• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Let's Start a Real War - Buzzz vs. Core

jtbingster

* Ace Member *
I'm sick of the Roc vs. Buzzz war. :\ There just isn't any comparison between the discs. So, I thought maybe we could start a debate about two discs that are actually comparable. I threw the Buzzz for a while, then threw the Roc, and now I'm throwing a Core. Here is my amateur comparison of the Core vs. the Buzzz, and those of you who have thrown both of them can say which you like better. Keep in mind, I'm comparing the Z Buzzz to the Opto Core.

In the hand:
The Core and Buzzz feel very similar. The Core is about 1/5 of a centimeter wider (diameter), but it's almost unnoticeable. The rim of the Core is a little more slanted, while the Buzzz has more of a pronounced curve. I do like the grip of Opto plastic way better than that of Z.

In flight:
The slanted rim of the Core causes it to be a little faster than the Buzzz. Not much, but there is a slight speed difference. The big thing I noticed about the Core is its glide. I'd heard of Lat64's glide, but this was the thing that first caught my interest with the Core. The Buzzz is great on low lines, but the Core is even better because it will just keep on flying.

At low speeds, the discs are pretty similar. The Core and Buzzz both have reliable fade at low speeds, and it's at higher speeds that the differences become a little more pronounced.

At high speeds the Core really shines, in my opinion. For one thing, it has the great controllability that anyone who has thrown a Buzzz will know about. The Core can be thrown on a laser line and trusted to keep whatever line you throw it on. With the added glide, the Core is a fearsome straight-flying midrange. One thing I really like about the Core is the fact that at high speeds it has slightly more fade and slightly more turn than the Buzzz. It isn't understable, but it is much better at holding an anhyzer line than the Buzzz.

In wind:
I have not had the opportunity to test the Core in heavy wind. I did throw it for a little while in light/medium wind, and as far as I could tell is performed well, comparable to the Buzzz. Anyone who has thrown it in wind more than I have is welcome to chime in with his thoughts.

That's what I have to say! Let's have some good discussion! :popcorn:

Like the Fuse even more but core was the first to replace my buzz. Great disc like you mentioned with even better lines than a buzz which seems to be more of a straight flyer than the core. Love the durability of opto plastic and felt the core was much better off the tee than a buzz specially for multiple/ different lines. Buzz actually preforms better in the wind though due to its lower profile and less glide but that is why Lat. 64 makes the pain :)

Eh, the Core is nice, but from what I've tried (about 10 or so Cores) there's too much variation and even the more stable ones are only about as stable as your average Z Buzzz, and none of them get close to an overstable Buzzz (Glo Z). They do glide nicely, but not enough to make up for their other shortcomings.

But it's a moot issue, since the MD2 is better than either. =)

Eh, the Core is nice, but from what I've tried (about 10 or so Cores) there's too much variation and even the more stable ones are only about as stable as your average Z Buzzz, and none of them get close to an overstable Buzzz (Glo Z). They do glide nicely, but not enough to make up for their other shortcomings.

But it's a moot issue, since the MD2 is better than either. =)[/QUOTE]

Please enlighten us

But it's a moot issue, since the MD2 is better than either. =)

Well of course, if you want a mid with stability in between a Buzzz and Roc, the Core isn't for you. I won't deny that. It's for guys like me who want a more neutral mid that can shape lines. That's why I can't wait to try out a Pain, because I think it would pair perfectly with a Core.

A Z Buzzz and Opto Core compare very well in the same weight.

I feel like a Core has superior glide and grip.

I feel that the Buzzz is more versitle for one mold. Like someone already mentioned the Z Glo buzzz is the most stable version of the Buzzz, so you can get the same mold and weight with different flight charactoristics. (Maybe this is just the different plastic types that Discraft offers).

Maybe Lat64 needs a grip line core

Ehh the core was ok, but did not have the HSS that the buzzz has. At the time my Mako was better than the core with more glide and easier slower anny lines.

Ehh the core was ok, but did not have the HSS that the buzzz has.

True. I said that. I realize that for some people, that would be a pro, while it would be a con for others. For me, the less HSS means I can throw annies easier with the Core, and shape lines better.

Please enlighten us
Well of course, if you want a mid with stability in between a Buzzz and Roc, the Core isn't for you. I won't deny that. It's for guys like me who want a more neutral mid that can shape lines. That's why I can't wait to try out a Pain, because I think it would pair perfectly with a Core.
I wouldn't call the Core neutral. It's pretty easy to turn and definitely has a fade at the end. A neutral disc would be hard to turn and would have very little fade.

It's actually exactly what I want, which is why I picked the MD2. The C-Lines I use (flat gummies, domey ones tend to be a bit more LSS) hold very slight anhyzers and hyzers even in the wind (not on a Comet level obviously, nothing gets there, but pretty darn great anyway), have less fade than any premium Buzzz I've ever thrown, I never have to worry about throwing it full power, and it's fast and glidey enough so that I don't need anything between it and my PD's/TD's (those obviously also power down nicely, which helps), still works fantastically on shorter shots, and for some unfathomable reason won't turn into 25-30 mph headwinds (I had to do it to believe it myself). The only things the C-Line doesn't excel at are pure finesse shots, which is why I also have P and D-MD2's. Slightly seasoned ones are almost like faster Comets (admittedly less glidey) and the beat ones are great for understable stuff, and fit my style better than the Fuse.

And none of those are even my favorites. The first run orange P-Lines were absolutely sublime but unfortunately next to impossible to find, and if someone has them, they won't sell 'em. Luckily I have a couple but won't throw them if there's a chance to lose them.

So yeah, that's how it is for me. I love the MD2 because it turns less and is more wind resistant than either the Core or the Buzzz, but still has less fade (apart from the domey premiums). There's a reason Climo is throwing it. And if I need the fade, I have a Vector, which is surprisingly workable if you adjust the anhyzer angle.

But anyway, back to the Buzzz vs. Core stuff.

EDIT: Oh, and the reason I picked on the Core for not having the stability of the more overstable Buzzzes in any run is simply due to my personal dislike of throwing a bunch of different molds that almost do the same thing, when one more versatile would suffice. The Buzzz can be as understable as a Core but it can also be more overstable. Hence I'd pick the Buzzz, because with the Core I'd still be left wanting something a bit more stable, in addition to the real overstable mid.

Last edited:
True. I said that. I realize that for some people, that would be a pro, while it would be a con for others. For me, the less HSS means I can throw annies easier with the Core, and shape lines better.
The problem with that is that there are plenty of less stable Buzzzes that'll do what you're talking about. The Buzzz in its different variations can do everything the Core can do (except glide quite as well), but the Core can't do everything a Buzzz can.

If there were more Cores that came out noticeably more overstable than your average Core, it'd be harder to decide.

Or you could just throw Rocs. I kid, I kid. I have never thrown a Core, but if it is less stable than a Buzzz, I don't want to. Used to throw Buzzz as my only mid-range, but switched to Rocs and now when I try to throw my Buzzz on long, flat lines it just turns over.

It isn't less stable, it is just more workable. Jubuttib, I think others would agree that even beat Buzzzes or D/X Buzzzes aren't great at anhyzers. It just isn't their strongest point. Either they come out of it or hold it too sharply. That's where the Core is much better, at least in my opinion.

Last edited:
Core>Buzz. Pain>Buzz. Fuse>Buzz ss. I made the change from Buzz to Core over a yr ago and havent looked back. Tons of reasons why but the Grip and feel of the Core was the #1 reason. A heavy core is just as stable as a Buzz. From my expercience weights are very important for alot of latitude. 175 core flies totally different from a 165. If you try one and its not stable enough, id suggest trying a heavier one before giving up on it.

It isn't less stable, it is just more workable. Jubuttib, I think others would agree that even beat Buzzzes or D/X Buzzzes aren't great at anhyzers. It just isn't their strongest point. Either they come out of it or hold it too sharply. That's where the Core is much better, at least in my opinion.
Fair enough. The Buzzz has worked for me on anhyzers when I've tried it, but I don't have too extensive experience with them.

I'm on the Core vs. Buzzz fence right now. I have also tried other "modern" mids, like the MD2 and Mako. I found the Mako too squirrely at full power. the MD2 flew like a Roc (or at least what I remember a Roc doing). Maybe it flew like a shorter Buzzz. The MD2 is a really cool disc, but not what I was looking for.

as for Core vs. Buzzz: I've thrown the Buzzz for a couple of years now. the buzzzes I have now don't fly as nice as I remember them. The Core does the things I remember the Buzzz doing and then some and it does it longer. True the Core is not as HSS as the Buzzz but right now the Core is winning. I have a Fuse on the way. everything may change then.

Uh... you could contribute to the discussion by elaborating, or you could just write something pointless.

There are different variations on cores. I have a pancake flat early run Gold Line that is dead straight with a little high speed turn and very little fade. Also i have a domey Gold line that is definitely more stable and can handle more power and fades more almost Pain like

Last edited: