• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Leopard/Roadrunner Which disc would be more understable?

tyler90wm

My friend and I were have a discussion about this and we were wondering whether the Leopard or Roadrunner was the more understable disc.

why? edit: to the OP not Roc's post

the RR's rating make it apparently more understable than a Leo

but it has a bigger wing so likely gains some speed stability if not thrown up to speed

so for a 250 foot thrower the RR may act more stable than a Leo
but this would likely not apply for a 350+ foot thrower

RR is more understable, but like stated above, it's a bit faster than a Leopard. Are you looking for an understable disc? Bang up a pro Leopard, or a DX one.

Thanks for the replies.

I saw on THIS chart that the roadrunner is more understable but it is also a higher speed and I did't know exactly how the higher speeds affected discs. I assumed for someone who doesn't throw very far, the leopard would be more understable because it is a lower speed.

Hard to say, a RR is really understable. Best bet is to try it and see. If it isn't flipping flat, or turning over for you, then it's probably still too fast.

A Leopard straight off the shelf isn't exactly what I'd call "understable". I'd put a Leopard in the "K" column of that chart, the understable side of stable, right off the shelf.

Hard to say, a RR is really understable. Best bet is to try it and see. If it isn't flipping flat, or turning over for you, then it's probably still too fast.

A Leopard straight off the shelf isn't exactly what I'd call "understable". I'd put a Leopard in the "K" column of that chart, the understable side of stable, right off the shelf.

I have both a roadrunner and a leopard and the roadrunner is definitely more understable for me (I use it as a hyzer flip). I agree with you that the leopard (at least for me) is more in the "K" column.

I was just asking the question because my friend (who also has a roadrunner and a leopard) said his leopard is a lot more understable than his roadrunner.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

I saw on THIS chart that the roadrunner is more understable but it is also a higher speed and I did't know exactly how the higher speeds affected discs. I assumed for someone who doesn't throw very far, the leopard would be more understable because it is a lower speed.

Here's how I've wrapped my head around the stability/speed ratings: the speed numbers aren't just "how fast can it go," but also, "how fast must I throw it, for these other numbers to mean anything."

So, the RR has more "high speed turn" than the Leo, meaning it should turn over to a greater degree than the Leo, but you have to throw the RR faster than the Leo to get all of that "turnover" out of it.

Weight, age, and plastic will all make a difference, too. Technique, as well. You may get more snap out of the wide RR rim.

Last edited:
Wouldn't weight also make a difference?

Depends on who you ask. Some will say that weight doesn't affect the flight path and others will tell you it does. I myself prefer drivers to be 168 grams and will throw anything lighter or heavier a little funny the first few times until I get used to it and then I can usually make it fly like I want.

Wouldn't weight also make a difference?

Yes, from my experience, a heavier disc is harder to get up to speed, so if his leopard is lighter he can get it up to speed easier, thus it will be more inclined to act like the chart says it will.

Edit: I see two people answered this while I was typing

Here's how I've wrapped my head around the stability/speed ratings: the speed numbers aren't just "how fast can it go," but also, "how fast must I throw it, for these other numbers to mean anything."

So, the RR has more "high speed turn" than the Leo, meaning it should turn over to a greater degree than the Leo, but you have to throw the RR faster than the Leo to get all of that "turnover" out of it.

Weight, age, and plastic will all make a difference, too. Technique, as well. You may get more snap out of the wide RR rim.

Thanks man, this was pretty much the explanation I was looking for.

"snap", or "torque" matter too. The faster the disk is spinning, the more it want's to turn over.

not to be picky but I do not believe that this is true

snap and torque are not the same in relation to disc flight

snap/spin will help keep the disc flying straight and when the spin slows down but the speed at which the disc is thrown is still high you will get the effect of turn over

this is why you see some gorgeous flights from top players where the disc goes out straight and then gets right turn (RHBH) very late in the flight

throw a disc with anhyzer angle with spin and it should (with some exceptions for very overstable discs) hold that line all the way IF the spin keeps up

but if it starts to lose spin you will see the disc come out of the turn

The plastic matters so much in these two discs, as does the endless variation in how they come out of the molds. I've got or had several of each and without having an old one with you to compare plh with a new one, there's just no telling what level of understability you'll end up with. No guarantee on the weights either - right now I have a 159 star Roadrunner that will burn at 175' on a flat throw and also have a 161 star that is more like a...Leopard. I've got a champ Leopard that is like a TL and a star Leopard that is like a Sidewinder. lol. It's frustrating, but they're still both great discs...just takes some picking and choosing sometimes to get the ones that a) you want, or b) fly like they're supposed to.

yeah i would say roadrunner too but if you really crush a leopard and a rr on a high anny both act the same and sometimes the faster RR will come out of the anny...leopard rim isn't going to do it as much. so i'm going to say they are very close.

i can throw a 300 foot shot with a RR that hyzers all the way. maybe even 350. if it power it way up i can still hyzer flip it forever straight.

The plastic makes a huge impact on the stability. My DX Leopard is a completely different disc than my Champ Leopard. I have to release the DX one with a lot of hyzer and if you didn't see me throw it, you would think it was a forehand shot. The Champ is still straight as an arrow, with a tiny bit of fade at the end.

What Matt O and Oklahyzer said. The plastic makes all the difference with understable discs in general. like my understable discs very flippy, so I ususally use slower discs in DX or Pro-D. Once they are beat to crap, they are wonderful. If you go the Roadrunner route I would recommend Star and give it time to beat in, or throw a lot of thumbers with it. Good luck!

Latest posts