• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

LHBH Starter Disc

EsotericForest

Bogey Member
A friend of mine has started to get into disc golfing thanks to me, and I wanted to pick him up a disc for him to start with, instead of just throwing one of my spare discs. He's been using my Leopard DX (150g) and has been doing reasonable with it. He's a left-hand back-hand thrower, so I wasn't sure if that would make any difference in disc selection.

Regards,
Josh

left or right handed-ness won't make any difference in discs, ever,

I'm saying this now, if its only one disc, get him a buzzz,

my first month, i drove with it, then threw my upshot with it, then putted with it.

now I can make it do anything I want. its super versatile. if you go driver/mid/putter, i'd go pretty standard, eagle or gazelle or cheetah, buzzz, aviar (any other putter would also work here)

Alright thanks! I figured it wouldn't matter that he's a lefty, but I just thought it was worth mentioning just in case I was ignorant of an important fact ;).

I always hear about people using the buzzz and how wonderful it is, but I've never thrown one.

I'm not going to jump off the roc v buzzz debate,

I've thrown both, I just like buzzz's more. I change my bag alot, but at least one of my 4 buzzz's are ALWAYS in there

^I know which one it is...buzzz that is

Scarface dye!

I'd second those picks...

but if you must have a driver type disc... then the leopard, teebird or stalker are all great options. Go for the Champion (Innova) or Z (Discraft) type plastic... DX and Pro D are cool too but you'll hit trees and drastically change the flight pretty quickly (not so good for newer players just getting used to a disc).

haha, as upset as I am about the ion,

had I lost my scarface buzzz yesterday, I would have cried. that disc is the staple of my bag, I mean, you've seen how I throw that thing Noill, it just does EVERYTHING for me at 300' and under.

I'd second those picks...

but if you must have a driver type disc... then the leopard, teebird or stalker are all great options. Go for the Champion (Innova) or Z (Discraft) type plastic... DX and Pro D are cool too but you'll hit trees and drastically change the flight pretty quickly (not so good for newer players just getting used to a disc).

actually I find that slightly worn dx/pro d plastics are more "workable" for beginners.

after he noobs them into a few trees, a dx cheetah or gazelle will be right at that sweet spot stage already, where it won't quite turn over easily, but it also won't noob hyzer and stall out for him.

I have to give a shout out for the Cheetah too actually... very great disc and once worn in a bit turns into an excellent roller and get out of trouble disc... just replaced my lost DX with a 10x KC Pro (waiting patiently for it to arrive)...

I suggest the Champ / Z plastic 'cuz newer players may not get the plastic addiction and then wind up with a very flippy disc... if they do get the addiction then the ol' DX / ProD is a very good idea

I suggest the Champ / Z plastic 'cuz newer players may not get the plastic addiction and then wind up with a very flippy disc... if they do get the addiction then the ol' DX / ProD is a very good idea
This seems like the best solution to me :)

this game,

you play once, and you feel 1 of 2 ways

1) ehh, that was alright, this was a decent way to chill with my friends

or

2) omg, I'm so upset I didn't already know about this sport! I need to play again! crap! I need my own discs! *to the local disc shop*

option 2 being the addiction, like most of us on this site

Get him a Groove and a Polecat... he'll be the envy of the course! Not really...

Buzzz is a great beginner disc, so is the Shark or Cobra. A beginner can play with one disc and keep it in his bag (when he gets one) forever.

'till it disappears in the schule or takes a dive into the pond...that's what usually sets off buying sprees

I agree with the buzzz.. I love my rocs, but they take some time to learn. I would go with.. Champ leopard in the 160's, 170 Z Buzzz, and 175 Aviar/Magic/Magnet. plastic doesn't really matter for putters.

Comet, Fuse, Millennium Aurora MS, Ontario Roc, Mako, Coyote, Cobra, etc.

Haha, what do you mean by "addiction"?

It's hard to walk out of a disc shop without a new disc. It really is a kind of addiction haha

He's a spy!!!!! ... somebody get him!!

no really .. Buzzz .. do eet! .. do eet nao!!!

If you're stuck on innova, I prefer the Shark over the Roc as a starter mid, but that's just me.