• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Let's talk star rhynos... again

burdphil

Eagle Member
The first time I felt up a star rhyno was a couple of years ago or so and if I recall correctly, it was super stiff and painfully domey. Today I was at my local disc shop and for whatever reason I pulled a star rhyno off the shelf and was surprised to find that it was extremely gummy and nicely grippy. I could fold it like a taco with one hand. It was also reasonably flat, though it did have that annoying nipple on the top.

I was also a little surprised to find that it was the Ontario mold... I guess I had always assumed that they weren't producing these anymore.

Is this part of a new run where they've altered the star plastic or something? Or have they always been super gummy and I'm just remembering the old ones wrong? Does anyone know anything about these, and has anyone thrown them?

But it wasn't a CFR disc, it had the standard star stamp. This is not a shop that carries older discs...

So I went back to the shop and got the gummy Ontario star rhyno. It's pretty freaking awesome. I went out and abused it for awhile today... it seems to have more glide than the semi-gummy pearly Ontario champs I typically use (and love)... flies dead straight with excellent stability even into a headwind. I'm kind of surprised these things don't get more love...

8063965059_76524874dd_z.jpg

8064086219_b89d37023e_z.jpg

8063983548_5b92c874c1_z.jpg

Found one of these at a local shop today. I had no idea they existed. Haven't thrown it yet but I'm already making plans to permanently fit it in my bag somehow. I normally play with XG champs, maybe it can be a rainy day disc. It's white with this weird blueish marbling along the rim. Did anyone find out what the deal is with the Ontario tooling? Old disc/new stamp?

Every Star Rhyno I've held in the past couple of years has been fairly gummy...not quite as gummy as my XG Asian Open Champ one though.

I just got an Ontario Star Rhyno. It's a tad less flexible than an XG, super grippy. Stock stamp, no flight #s. I've never seen one like it. How rare are these?

Not sure how rare, but I went back to my local shop and managed to find a second one of these so I grabbed it. The pair of twin gummy Star Rhynos have gradually become my everyday putters. Grippy and gummy and they catch the chains. Good in all conditions, wind, rain, cold, etc.