• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Let's discuss the caddy/kids rule

Crowd control, ticket determinations and sales and volunteer staffing is all on the TD and volunteer staff.

Crowd control, ticket determinations and sales and volunteer staffing is all on the TD and volunteer staff.

Not entirely for DGPT events. Ticket sales is on DGPT. Ticket determination is a shared process as is crowd control. Volunteer staffing is on the TD.

Not entirely for DGPT events. Ticket sales is on DGPT. Ticket determination is a shared process as is crowd control. Volunteer staffing is on the TD.

Is it? I don't have any particular insight other than having a DGPT event near us last year and this year...and the TD seems to have near total control over ticket sales and ticket determination. Maybe they're just the mouthpiece for shared and/or DGPT decisions. They certainly "seem" to be the one deciding pretty much everything though. If the idea is just presenting a single voice for shared decisions, they're doing an excellent job of that aspect.

Is it? I don't have any particular insight other than having a DGPT event near us last year and this year...and the TD seems to have near total control over ticket sales and ticket determination. Maybe they're just the mouthpiece for shared and/or DGPT decisions. They certainly "seem" to be the one deciding pretty much everything though. If the idea is just presenting a single voice for shared decisions, they're doing an excellent job of that aspect.

I am running a Silver Series later this year. They sell the tickets.

I am running a Silver Series later this year. They sell the tickets.

Can you expand on "they sell the tickets"? All I see as a community member for the event nearby is the TD posting and showing up to live events trying to encourage people to buy tickets. I guess that's the part I see as "selling". The transactions all seem to happen on the DGPT site, but I don't see them doing any active selling. I'm just curious if they're doing active selling, or you're saying "they sell the tickets" meaning they do the transactions on their site as the extent of their piece of selling.

I don't really know how much of that is "his job" vs just trying to generate interest in his event because he wants people to be interested in his event.

It's more curiosity than anything given that the public-facing side seemed to be nearly a one-man show run by the TD from tickets to course prep to volunteers.

Can you expand on "they sell the tickets"? All I see as a community member for the event nearby is the TD posting and showing up to live events trying to encourage people to buy tickets. I guess that's the part I see as "selling". The transactions all seem to happen on the DGPT site, but I don't see them doing any active selling. I'm just curious if they're doing active selling, or you're saying "they sell the tickets" meaning they do the transactions on their site as the extent of their piece of selling.

I don't really know how much of that is "his job" vs just trying to generate interest in his event because he wants people to be interested in his event.

It's more curiosity than anything given that the public-facing side seemed to be nearly a one-man show run by the TD from tickets to course prep to volunteers.

They sell the tickets through their site, handle that revenue, etc. - local promotion of such is certainly on the TD.

This really isn't related to the topic of this thread, but it is a rules question brought up in a different thread, and I didn't want to start a new thread for this.

Reviving this thread with a question…

Today at a C-Tier tournament, there was a new casual player (not a part of the event) starting at #1 with only one disc (a 13/14-speed driver). We let him play through at first, but he was turned away by the group in front of us.

Everyone in our group agreed to offer him a spot in our group for fun since we only had three players due to a DNF, compared to the four in most groups.

He joined, we gave him a couple of more suitable discs, and let him play with us for about half of the round.

Just wondering if there are any rules against a non-registered casual player joining a group in a sanctioned event. It didn't hold anyone up and obviously he wasn't competing for money or prizes.

Is the underlined a rules violation?
If so, what rule is being violated?

This really isn't related to the topic of this thread, but it is a rules question brought up in a different thread, and I didn't want to start a new thread for this.

Is the underlined a rules violation?
If so, what rule is being violated?

I think Competition Manual 1.01 Player Eligibility covers this...kind of. Since they were playing with the group, they were in the tournament. There is the insurance issue...but I think this would be the rule to cover it.

A. All members in good standing of the PDGA are eligible to compete in any division for which they qualify based upon class (Professional or Amateur), age, gender, and player rating. Exceptions must be approved in advance by the PDGA Director of Event Support. Please see Section 2: Division Qualifications for more specific information on division eligibility.
B. Membership Requirements:
1. Current PDGA Membership is required to compete in any Major, Elite Series, A-Tier, or B-Tier event.
2. In all other PDGA-sanctioned events, players who are not current members may compete by paying a non-member fee (not required for Leagues, see 1.14.C.1).
3. In PDGA-sanctioned events which permit non-members or non-current members to compete by paying a non-member fee, such a fee will not apply to players competing in Junior divisions or where the requirement has been waived by the PDGA Director of Event Support (e.g., WGE or Competition Endowment Program events).

The players did not pay the fee under #2 above.

But the player in question wasn't competing.
Just a casual player.

DiscinOhio & cardmates (who were competing in the event), only had 3 people on their card.
So they allowed this casual player to play along with their card, as a courtesy to that person.

Yes it's highly irregular, but doesn't seem like anyone violated any rule.

As for insurance issue: I don't see how it's any different than if a casual player were playing between two cards that were registered in the event.

Did the tournament rent the park with an agreement that no one else can play during the tournament?

If not, how is someone playing a disc golf course available to the public causing any liability for anyone?

Doesn't sound like TD reserved the course.

When all is said and done,this appears to be a, "Nothing to see here. Please move along," type situation.

Did the tournament rent the park with an agreement that no one else can play during the tournament?

If not, how is someone playing a disc golf course available to the public causing any liability for anyone?

Things may be different in your area, but around here you need a permit from P&R to hold a tournament on a course in a public park, which grants tournament participants exclusive use of the course during the event (P&R CAN and WILL [and HAS] remove[d] non-participants who ignore[d] that exclusive use), and you can't get a permit without providing a certificate of insurance covering tournament staff, volunteers, and participants (note that the PDGA COI explicitly limits coverage to staff, event volunteers, and registered participants.) The grant of exclusive use of the course creates a potential liability issue because a non-registered player may be deemed a de facto participant in the event.

Things may be different in your area, but around here you need a permit from P&R to hold a tournament on a course in a public park, which grants tournament participants exclusive use of the course during the event . . .

Thank you, that is why I asked.

From what I hear, sometimes TDs may have the option to request exclusive use of the course (costing more $$$), or non-exclusive use (less $$$, but have to deal with random folks showing up to play a round).

Was going to start a new thread to get this answered asap but hopefully here will work.

Playing in a C tier...in torrential rain...and a young mother is playing in the event whilst pushing around her baby in a buggy, around 6 months old.

We were rightfully told we couldn't play with our dogs in tow, rightfully so of course, but we're oddly reminded of the rule despite playing and running events for over a decade.

It has in no way effected us apart from watching the craziness of negotiating a flooded course with a buggy from afar, but as a rules violation should we call it to ensure it doesn't happen round 2.

Was going to start a new thread to get this answered asap but hopefully here will work.

Playing in a C tier...in torrential rain...and a young mother is playing in the event whilst pushing around her baby in a buggy, around 6 months old.

We were rightfully told we couldn't play with our dogs in tow, rightfully so of course, but we're oddly reminded of the rule despite playing and running events for over a decade.

It has in no way effected us apart from watching the craziness of negotiating a flooded course with a buggy from afar, but as a rules violation should we call it to ensure it doesn't happen round 2.

Have the TD call the PDGA Director of Event Support for the ruling. Contact info is in the Competition Manual...introduction