• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Lightning Discs

Back to banknwank and his Lightning experiment.

If you really like the big diameters I'd recommend you find a #2 Flyer. It was the B-2 back in the day.

It flies between a Scorpion and a Barracuda.

*Is oblivious to the fact that saying a disc flies between a Scorpion and a Barracuda to a modern disc golfer is like telling a colorblind person that their shirt is between violet and periwinkle*

P38 I got in 1985. Flippiest disc I've ever thrown. I had the dog chew it up to increase stability. Flies slightly less understable these days.

Seriously though, Lightning made some incredibly durable plastic. The P38 is the only disc I got in the mid 80s that survived. All my Aeros, XDs and Aviars cracked decades ago. I was still throwing that P38 last year.

Attachments

• 2014-06-07 15.56.34.jpg
    2014-06-07 15.56.34.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 38
All those old stamps are sweet. Why did they change the theme?

I think both themes are cool; however, people would argue their present stamps aren't themes...just flight pictures. Anyways, who answers the phone when you call to place orders? Is it Steve himself?

All those old stamps are sweet. Why did they change the theme?
What Steve told me was that in the early 90's disc golf started to boom in Japan. He was selling golf discs with WWII airplanes on them. For some unknown reason, Japan wouldn't let them in the country. :|

He needed to change the stamps and naming to get them into the Japan market, and one of the big complaints he heard was nobody who was new to the game knew what over or understable meant and had no idea what they were buying when they bought a Cobra or Viper or whatever. So he put the flightpath on the stamp. It worked; those discs are still popular with n00bs becasue you can tell what it is supposed to do from the stamp.

I think both themes are cool; however, people would argue their present stamps aren't themes...just flight pictures. Anyways, who answers the phone when you call to place orders? Is it Steve himself?
I have not needed to call Lightning Discs in 15 years, but 15 years ago Steve answered the phone. I'm not sure Steve still owns Lightning. Hell, I'm not sure Lightning is still in business. I hope they are; I need to stock up on Upshots if they are not.

I honestly really like some Lightning discs, their base plastic that I have seen isn't awesome, but the Prostyle is very similar to the new XT from Innova. Their glow is also the best base glow I've seen.

I love the U2(#2 Upshot) it's very much like a Classic Roc and reminds me some of a Voodoo.

If the had jumped on the high speed driver wagon, we'd probably still be hearing more about people using them.

I have an upshot #2 if anyone is interested, it's really a good putter/approacher but I'm all about the nova now.

Back in 2002 I had a Lightning #1 Flyer and it was awesome. I lost it and never had another again. Maybe I should.

I think lightning is on their way out. Apparently they have stopped their web page and a friend of mine buys alot of lightning stuff for himself and new players in the area. The last time he ordered they didn't know if they could fill his order. I can't confirm that.

Discgolfcenter restocked their Lightning in April. And they always run ads in Discgolfer magazine. So somebody is still buying their discs.

I think lightning is on their way out. Apparently they have stopped their web page and a friend of mine buys alot of lightning stuff for himself and new players in the area. The last time he ordered they didn't know if they could fill his order. I can't confirm that.

That would be a real shame, they had changed out the base plastic to that more durable Dow stuff and put out a Archon/Aries type driver (MX-1), hopefully if anything they could partner up with a company that makes premium plastic and do something like Discmania or DGA does, a couple of tweaked/retooled molds to fill gaps like a good stable putting putter and maybe a more headwind friendly driver the same speed as the MX-1 with some of their best molds (Upshot, #2 Roller, #2 Hyzer, #2 Helix, etc) done in premium plastic could really revitalize things. Many golfers don't know it but they owe a great deal of gratitude to Lightning, their court battles allowed many of the newer companies to exist since few if any have truly original mold ideas.

That would be a real shame, they had changed out the base plastic to that more durable Dow stuff and put out a Archon/Aries type driver (MX-1), hopefully if anything they could partner up with a company that makes premium plastic and do something like Discmania or DGA does, a couple of tweaked/retooled molds to fill gaps like a good stable putting putter and maybe a more headwind friendly driver the same speed as the MX-1 with some of their best molds (Upshot, #2 Roller, #2 Hyzer, #2 Helix, etc) done in premium plastic could really revitalize things. Many golfers don't know it but they owe a great deal of gratitude to Lightning, their court battles allowed many of the newer companies to exist since few if any have truly original mold ideas.

If a company that does better branding in the current market had a few of those molds they could make some cash.

Wow, a little chatter on the lightning stuff...... It seems lightnings web sight is not up and phone is disconnected....... I would say they are on the way out, if not out. So stock up if you have a favorite you are still throwing. I put the #2 roller and slice in the bag today. Conditions weren't very conducive for the roller, but the slice did some work on anny lines today. It may replace my stingray. My sting ray is getting beat. to the point it turns a little too easy and have had a few cut roll on me recently. Fresh 170 ray still turns pretty hard and fresh 180 takes a good hit to get it to turn...... I am getting a nice and slow and controlled turn right around the 300 ft mark out of the slice and Parked a 350 footer with it today (down hill). I may buy some back ups on the slice. It glows,it floats (on air and water) and it turns...... It also feels similar to my favorite rocs in the grip.
My #? ( forgot no. )Roller isn't very flippy at 180 and flys nice and straight for now. But no really anything I feel needs to be added to the bag right now. And will have to spend more time the huge fh roller before I can comment any more on it, but it does like a condor on a bh.
I will prob try some more lightning plastic. But would hate to find something I can't live with out if they are gonna dissapear.

Back to banknwank and his Lightning experiment.

If you really like the big diameters I'd recommend you find a #2 Flyer. It was the B-2 back in the day.

It flies between a Scorpion and a Barracuda.

*Is oblivious to the fact that saying a disc flies between a Scorpion and a Barracuda to a modern disc golfer is like telling a colorblind person that their shirt is between violet and periwinkle*

Gonna try a 2 flyer.... And probably other lightni

I always avoided lightning when I first started.......I have to admit, the marble plastic and dated graphics was a turn off. It just looks like a dollar store frisbee in pictures...... The plastic feels nice and the marble plastic looks cool in person. The graphics still look dated, but the retro graphics have grown on me and they show the the intended flight path for the disc. Nothing wrong with these discs and there is probably some beginner gems to be had with lightning discs. Would be curious to know if they have closed the doors at lightning.

They closed up at least once before. I heard through the rumor mill that Steve was very ill at that point so everything closed up until he was better. I don't know if that is true or not and don't know if that is related at all to this recent shut down.

I hate to hear Lightning may be Tango Uniform. I cut my disc teeth on those discs. They were my first real discs when we switched over from lids. P-38 and an original Gumbputt were my first bagged discs.

Other than the occasional P-38, the only other Lightning disc that has survived all my swapping around are the Pro D-1's. I still have a couple of super beat DX #1 Driver and one semi freshy I think. I may have a #2 Driver somewhere, too. Other than that, I unloaded all the others at Disc Nation over the years. Nothing clicked like they did and the P-38's. I still have a P-38 stack, too...15 I think. Some are new and unthrown, too.:thmbup: They are safe...not going anywhere until I assume room temp...then my wife will have a HUGE sale I bet. :doh:

I like the old school Rubber Putters from the 80s and still carry it around occasionally. Actual rubber material used back then , unlike today.

Latest posts