• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Local Disc Golfer Missing-Pacific Coast Trail

Jay Dub

* Ace Member *
We had some rough weather for several days that week. 1 1/2 in. of rain Oct. 13th in Seattle. For sure even more rain or wet snow above Packwood.

More details from media in the area.

http://www.lewiscountysirens.com/?p=38821

Lewis County Sirens news reporter

CHEHALIS – Searchers are on the ground looking for a Pacific Crest Trail hiker who hasn't checked in or been heard from in almost three weeks, when he left a convenience store near White Pass.

Kris Fowler began his trek five and a half months ago in Mexico and is heading north to Snoqualmie Pass, according to the Yakima County Sheriff's Office. His trail name is "Sherpa".

Search and Rescue Coordinator Sgt. Randy Briscoe said he's got teams out on the trail today.

Yesterday he had help from citizens in Packwood who made the 26-mile hike from White Pass to Chinook Pass," he said.

"Folks in Packwood are organizing another search from Snoqualmie to Chinook Pass, I'm told," Briscoe said this morning.

Fowler, who is 34 years old according to his step mother, lives near her in the Dayton, Ohio area. He started his travels with a college friend but they agreed they may or may not stick together the entire way, Sally Guyton Fowler said.

"He and I had a deal we'd keep in touch," Guyton Fowler said. "I talked to him the end of September and he texted a friend on Oct. 12."

By the end of last week she and his father began to get worried, she said.

The family reached out to the Lewis County Sheriff's Office on Friday and a deputy checked the area and then learned Fowler had been at the Cracker Barrel store on U.S. Highway 12 near White Pass on Oct. 12, according to the sheriff's office.

The minimart is on the east side of the county line, so they notified the Yakima County Sheriff's Office of the information they had, as well as Pierce County.

Sgt. Briscoe said he was notified on Sunday of the possibly missing hiker.

Briscoe said he learned Fowler had been to the store on Oct. 10, asked for a ride into Packwood to get supplies and then returned to the store two days later. He was last seen walking out of the Cracker Barrel at 3 p.m. on Oct. 12, he said.

"He told the clerk he was going to proceed to Snoqualmie Pass," Briscoe said.

Briscoe said he has aircraft ready to go, but yesterday and this morning, they were grounded because of the weather.

There's been no activity on Fowler's cell phone, he said.

Briscoe said the trail from White Pass to Snoqualmie Pass is 102 miles, he's told. His step mother said he'd previously been moving 20 to 25 miles each day.

There was a terrible storm on Oct. 14, so Fowler could have decided to hunker down, Briscoe said.

"Maybe he's not overdue, maybe he's just trudging through and we'll see him come out," Briscoe said.

Meanwhile, sheriff's office's in Pierce and Kittitas counties have been notified and Briscoe is trying to get as many people and agencies along the route involved as he can.

Fowler is 6-foot 2-inches tall and 150 pounds, with blond hair and a modest beard.

Lewis County Sheriff's Office Chief Deputy Bruce Kimsey said this morning that one of his sergeants learned from the Cracker Barrel clerk that Fowler also made a comment about maybe going to Naches to get work at a winery.

"She felt he headed north though," Kimsey said.

Guyton Fowler was getting on a plane today and plans to stay at the Packwood Inn.

"They want me there in support, in case he needs medical attention," she said.

Impressed that he is attempted the PCT. And he is doing what he loves despite the outcome. He'll definitely be in my thoughts. And I remember the good ole days of living on the trail.

Scary situation... will keep him in my thoughts.

As both a backpacker and disc golfer I really feel for him and his family. Hopefully he will show up unscathed with an interesting story to tell. I hope for the best.

We had some rough weather for several days that week. 1 1/2 in. of rain Oct. 13th in Seattle. For sure even more rain or wet snow above Packwood.

I was thinking the same thing, it's been nasty lately.

BTW OP it's the pacific crest trail not pacific coast trail.

BTW OP it's the pacific crest trail not pacific coast trail.
That makes a big difference, maybe now they'll find him.

They started a GoFundme page also.

That makes a big difference, maybe now they'll find him.

They started a GoFundme page also.

Thanks for not providing a link, makes a big difference, maybe they'll find him now :rolleyes:

Trolling this thread, Bizz? Real classy.

Hope your pride is intact. Seems like it's been on life support lately.

Nice to see the 'pile on bizz' show is still in town. Not trolling just providing correct information and some get their feelings hurt, oh well. Let's move on to talking about the lost hiker on the Pacific Coast Trail [sic] .....

Kris Fowler Gofundme:

https://www.gofundme.com/bring-kris-fowlersherpa-home

Trolling this thread, Bizz? Real classy.

Hope your pride is intact. Seems like it's been on life support lately.

??? Didn't seem like trolling... If I was the missing person, having the correct information out there would be important to me. The rest of your post is, well, real classy. :\

New flyer from two hours ago.

This is the new updated flyer. Please help bring Kris / Sherpa home. Please use this flyer for now on print it, paste it, email it whatever you need to do please get it out there. The search is still on.

Attachments

• Kris Fowler poster.JPG
    Kris Fowler poster.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 94