• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Lightning Discs

JILF

I have seen many Lightning Discs at my local disc golf store, but I have never seen anyone playing with any of them. What is up with that? Are they just not of the same quality as Innova and Discraft? I know that Lightning hasn't made a new disc in like 8 years, but surely if they are still in business, people must be buying their discs. My question is does anyone who plays competitively use Lightning Discs, and if so which ones? Also, does Lightning have anything that is unique to them, maybe something that Innova and Discraft does not have?

I used to have a #1 flyer and loved it for a fairway driver and as an over handed fading disc. It flew similar to a Leopard for me.

The Upshot putter is a good putter to have if you invite a friend to play that has thrown a traditional Frisbee but has never thrown a DG putter.

Many of them float as well.

I carry a #2 Driver from lighting in my bag, mostly because it floats. It is a good disc, goes where I want it to and has a pretty hard fade at the end. I wouldn't call it a driver though, the flight is pretty similar to my KC Pro Roc. The plastic doesn't hold up to well though, so I keep it away from trees.

I use a Lightning #2 Upshot (in "Prostyle" plastic) as my main putter. It's a bit like a Classic Roc.

another upshot user here (i have 2 actually), and i also have a number 2 driver.

been playing with a #2 driver for about 11 years. its my upshot hyzer baby. dont throw it for a drive..use it for a reliable 150 ft or under mid right to left .

They have some decent discs, but nothing that is the best for any given disc slot. Their low end plastic isn't very good compared to the stuff that's out now, too.

I have a #2 Roller I still don't use it to roll. It is a good but not great fairway driver 150-200 pretty stable. I also have a #1 hyser not real overstable I use it around water because it floats. I also have a #2 driver good beginers disc alot like a shark IMO again it floats and glows.

I have a #2 Roller I still don't use it to roll. It is a good but not great fairway driver 150-200 pretty stable. I also have a #1 hyser not real overstable I use it around water because it floats. I also have a #2 driver good beginers disc alot like a shark IMO again it floats and glows.
# 2 Roller? Is it that HUGE disc? If it is, try using it as a thumb roller. It's a great disc for that.

The # 2 Driver is a really good disc. Slightly overstable fairway driver that floats. I think it's a lot faster and longer than a Shark, but then again I don't much care for Sharks. I think the # 2 Driver is pretty similar to a Roc.

BTW, gusc2375...is your avatar a logo for the 14 fund? I was a Blues season ticket holder when Doug Wickenheiser died. I used to have two dozen of the 14 fund buttons, but the logo was different.

Yes, I got it off the Blues page thought it was better than just a regular Blue note. I live 3 hrs. away and try to go to at least one game a year. I never got to see him play and never got a button. It is a good cause that donates a lot to help the community. Thanks for noticing.

the #2 is big, I also don't care much for the shark gave it away.

another upshot user here (i have 2 actually), and i also have a number 2 driver.

i have to correct myself here: i have a number 2 flyer, not a number 2 driver.

the flyer has such horrendous fade at the end, i think the disc actually starts going backwards at the end of the throw. if using innova's scale it'd be a 6 or 7. but for long/medium approaches, the flight path is predictable and it sits down fairly well.

i also have a number 2 slice that i swear by for (rhbh) anhyzer shots.

damn near got two aces using that thing.

Last edited:
U-2 Prostyle Upshot user here too.

I do have #1 Prostyle Driver but it was way too flippy for me.

I remember couple years ago when Lighting offered $5,000 to anyone who used their disc (#1 or #2 Drivers) to break the world distance record. I guess that offer fell apart when Innova made the impossible lucky distance record.

To answer one's question about what's the difference that Lighting has that others do not, I would say it was their materials and their trademark inner grip rim-lines.

I just got a #1 Roller today but haven't thrown it yet. I also have a Rubber Putter that I hate and only use in my living room, unless someone wants to buy it off me.

Although lightning discs are cheaper than most, the plastic seems to dent inward when it hits a tree or another object. I've got a #1 driver that isn't 2 months old and already looks like it has been chewed on by a giant. I wouldn't recommend them except for the Rollers.

I actually held one of their putters the other day and was impressed at just how sticky that plastic is. I have no idea how it reacts in the chains, but it seems like it would grab better than just about anything else I have held. On that same note it seems like dirt and grass would have to be hand picked off. Anyone use one of those and can tell us about it?

I have some a few of their other discs and was not to happy with the plastic on those.

Latest posts