• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lloyd Weema article in Ultiworld Disc Golf

The guy is on some unexplained ego trip. Should have been stopped long ago IMO. Having spectators witness his play in conjunction with the top pros, is a black mark on the sport and shows the governing body doesn't take competition seriously as long it gets it's money.

Yeah it's almost embarrassing as spectators watching some Discmania sponsored douche who everyone says is the future of the sport break his hand punching the ground at the USDGC.

Why?

Still waiting for a valid answer to that question. Why is it needed? Or more so, why is it needed now?

It's not a pace of play thing because, as proponents are saying, it's not a significant number of people who are now barred from these events. Cutting out one or two players per event isn't going to speed things up noticeably.

It's not a supply/demand issue, as none of these events are turning away more skilled players because these under-skilled players are signing up.

It's not a professionalism/image thing because if it were, why hasn't a similar floor been imposed on FPO? Why is MPO's image of "professionalism" more important than FPO?

I'm not against this because I'm an advocate of Lloyd Weema or any other sub-900 rated player. I fully believe that someday we're going to get to a point in the game's growth where restricting the highest level events will be necessary. I just don't think we're anywhere close to that point yet, and like I keep saying, doing it now is putting the cart before the horse.

How about this theory: The PDGA was worried that fan voting was going to get Weema on a 1st round filmed card in a "high profile" event.

:popcorn:

I am on a plane waiting to leave Augusta so I can try to explain more later. But I will say that there were several touring players in the room that spoke heavily in favor of this change. In addition the touring pros in the room literally applauded the vote as soon as the roll call was announced. This is a move to make things more professional for our touring players and this was supported by PDGA staff and the BOD. This:

-Avoids situations where touring players play with novice rated players who throw shots that slow down the group enough to cause touring pros to lose focus. Imagine a wooded course such as WR Jackson and an 850 rated player playing that course. The group would spend considerable time looking for discs in the woods.
-Avoids situations where lower rated players are playing courses simply not suitable for their talent level. For example, a sub 900 rated player most likely cannot carry the water on several shots at Eureka. The same could be said for Fountain Hills Hole #1.
-Makes sure that people who can compete to cash in these events are allowed to play. Let's not forget that several Elite events fill up every year (Ledgestone, Idlewild, BSF, Santa Cruz, GBO, etc)

The last point is probably the most important. Many top level events are now filling up and some of them fill up months in advance. Having sub 900 rated players take the spots of touring pros is not acceptable. Yes, there is tiered registration. Sometimes touring pros simply don't have the money to pay for the entry at that time. This gives a few more opportunities to avoid those situations.

I just think this is evidence that the PDGA can't decide if it represents all of its members or just the tip of the iceberg. I support players doing what they think is best for their Tour but is it "their" Tour? The desire for a bunch of (or maybe a few) people outside the players to make the sport more professional is an inevitable thing but does not interest me at all. I guess the thinking is that professional = more $$$$ to go around to those with a stake.

I am on a plane waiting to leave Augusta so I can try to explain more later. But I will say that there were several touring players in the room that spoke heavily in favor of this change. In addition the touring pros in the room literally applauded the vote as soon as the roll call was announced. This is a move to make things more professional for our touring players and this was supported by PDGA staff and the BOD. This:

-Avoids situations where touring players play with novice rated players who throw shots that slow down the group enough to cause touring pros to lose focus. Imagine a wooded course such as WR Jackson and an 850 rated player playing that course. The group would spend considerable time looking for discs in the woods.
-Avoids situations where lower rated players are playing courses simply not suitable for their talent level. For example, a sub 900 rated player most likely cannot carry the water on several shots at Eureka. The same could be said for Fountain Hills Hole #1.
-Makes sure that people who can compete to cash in these events are allowed to play. Let's not forget that several Elite events fill up every year (Ledgestone, Idlewild, BSF, Santa Cruz, GBO, etc)

The last point is probably the most important. Many top level events are now filling up and some of them fill up months in advance. Having sub 900 rated players take the spots of touring pros is not acceptable. Yes, there is tiered registration. Sometimes touring pros simply don't have the money to pay for the entry at that time. This gives a few more opportunities to avoid those situations.

if players lose focus thats on them

lay up or take a penalty

also ive played with throwers who bomb 600 but cant hit a fairway to save their life

looking in the **** at 300 ish ft is much easier than at 600 ish ft

wait is this about power or rating or what is this really about again

I just think this is evidence that the PDGA can't decide if it represents all of its members or just the tip of the iceberg. I support players doing what they think is best for their Tour but is it "their" Tour? The desire for a bunch of (or maybe a few) people outside the players to make the sport more professional is an inevitable thing but does not interest me at all. I guess the thinking is that professional = more $$$$ to go around to those with a stake.

So, one limit on how high up you can play > about eleventy limits that keep better players out of most divisions?

So, one limit on how high up you can play > about eleventy limits that keep better players out of most divisions?

I don't think I said that (or didn't intend to). I get why the pro players would be for the rule. I also get why people want to please the pros. But Open should be open.

why stop at 900 then?

Or all players should be able to compete in what is by name an OPEN division.

I agree; a human-ape hybrid cyborg jacked up on a speedball throwing 34 mm rimmed discs made out of Titanium and I would be happy... as long as foot faults and courtesy violations are called.

I think it's a good move for the long run. They are applying it only to the highest of tournaments. I am surprised they left out a few other majors.

For those who say "Open" means open. Do you think Simon Lizotte can play in the FPO division in his next tournament?

How about this theory: The PDGA was worried that fan voting was going to get Weema on a 1st round filmed card in a "high profile" event.

:popcorn:

Don't the TDs (and/or the tours and/or the PDGA) choose the players who are eligible for that fan voting? I've never seen an option to write in a candidate for feature cards. If Weema were voted on to a feature card, it would be because they made him an option.

Speaks more to the professionalism of the touring players than to the abilities of those playing with them.

This determination should be left to tournament directors to make.

They all have ample ability to register prior to the Lloyds of the world getting in.

There is more to professionalism than just being good at throwing a frisbee. Paying entry fees is part of it. If they can't afford to pay then perhaps they should reconsider their choices in life. This whole thing just shows how little understanding some touring players have of what allows them to stay on the road and their responsibilities (yes, responsibilities other than showing up and throwing frisbees gooder than the rest) to the game in turn for the opportunity to play disc golf for a living.

he's not that bad at all. he doesn't say "like" or "um" all the time and he communicates pretty clearly. there are some strange pauses but the slight awkward and unsure vibe seems more of his personality than his speech.

It's sad that disc golfers believe if you are a bad golfer you are not successful. I've dealt with it myself. I'm way worse of a golfer than one of our local pros that lives at home with his parents, but I'm way more successful in my work and home life. My focus is not on disc golf, that's for sure.

Why?

Still waiting for a valid answer to that question. Why is it needed? Or more so, why is it needed now?

It's not a pace of play thing because, as proponents are saying, it's not a significant number of people who are now barred from these events. Cutting out one or two players per event isn't going to speed things up noticeably.

It's not a supply/demand issue, as none of these events are turning away more skilled players because these under-skilled players are signing up.

It's not a professionalism/image thing because if it were, why hasn't a similar floor been imposed on FPO? Why is MPO's image of "professionalism" more important than FPO?

I'm not against this because I'm an advocate of Lloyd Weema or any other sub-900 rated player. I fully believe that someday we're going to get to a point in the game's growth where restricting the highest level events will be necessary. I just don't think we're anywhere close to that point yet, and like I keep saying, doing it now is putting the cart before the horse.

Disc golf is no where near popular enough to restrict entries. Several years off. That's if it keeps growing.

Since Lloyd can not donate to the pros anymore, I believe the rest of us should quit donating to the pros (however it is you donate). Save your money and donate to local parks and clubs.