• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

List your top 5 favorite courses

hidden lake changed quite a bit in the past few years

biggest improvement is concrete pads that were installed this year

however "they" gutted out 18 and its a terrible finishing hole (filler status hole too)

hole 4 and 6 (parallel fairways) have a huge chunk of trees missing

and hole 7 now has a big ass shed were the basket used to be so the whole hole shifted backwards (pad and basket)

11 is noticeably missing several trees

i love the course and i defend it but its definitely decreased in quality over the years even with the concrete addition

Played Hidden Lake in early May of this year for the first time on a road trip from KC. I remember standing on the clay tee pads thinking if this course ever gets concrete tee pads it may rival any wooded course I have ever played. After seeing the picture updates you provided and the information of concrete tees it has now become a high priority for me to get back to Saint Cloud. Hard to see from the pictures but if the tees are the quality of the ones at Montissippi, which I believe are my favorite concrete tees I have ever thrown from, Hidden Lake could possibly make my top 5. Also I will be searching out courses designed by Tim Mackey next time I visit Minnesota.

I figured it out:
1. Hillcrest (Prince Edward Island)
2. Maple Hill (MA)
3. Selah Ranch Lakeside (TX)
4. Idlewild (KY)
and a 6-way tie for last cash:
5. Brewster Ridge (VT)
5. Harmon Hills (TN)
5. Rollin Ridge (WI)
5. Hobbs Farm (GA)
5. Whistler's Bend (OR)
5. Harmony Bends (MO)

Those are ten of my favorite places on planet earth.

When did you play? It was better than I expected after reading reviews here and even more recent udisc ones.

18 & 19

Starting from the Rest Area, 8 n 9 are along the Low Washout with the Thicker Grass n Veg, and are kinda Hohum... but after that it just keeps surprising you with Quality Design, Unique Looking Fairways, and Basket Positions amongst the Ridge Rocks

And then the Bombers on Top, starting with 1s Teepad, and mixing those 'Cliff Birdy' chance holes in there... there's a Lot to enjoy about that DGC :)

I'm up to 215 courses (+30) in 9 states (+1).

I'd set Lake Marshall and Hawk Hollow as my two main targets for 2021, and thanks to Biscoe organizing a tournament at the latter, I was able to play both over the long weekend. I also made it down to Orlando for Am Worlds, and enjoyed those courses more than I'd expected. The much-lauded Diavolo also opened locally in late 2020, and has become one of my home courses. While all of these courses were outstanding, my top 5 ended up unchanged, which is a little surprising to me.

1. Harmon Hills - Fall Branch, TN
2. Mayflower Hills - Roanoke, VA
3. Panther Creek SP - Morristown, TN
4. Langley Pond - Burnettown, SC
5. Nevin - Charlotte, NC

Honorable mentions: Quaker's Challenge, Holston Creek, IDGC Jackson and Warner, Lake Marshall Lions and Lair, Hawk Hollow.

I think that wraps up almost every high-level course within a 4-hour drive of home. Changes to my list next year will probably either require significant travel, or revisits/reevaluations of my top dozen. About half of those top dozen are based on single visits, so there's certainly some wiggle room on them.

I'm up to 185 courses (+75 from last year's post) in 8 states (+1).
I'd set Ashe County, Harmon Hills, and the IDGC/Augusta courses as my targets for 2020, and I managed to hit all of them, the first two pre-pandemic.
Who knows what 2021 will look like, but at the very least I'd like to visit some of Virginia's private courses (Lake Marshall, The Blockhouse, etc.), if they're available.

Anyway, my new top 5 as of 2020:

5. Nevin - Charlotte, NC

Honorable mentions: Quaker's Challenge, Holston Creek, IDGC Jackson and Warner.

I'd set Lake Marshall and Hawk Hollow as my two main targets for 2021, and thanks to Biscoe organizing a tournament at the latter, I was able to play both over the long weekend. I also made it down to Orlando for Am Worlds, and enjoyed those courses more than I'd expected. The much-lauded Diavolo also opened locally in late 2020, and has become one of my home courses. While all of these courses were outstanding, my top 5 ended up unchanged, which is a little surprising to me.

5. Nevin - Charlotte, NC

Honorable mentions: Quaker's Challenge, Holston Creek, IDGC Jackson and Warner, Lake Marshall Lions and Lair, Hawk Hollow.

I think that wraps up almost every high-level course within a 4-hour drive of home. Changes to my list next year will probably either require significant travel, or revisits/reevaluations of my top dozen. About half of those top dozen are based on single visits, so there's certainly some wiggle room on them.

I just played Mayflower Hills over the Labor Day weekend. It easily jumps into my Top 5 courses played and I'm pretty sure it now takes the #1 spot on my list (giving it a few more days so I don't make a rash decision). Kudos to the designer, the local club, volunteers, park staff, and whoever makes that course so spectacular. I expected it to be really good and it easily exceeded my expectations.

1. Milligan Park - Crawfordsville
2. Hazel Landing - Carmel
3. Gibbs Memorial - Avon
4. Murdock Park - Lafayette
5. Big Walnut - Greencastle

I've yet to venture outside West Central Indiana but there's a surprising amount of decent courses within 90 minute drive.

I'm hoping to some day to take some trips to Idlewild, Lemon Lake, the Canyons, Harmony Bend, Northwood Park as their all 3-5 hour drives. Maybe Toboggan also

from Indianapolis myself
may i suggest
Fall Creek
Brookside Park
Bloomington Country Club(BC3)
Boylan Acres
Rockville Lake Park

this is just a few in central Indiana that would probably change your list of favorites if played.

from Indianapolis myself
may i suggest
Fall Creek
Brookside Park
Bloomington Country Club(BC3)
Boylan Acres
Rockville Lake Park

this is just a few in central Indiana that would probably change your list of favorites if played.

I'd add Camp Cullom and France Park to this list as well!

5. Nevin - Charlotte, NC

Harmon Hills would be my #2 after Maple Hill and I freaking loved Langley Pond. It would definitely make my top 10. I'm going to need to play Mayflower again. It gets a lot of love but after my first round there it wouldn't even make my top 20. I really didn't think it was a great design. But I'm headed back down to Harmon to play it during the Fall hopefully coinciding with peak Fall colors and I'll hit Mayflower again on the way back.

Contenders for the top 5 (might change tomorrow):

Hawk Hollow VA
Maple Hill MA
Harmon Hills TN
Nockamixon PA
Bucksnort CO
Whippin' Post WV
Moraine PA
Idlewild KY
Muddy Run PA
Milo (Riverbend) OR

Hmm. A few changes since 2018.

Caliber ID
Muddy Run PA
Idlewild KY
Wilderness WI
501 MA
Bucksnort/Bailey CO

OK I cheated on the last one. And yes, I can count, I just don't want to. ;)

Harmon Hills would be my #2 after Maple Hill and I freaking loved Langley Pond. It would definitely make my top 10. I'm going to need to play Mayflower again. It gets a lot of love but after my first round there it wouldn't even make my top 20. I really didn't think it was a great design. But I'm headed back down to Harmon to play it during the Fall hopefully coinciding with peak Fall colors and I'll hit Mayflower again on the way back.

Which layout did you play at Mayflower? Personal opinion - the white tees and short baskets, which I think is the mostly original layout, is the best by far. The last time I went, the long tees and long baskets seemed like tacked-on design afterthoughts that were far less interesting and fun, which I do mark against the course. Plenty of room for personal taste though too, of course. And though I have them close in ranking, I have Harmon clearly in a different tier above Mayflower.

Are you saying that you like Bryant Lake better than Flip City? I haven't played Flip yet but I hope that I like it better than Bryant.

I liked Bryant Lake better than Flip, yes. I am surprised you do not like Bryant Lake. It is not exceptional in the sense of difficulty - I think it is a great MA2 caliber course. But the installation and fun factor for me really boost it up the list.

Flip is fun and to play the "Field of Dreams" of disc golf is going to great for you if/when you play it. The disc golf itself is okay, nothing special. And being a private course, they can't afford the amenities you find at Bryant Lake. There are a few really cool holes though. If you are on the western side of Michigan and don't have time to play both Blue Gill and Flip, I'd try and get on Blue Gill.

I liked Bryant Lake better than Flip, yes. I am surprised you do not like Bryant Lake. It is not exceptional in the sense of difficulty - I think it is a great MA2 caliber course. But the installation and fun factor for me really boost it up the list.

Flip is fun and to play the "Field of Dreams" of disc golf is going to great for you if/when you play it. The disc golf itself is okay, nothing special. And being a private course, they can't afford the amenities you find at Bryant Lake. There are a few really cool holes though. If you are on the western side of Michigan and don't have time to play both Blue Gill and Flip, I'd try and get on Blue Gill.

I liked Bryant for sure but it wasn't really in consideration for my top 5. I just hope that I find Flip more interesting and more fun than I did Bryant.

Flip is about fun. It's challenging for the vast majority of players through MA2 or so, but if you're MA1 or higher, and challenge is what you're looking for, you'll question it's ratings.

We played the same layout. It could've been the fact that I was completely exhausted as well. It was the last stop on a disc golf road trip. I've noticed as I'm approaching 50 years old that I can't do it like I did 10 years ago. The days of playing 3 or 4 different courses are done for this guy. But yeah Harmon is on another level. But to me Mayflower relies too much on sloping hillsides for a challenge instead of quality hole design. I despise side slopes on multiple holes. Feels forced and contrived.

Last edited: