• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Limb

tdortch

Bronze level trusted reviewer
So, we've been having this discussion during our rounds lately because it actually happened to a friend: He was playing with/against a guy. After the guy approached his disc, set his feet, etc, he reached out in front of him and cleared a branch that was dead and unattached but hanging in his line. It did not obstruct his arm, feet or anything else. Only his line of throw. And, it was approximately 2' in front of his line. So, basically, the guy cleared the path for his disc. He claimed it was legal because it was obstructing his line. We all call B.S. What do you guys think?

Thanks

B.S. Not allowed to move course objects in front of your lie even if they are dead and unattached.

B.S. Not allowed to move course objects in front of your lie even if they are dead and unattached.

Just for clarities sake, if the branch was shaped and placed in a way that part of it was also hanging down behind the lie interfering with the throwing motion, could you move it then?

Good question. I'll let the pros field it, but from what I understand, if something is obstructing your lie, and dead/unattached, you can move it. I don't think you can move something for your arm motion however.

If part of the unattached branch is on your lie or in your stance behind your marker, you can move ti even if the rest of it is in front of your lie.

Good question. I'll let the pros field it, but from what I understand, if something is obstructing your lie, and dead/unattached, you can move it. I don't think you can move something for your arm motion however.
You are allowed to contact objects in front of your lie during your arm follow through.

I think what he is asking is if you are allowed to move a branch that only obstructs your arm motion. Said branch is hanging in your stance both in front and behind your marker. Essentially, moving something to create a space for your arm to move through. That's the way I took it anyway.

"803.01 Obstacles And Relief
A. Obstacles to a Stance or Throwing Motion: With the exception of casual obstacles to a stance as described below, a player is not allowed to move any obstacle on the course….
B. Casual Obstacles to a Stance: A player may obtain relief only from the following obstacles that are on or behind the lie: …
802.04 Throwing from a Stance
A. A player must choose the stance that will result in the least movement of any part of any obstacle that is a permanent or integral part of the course. Once a legal stance is taken, the player may not move an obstacle in any way in order to make room for a throwing motion. It is legal for a player's throwing motion to cause incidental movement of an obstacle."

I think what he is asking is if you are allowed to move a branch that only obstructs your arm motion. Said branch is hanging in your stance both in front and behind your marker. Essentially, moving something to create a space for your arm to move through. That's the way I took it anyway.

Sounds kind of like when people clear some rocks/sticks away from their landing zone on a jump putt. I say it's illegal. They say it's a safety issue; they could slip and hurt themselves landing on those loose rocks. I say you don't have to do a jump putt.

In your case, the player is guaranteed a safe stance. He is not guaranteed a big follow through, a spot to land if he goes past his lie, or a clean look. If he thinks he's going to hit his arm on his follow through, then he should adjust his throw. Switch to a forehand or a roller, or change direction, or don't throw it as hard.

There is nothing about safety in the rules. That's never an excuse.

Here is the entire 803.01 rule:

803.01 Obstacles And Relief
Last updated: Friday, August 29, 2014 - 15:02

Obstacles to a Stance or Throwing Motion: With the exception of casual obstacles to a stance as described below, a player is not allowed to move any obstacle on the course. No relief is granted from park equipment (such as signs, trash cans, or picnic tables), which is considered to be part of the course. A player is allowed to request that other people remove themselves and/or their belongings from the player's stance or line of play.

Casual Obstacles to a Stance: A player may obtain relief only from the following obstacles that are on or behind the lie: casual water, loose leaves or debris, broken branches no longer connected to a tree, motor vehicles, harmful insects or animals, players' equipment, people, or any item or area specifically designated by the Director before the round. To obtain relief, the player must remove the obstacle if it is practical to do so. If it is impractical to move the obstacle, the player's lie may be relocated to the nearest lie which is no closer to the target, is on the line of play, and is not more than five meters from the original lie (unless greater casual relief is announced by the Director).

Course equipment may always be restored to its proper working order, including the clearing of obstacles.

A player shall receive one penalty throw, without a warning, for violation of an obstacle or relief rule.

A player who purposely damages any part of the course shall receive two penalty throws, without a warning. The player may also be disqualified from the tournament, in accordance with Section 3.3 of the Competition Manual.

Actually the bee hive example is a safety issue and is in the rules or q&a.

I see your point, but the relief is specifically from "harmful insects or animals". There is nothing that allows you do something specifically for the sake of "safety".

Latest posts