• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Lid Lovers

-does anyone use or like birdies? I have had a blast tossing them but erryone uses sonic or polekitty. Im using the birdy for long bids on basket (Highspinput) or straight approaches with danger long. What are differences or advantages to other lids? fwiw I put and drive w DX rhyno so feel is similar

Methinks the reason teh Polekitty has gained so much ground with lid throwers is that it's shallow and easier to grip. Back in the day everyone was coming off throwing Frisbee's so the low profile actually screwed with people who liked lids; they preferred the deeper Birdie. If you start out throwing golf discs and then pick up a lid, the Polecat is almost a no-brainer becasue it's going to feel more comfortable in the hand.

I throw Birdies a lot as a catch disc. I almost never throw one on the course anymore.

Yup. The Piranha was around for most of the 90's. Almost nobody bought them. They were one of the "stock 10 at the beginning of the season and let them sit around" discs at the shop I ran. They actually were one of the worst selling discs I had, and lids in general were poor sellers. Polecats, Rattlers, Upshots and Super Puppies all collected dust in that shop. The old pre-thumbtrac Birdie was the only lid that I could sell, and it mostly sold due to the pot leaf disguised as bird feathers on the stamp. :\

I love throwing lids, though. Maybe the market has changed enough to support a disc like the Piranha now. I just understand why Innova has no interest in being the company that finds out. Somebody is really going to have to want to make that disc for it to happen.

wow that's crazy I guess it explains why they are oop but both my brother and I love piranhas and will never putt with anything but its also funny how you couldn't sell them back then when they were prob. what 6/7 dollars now your lucky to get one for under 50 lol

Well unfortunately I am officially not much of a lid lover...when it comes to disc golf. My favorite disc is still the ultra star (not for disc golf haha) and I love to throw the rattler I bought for games of catch for warming up! I do love my lids dearly...however when I play disc golf I prefer the comfort of my D Magnets, which are my favorite disc golf disc. They are PLENTY slow and neutral and definitely do not fade too much lol...yet they are so much more comfy in hand than the pol-e-cat as Lamar says!

Magnet is a lid in disguise.

I didn't think I'd like the Polecat, because I didn't like the Birdie. Never put it together that the Birdie is deeper :doh: thanks 3putt

I do like the Polecat, though. I always hated my buddy using his Zephyrs ... they're just too deadly in some cases. Now that I have my mini-Zephyr, though, I have no fear!

Just great! I hate this place!

I fondled a Polecat a few weeks ago and thought, hmmm, interesting, what will I ever use this for? Now going through the thread I have to have one!

And I just trimmed the heard down last fall too!

Should I start a "Little Lid Lovers" thread?
My kid's smart.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 29
All polecats are good but I prefer them flat just so they aren't as susceptible to windplay.

That makes sense. I bought the only flat one my store had. It did better in a headwind then I would have thought. It will knock out my rattler for sure I think.

Tons of Polecat love. Does anyone like the Birdie? I have one collecting dust that I wanted to toss one day, just to see how it flies.

Tons of Polecat love. Does anyone like the Birdie? I have one collecting dust that I wanted to toss one day, just to see how it flies.

I like both, but prefer Kittens by a little. Kitties are shallower and a little straighter/glidier to me. I still throw birdies sometimes though.

Unless yours is an old barstamp, you should jut throw it. Heck, I throw my old barstamp since the old DX plastic is so nice.

It won't have as much glide. Just throw it. Is it valuable or something?

No, it's a normal DX Birdie. I just haven't gotten around to throwing it. To be honest, this thread reminded me of it.

Apparently when the original Piranha's top was changed to the Thumbtrac-style we know today, it became the Birdie. If my Champ Birdie is any indication of the Piranha's flight, I can understand why 3P has the opinion of overstable lids that he does. It's a glideless turd and so anti-lid it's not even funny. I have no idea why people pay the money for them that they do. The Lock Jaw (what I'm thinking in my crusade for another overstable lid) is very much the opposite. Good glide but more HSS and LSS than the Polecat.

Just came back in from playing catch with an Ultrastar. So fun to throw.

Anybody throw a Bite?

*I know it's not PDGA approved but as a catch disc.

Latest posts