• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Lightning Discs

After throwing them there Are some nice molds. They glide really well. Lightning makes up the majority of my friends glow bag. I hope they can keep going because they have some of the best beginner molds.

I like the old school Rubber Putters from the 80s and still carry it around occasionally. Actual rubber material used back then , unlike today.
I didn't see a Rubber Putter until the 90's. I still have a couple of the first batch I bought:

They were OK; I used a Hi-Flex one as a glow putter for a long time. I had a mostly Lightning bag at one point (Spitfire, F-8-F Bearcat, F-15 Eagle, B-25 Mitchell) but I had an 86 Softie in there as my putter. I just never clicked with the Rubber Putter.

I really liked the B-25 when it came out. Easy to throw and long for the time. Kinda similar to a Cheetah, but it was out before the Cheetah so when it was new it was sorta unique.

The stamp was badass, too.

The first batch of discs with the new stamps we got were B-25's.

I guess he had not decided on the #1/#2/#3 system by then.

The #1 Driver and #1 Flyer are both B-25's; the #1 Driver is a sharp nose and the #1 Flyer has a blunter nose and is a bit more stable. I threw the #1 Flyers, they flew better for me.

It funny what discs survive sometimes. Steve sent me a batch a disc one time that were light X-outs to use for a kids program. This one had a head shop stamp, so I didn't use it for the kids program and I threw it for a long time; it's a 161g B-25.

Most of the discs I threw from that time frame either were lost of given away a long long time ago. It's funny that this one is still around.

The Gas Pipe is where we used to get most of our discs in the early 90's.

Still liking my slice. I carry a bunch of under stable plastic and this disc fits nicely since my stingray has a began to turn a little too easy sometimes. There is a few 300 footers down the fence line at my local course with a r to l slope. So, turning over gets you an ob, and too much fade gets you out of bird distance quickly with ground sloping to the left. Beat roc or comet is good, but both can be risky on the fence line. The slice is perfect right now. I simply throw it right at the basket and if it gets a little too much turn it comes back to the basket, my comet may hold turn to end up ob. if I only get enough on the slice to hold straight, it doesn't fade a mile down the hill like my roc might do on same throw. It gets a nice slow turn on full throws , but still has a touch of come back. It will be a yummy 300 ft turn over when it holds turn just a little easier.

I am trying to find a Prostyle D-1 to replace my girlfriends favorite disc. It is listed as sold out on lightning's website. GGGT is out of stock as well as DGS. Is this disc OOP? Not sure what it is but she gets better distance out of a D-1 then a leopard or cheetah.

Id email or call GGGT to find out for sure. They have all the lightning molds i believe but not sure about what is being run. I know there was a ton of stock last time I was there.

For sure good luck! I think its a popular mold.. Well yeah. Lol.

Next time i go there im going to just buy a bunch of lightning molds and make a damn bag. I love that stupid upshot #1. The plastics are legit and priced so cheap. Why not?!

Id email or call GGGT to find out for sure. They have all the lightning molds i believe but not sure about what is being run. I know there was a ton of stock last time I was there.

Not to mention, with GGGT, check out the ebay page instead of the website, they actually individually list everything with a picture and weight so you can see exactly what you are getting.

IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg
Has anyone seen this beauty yet? Found it at a PIAS in Novi, MI. Check out the weight.

I know I use the pro style U-2 as it feels and throws like a Old Pro Rhyno without the thumbtack rim. I did use a #2 driver till lost it on water because the disc only floats for 15-20 minutes. I now use a Z and a ESP XL and it throws like a #2 driver would. My first putter was a Rubber Putter pre DuPont but I stopped using it and gave the though If I still had it I would use it as an approach disc, I now use a Stingray if i need a domed disc. I found eventually a better putter after going through 2 other putters one of them I tried to force on myself because I won the disc at a tournament stupid Elite-X Putt'r. I now use 2 magnets one was my brothers old one, a stiffer D one that I wish they made the newer D ones like. I Do know my dad has a #2 or #3 Hyzer disc that he uses or used to use. He also has a newer DuPont Rubber Putter becsue he uses the disc the way I would, an approach disc.

Last edited:
Was at GGGT yesterday and they had a decent amount of these for daaaa looow! Picked up a rubber putter and another heavy upshot 1. The 114g ive been messing with is fun but the heavy actually handles a little juice.

Only tossed the rubber putter around yard but am intrigued.. Seems faster and stable at 150' and in but larger diameter with nice glide. I had a really hard time with the driver/mid selection though. So many of the molds feel very shallow and/or have large bead like bottoms.

Where does one start when it comes to building up a lightning bag? Is there a mid/driver to be able to clycle like rocs/pds? Without any true premium like plastics it seems possible to do fairly easily. HELP?! :D

I went on a road trip four years ago where the first leg I was with just my young son. I was going to hit numerous small courses along the way, hopefully as many as possible, and I decided that I was going to get on and get off those courses. The best way to do that was to throw discs that I would have no issues walking away from if I lost them. I ended up playing with just a Rubber Putter #2 and a #1 Flyer. The putter was rather stable, especially in their glow plastic, and could handle everything for me 200 feet and less. The #1 Flyer surprised me by how well it flew, reminding me a lot of a Stalker or Gazelle. It was not going to win any distance competitions, but it was very accurate with a stable flight. Since I was playing the courses simply to play the course, those two covered everything I needed and I did not lose anything. I had an MX-1 as well, but that was an unpredictable flip machine, especially after its first gouge.

Was at GGGT yesterday and they had a decent amount of these for daaaa looow! Picked up a rubber putter and another heavy upshot 1. The 114g ive been messing with is fun but the heavy actually handles a little juice.

Only tossed the rubber putter around yard but am intrigued.. Seems faster and stable at 150' and in but larger diameter with nice glide. I had a really hard time with the driver/mid selection though. So many of the molds feel very shallow and/or have large bead like bottoms.

Where does one start when it comes to building up a lightning bag? Is there a mid/driver to be able to clycle like rocs/pds? Without any true premium like plastics it seems possible to do fairly easily. HELP?! :D

If you can get a #3 Hyzer and a #1 Helix those work pretty well. Those start out like a Roc and an Eagle(maybe a touch shorter), and of course beat into a good cycle. Never liked anything they made that was faster than the Helix though.

Thanks Aim for the information. We ended up ordering (9) of the lightest glow Prostyle D1's and (3) of the glow base plastic D1's (not sure what it's called) it should last her a life time :thmbup:.

Latest posts