• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Let's talk Overhand...

What is the grip for a tommy and how does arm travel? I am planning on working on overhand throws this year. I can throw thumbers and tomahawks to get out of trouble. But would like to improve both throws. I have have heard of Tommy's but can't find how it is done? Any help would be appreciated!!

Tommy is just an anhyzer forehand. Find something insanely flippy, and it's not even an extreme anhyzer.

The closest thing i have seen to a thumber in the mainstream sports is from an outfielders throwing. very similar motion because they have to throw high and far, although not quite as high as thumbers. I was watching videos on youtube of throwing technique and this is one of the better ones. a lot, if not all of it translated directly to thumbers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWRfCQWG6p0

The biggest thing i got from all the videos that i use in my thumbers are, using your legs and weight transfer. lots of people try to arm it, and your really have to throw from your legs, to your abs, to your chest, to your shoulder, to your elbow, to your disc. when done properly, it just flows.

Last edited:
I have 2 159g champion FB. Dx would be a bad idea, as it wouldn't take many thumber landings to have a teeBird.

I disagree, on the dx opinion. I throw probably 75 percent of my tommys with FAF dx firebirds. They beat in quickly obviously, but I love the difference you can get in flight paths.

I disagree, on the dx opinion. I throw probably 75 percent of my tommys with FAF dx firebirds. They beat in quickly obviously, but I love the difference you can get in flight paths.

dont think ive ever seen a faf dx firebird before.

I wish I knew how to upload pictures off my phone.. I've got 2 in the bag right now, the flattest I've found in dx are usually white. It's definitely something you want to get your hands on before buying

Thumbers have slowly developed into a relatively important part of my game. Tight lines, straight then slight left turning holes (I'm a predominant LHBH'r) and then any and all island kind of shots. Very consistent on distance control and rarely "fluffed" or "sawed off". I use old pearly Champ Orcs for quick flipping thumbers (230-240') , Opto Trident for straight or limited right to left action thumbers (240-260') and then FAF Star Firebirds for slow panning, distance thumbers (up to 310').

That looks like Kermit the frog's face! My favorite Roc is the exact same way, but I can't imagine your FB is remotely stable.

Yeah it's the most beat one I carry in my bag currently.. Not stable at all, but i get a nice slow pan out of it on a tommy

Latest posts