The plastic on these is normally softer than the current run of Z the Undertakers are in.

The Patriot I would see taking up space if you like the Underworlds and the Trackers. If you get rid of the Trackers, I could see the Patriot beating in to become your most stable "underworld."

I could see how the Patriot would help bridge the tracker gap on US side and the Undertaker/THB on the OS side.

Only reason I would recommend a switch is because of the lack of production trackers anymore...

Interesting thanks. I was liking the flight of my Pro Thunderbird but the grip is either too wide or deep or something, just doesn't feel right. I'm gonna have to hold one of those Escapes.[\quote]

Actually, I may have misunderstood. If you like the thunderbird flight, the escape may not be right. It is Definitely more under stable than a thunderbird. If you want something like a thunderbird but with a different feel. Try a Convict, culverin or longbowman

Latest posts