• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Trash Panda - Inner Core

Rastnav

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
For those who have following the DIY recycled disc odyssey that Jesse has been on, the first PDGA approved disc is here!

The Inner Core is a putter, flight numbers 2/4/-0.5/0. Those who have thrown it say that it really is an extremely straight flyer out of the box that simply holds the angle you put it on. It's manufactured in CO from recycled TPU plastic that is sourced from a recycler also in CO.

Here is a little mini-documentary on the journey from wild idea to first run of approved discs. If you have watched any of his stuff before, this is much more professionally put together, but his genuine enthusiasm for both disc golf and making recycled discs still comes through.

One little detail that I think shows that this is a guy who has been really thinking things through is that every disc they make will have the month and year of manufacturer stamped into it. He specifically references the idea that you won't have to guess what run the disc is from, it's right there on the disc. Especially given the additional variance that's likely to come from using post consumer recycled plastic, that's a really nice touch.

I bought two and I'm looking forward to trying them out.

I haven't met him but he seems like a pretty cool guy. I know he has gone out to several local courses and literally picked up all of the trash off the course. I'm talking fishing plastic bags and bottles out of creeks and everything.

I need more discs like I need a hole in the head but I'll probably grab a couple to support him and his efforts.

I have a couple of his markers and I'm thinking about buying a stack of them and intentionally leaving them randomly on courses when I play in hopes that someone will not only find it and enjoy it but maybe look up Trash Panda from the information on the back of the mini and see what he is all about.

For those who have following the DIY recycled disc odyssey that Jesse has been on, the first PDGA approved disc is here!

The Inner Core is a putter, flight numbers 2/4/-0.5/0. Those who have thrown it say that it really is an extremely straight flyer out of the box that simply holds the angle you put it on. It's manufactured in CO from recycled TPU plastic that is sourced from a recycler also in CO.

Here is a little mini-documentary on the journey from wild idea to first run of approved discs. If you have watched any of his stuff before, this is much more professionally put together, but his genuine enthusiasm for both disc golf and making recycled discs still comes through.

One little detail that I think shows that this is a guy who has been really thinking things through is that every disc they make will have the month and year of manufacturer stamped into it. He specifically references the idea that you won't have to guess what run the disc is from, it's right there on the disc. Especially given the additional variance that's likely to come from using post consumer recycled plastic, that's a really nice touch.

I bought two and I'm looking forward to trying them out.

I'm friends with Jesse and support his vision. My closest homie who's an old ass dude pro like me (upper MP40) is sponsored by Jesse. Jesse played tags with us once and he debuted this disc a couple of months ago at my local. A couple years ago me and some bros ganked Jesse's prototype (seriously...imagine you are this dude and you lose your proto just f'ing around at your backyard course) at an even more ghetto local course but then we saw him walking around and made our acquaintances.

All of that was a super humble brag about how special I am. I hope that didn't pass unnoticed.

So. Anyways. It flew pretty decent. You know. It flew well. I'm sorta attached to Envy Teebird. It's hard to break into this game. It flew well enough to rep it, if you believe in the same vision.

I believe we are ignorant humans who are creating ungodly amounts of waste...so...maybe I need to reconsider my attachment to Envy Teebird and see if I can get sponsored by Jesse too.

:D

Just ordered 2 putters and a blemished mini. It will have a rough time kicking the Reko out of my bag, but if it flies great I might stop buying Rekos so I can slowly run out.

Sometimes you just have to buy something to support the person/plan. I bought one of Jesse's Inner Cores. Might never make my bag, but I like what he has done and is continuing to do.

I love the passion and the vision. I'll probably pick one or two up to try out, but I suspect they're probably too deep for my small hands. I don't even like the feel of a P2.

The guy may be a marketing genius as well. It looks like anyone and everyone with a disc golf podcast has a video up with the Trash Panda disc. If you aren't Innova, Discraft, or some other big manufacturer you have to get the word out about your product and having a bunch of people making videos with your disc seems like a good way to draw attention.

I ordered a pair and they showed up today. Both weigh 166g. Haven't thrown them yet, but they feel alot like star plastic, maybe a bit more flexible. No stamp at all, the labels are just molded in on the bottom.

Attachments

• 1391840F-964E-43AC-8C5B-1C56983B621A.jpg
    1391840F-964E-43AC-8C5B-1C56983B621A.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 11A28F39-A73E-4399-95C3-D15DF5E2689F.jpg
    11A28F39-A73E-4399-95C3-D15DF5E2689F.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 2508E8EC-6393-4DBD-8A57-0AC892311CF7.jpg
    2508E8EC-6393-4DBD-8A57-0AC892311CF7.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 48
I ordered a pair and they showed up today. Both weigh 166g. Haven't thrown them yet, but they feel alot like star plastic, maybe a bit more flexible. No stamp at all, the labels are just molded in on the bottom.

How deep are they? What is the closest profile disc you can compare it to?

How deep are they? What is the closest profile disc you can compare it to?

I think the closest thing I can compare it to is the Agent. The inner core has more of a sharp angle where the agent is more rounded, but the way the flight plate angles down toward the rim gives it a similar feel.
It may be a hair deeper than the agent, but not as deep as an aviar.

I think the closest thing I can compare it to is the Agent. The inner core has more of a sharp angle where the agent is more rounded, but the way the flight plate angles down toward the rim gives it a similar feel.
It may be a hair deeper than the agent, but not as deep as an aviar.

Got it. Thanks for the comparison.

How durable are they? Is this plastic comparable to a base or premium plastic?

It's a premium plastic.
I took them out for a round today. They're slick like a premium plastic, but I didn't have any grip issues.
Also no problems with big skips or roll aways, but it was just 1 round so have to take that with a grain of salt.
They flew flat and had good glide, slightly overstable. The farthest I threw them was probably 70-80' approach shots though.

I played a one disc round with one yesterday. Overall it's an extremely solid disc.

I think this is the closest thing I've thrown that is a teuw neural disc. It really does tend to just stay on the line you put it on. If you have it a little nose up, it will fade out more at the end, but it's not finicky or touchy. It's easy to throw solid lines even when you are slightly off . It also has a big glide factor, so it's easy to give it less power and still get whee you need to.

The feel ia interesting. Definitely closer to a star type plastic, but without feeling quite as soft to the grip, but without being on the slick side. The disc itself is quite flexible, but I think part of that is the flight plate, which seems quite thin compared to most putters.

In terms of wear, you really can't tell that it has hit anything, even though I popped into quite a few trees and near full power. Definitely seems like it will wear like a premium plastic.

The only bad thing I really have to say is that the flashing netween the tip and bottom of the mold is fairly noticable, peobably more than the average new disc. Nothing that's not easily correctable, though.

I seem to recall from one of Jesse's videos about the disc that stamps are not recyclable, so he isn't stamping his discs as he wants them to remain fully recyclable. However, dyes are recyclable, so feel free to dye the disc. I think he even asked people to send him photos of any Inner Core they dyed.

There's also a comment on a video that the O in Inner Core is the injection mold spot and the person commenting on it hoped that future discs would continue to incorporate that idea (the disc name having an O that is the injection mold spot).

Quick Review with initial thoughts.

Plastic: I'd liken it to a more flexible ESP. Not a lot of grip compared to the other "Star" type plastics, but the flex makes up for that in some ways.

Profile: Little deeper than I like for a putter. No bead. Top wing has a pronounced downward bevel instead of the usual rounded shoulder. This bevel is also there on the underside of the flight plate where you might rest your fingers against the rim. Hard to explain this but it actually makes the profile feel shallower, which I like.

Flight: I think this thing needs a little more finesse than I even expected. Grip issues led to a few inconsistent drives, with some turnovers and shorter throws without much spin on them. I was able to get a few good ones into it, and it is fairly straight, slow, and floaty without much fade.

I think it has the potential for some people who want a slower disc for touch shots that need to push straight without much fade. I don't play many courses that need that type of shot 'round here.

Latest posts