• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Lion

As I said above, I was extremely excited for the Lion.

I wanted a nice, glidey compliment to the Gilas in my bag.

I was disappointed... It has moderate glide, it actually somewhat OS and really just not that different from a Roc3.

I will keep testing it to see if I'm missing something... But for now, the Lion is not nearly as exciting as I was hoping.

I agree with you that it flies pretty close to a Roc3. The difference for me is that I feel more confident throwing it forehand. It is probably in my head but the vtech rim seems to handle wobble a little better than a normal Roc rim.

Sounds like I'll like this disc. Patiently waiting for dx or xt though.

I say this while not ever being a fan of innova.

Tried a friends 180g lion. The star plastic was gummier than i remember. Thrown with a fan grip. Winds 10-18mph.

Innova nailed it with this one. The stability was perfect. Its very predictable and glidey with a gentle straight/overstable flight path. Reminded me of a Wasp. I can see this being a workhorse mid. It was very trustworthy and controllable.

Maybe the modern Roc?

Anyone have a VRoc3 to compare against the Lion?

I would be very curious to compare the Lion side-by-side with a VRoc3, or a Rocamonga, or... does a VRocX3 officially exist? :wall:

I suspect they took one of the glut of VRoc molds introduced over the last few years, maybe one that didn't do so well or that was released in limited numbers, called it the Lion and gave it another go.

Plus, with the monkeying around with mold pieces to produce a straight/stable mid for Infinite, I imagine they probably ended up with some configurations that they liked enough to keep on the back burner for themselves.

The Lion feels much better in the hand than the other v-tech "discs." It's a more rounded profile that sits comfortable in your hand unlike the more sharp point you get with other molds.

I asked Innova essentially the question from my post above, and they responded quickly. Person states as far as they know it's a new mold.

Although they didn't specify, I can only imagine that at least part of it was cobbled from one of the other similar mids, can't say for sure, but apparently the Lion is not in fact a reboot.

Well either way this mold is awesome! I LOVE it. It's literally a straight mid with a fade 2 at the end.

I feel like most 0 turn discs want to start fading out fast and you have to really rip on them to get them to fly straight. This thing just wants to stay straight. Dare I say buzz like...????

I asked Innova essentially the question from my post above, and they responded quickly. Person states as far as they know it's a new mold.

Although they didn't specify, I can only imagine that at least part of it was cobbled from one of the other similar mids, can't say for sure, but apparently the Lion is not in fact a reboot.

It's pretty unique mold piece wise...I can't really identify anything. To me the Lion looks like they made a shallower Mako3 and slapped a bead on it.

I read jcassidy's remarks here, as well as the review he wrote on infinite's site. I skipped the Lion, choosing to stick with my Rocs and Mako3.

Is the Lion worth the look if I'm happy with those discs? The Lion would have to replace one of those 2 discs in order to make it into my bag.

I say this while not ever being a fan of innova.

Tried a friends 180g lion. The star plastic was gummier than i remember. Thrown with a fan grip. Winds 10-18mph.

Innova nailed it with this one. The stability was perfect. Its very predictable and glidey with a gentle straight/overstable flight path. Reminded me of a Wasp. I can see this being a workhorse mid. It was very trustworthy and controllable.

Maybe the modern Roc?

Is this the general consensus for the Lion? Mainly looking for comformation of plastic feel, as flight interpretation could vary.

Is this the general consensus for the Lion? Mainly looking for comformation of plastic feel, as flight interpretation could vary.

I tried one of the first to be released. Plastic may have changed.
I think my flight assessment was close. Sexton agrees with me and i posted this before he was filmed throwing them.

How dare you not trust an internet post by someone you never met

I think my flight assessment was close. Sexton agrees with me and i posted this before he was filmed throwing them.

When did I say I didn't trust you? :D

Seriously, seems most agree with you. And thanks for the tidbit on Sexton, I'll be searching that up. Again, I was more concerned with plastic, would love to hear more feedback.

Just looked through the thread for your comment.. didnt see it... How about you actually give us an assessment rather than just talk to talk.

Just looked through the thread for your comment.. didnt see it... How about you actually give us an assessment rather than just talk to talk.

someones eyes are broken

Lion is actually an "ok" name imo. Thats my assessment. Write it down

Welp, I snagged one of these blue star 180g (with the lion's head stamp) at my local shop...I'll admit, mainly because it looked sweet, but I picked it up and it felt a lot like my other mid (Alias by Axiom) just a bigger bead feel. I was feeling random so I figured why not try it, it felt decent. So I tested it out. Its a stable mid for sure, but not really that OS. I felt it flew like a 5/5/0/1.5 kinda flight. It held whatever you gave it, but unless you released it with hyzer it didn't seem that OS. Basically a straight flier with some stability to be reliable. 5/5/0/2 would be pretty accurate too. IDK, it seemed decent.

My Lion was a standard star feel.

Not firm. Not soft.

I like the Lion.
I don't love it...yet.

The more I throw it, the more I think it'd be a great one disc challenge mold.

That is good to know, often the one disc Challenge discs work well for people as driving/approach putter and if not really OS, as putting putter too.

DX Lions are a thing now...according to the Innova Dealer page. Might make me revisit this mold. I really liked the Star Lion I was throwing and I imagine it's a winner in base plastic.

DX Lions are a thing now...according to the Innova Dealer page. Might make me revisit this mold. I really liked the Star Lion I was throwing and I imagine it's a winner in base plastic.

Awesome.

In typical fashion, the Lion has grown on me a lot.

Instead of Rocs, I've been tossing a mid line up of :

Gila
Lion
Mako3

It's fast, reliable and really nice for my line drive style of play

Latest posts