• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] LoL at Anthon Destroyer back in stock

Furthermore, there seems to be a HUGE glut of collector discs coming out from Innova right now. Destroyers, Firebirds, Teebirds, you name it. Heck, you could just collect different fancy star Destroyers and easily have 20 different ones. The variety of collector discs coming out is insane. And even from the moment of release they go for $30 or so.

The purpose of the tour series discs is that the players receive a chunk of money in order to stay afloat and make it to events. The best way to maximize how much they can provide to their sponsored players is to sell directly off of their own site.

I wouldn't say that's them being greedy and trying to cut out the little guy...it's them trying to take care of their own. I'm sure somebody will chime in, but I don't believe vendors get a price break on tour series stuff, and if they do it's very very minimal. Why sell a tour sponsorship disc to a retailer at say 10 bucks, and let them sell it for 20, and the player gets no cut of the retailer's mark up?

I think whenever Innova needs a quick money grab they just release fancy discs like this and build up collector hysteria. I doubt (unfortunately) that Innova cares who buys them. And I think you're right that its certain groups buying up huge lots of discs to flip for profit.

I guess what it eventually comes down to are collectors and players deciding how bad they really want a certain disc. How much money they're willing to put into a disc they'll probably never throw.

If Innova really wanted to get their collector discs into the hands of normal players they'd ship them to actual stores that sell discs. Not just internet retailers. Instead, Innova produces the discs and sells them straight from their own online store.

Yeah the argument is that the players get the greater part of the profit if Innova sells it off the Factory Store. We actually have no idea what percentage of the sales of Tour Series discs go to the touring pros, so there's no use conjecturing whether Innova themselves makes any substantial profit from selling these or not. Their language on the disc listings just says "A substantial portion of each sale will benefit X and his/her touring efforts." Whether or not Innova themselves take a cut of the profits, the one thing we can say for sure is that there is no retailer taking a cut which I think makes it seem likely that the pro is getting more of the money than they would if these were sold at retail instead of Innova's website.

I think another part of the equation is that Innova wants to keep these out of retail stores to keep from competing with stock stamped discs (where Innova make most of the profit). If these were readily available in shops for a couple dollars more than stock stamped discs, I think a lot of people would choose to buy the tour series disc rather than the regular disc because they look cooler. So the stores would end up ordering loads more tour series discs and Innova's own profits would suffer.

OK, here's the ultimate question... who buys these discs to throw vs. collect? Glow Firebirds, Teebirds, swirly star Destroyers, Thunderbirds... ETC.

For what its worth, the collector discs really are gorgeous. That much I can say.

Oh, and as long as Innova collects money from their pro shop (and distributes some of it to their pros as mentioned), I bet they don't care if some faceless entity is spending thousands of dollars on half their stock of collector discs simply to jack the price up and sell them online elsewhere.

OK, here's the ultimate question... who buys these discs to throw vs. collect? Glow Firebirds, Teebirds, swirly star Destroyers, Thunderbirds... ETC.

For what its worth, the collector discs really are gorgeous. That much I can say.

Oh, and as long as Innova collects money from their pro shop (and distributes some of it to their pros as mentioned), I bet they don't care if some faceless entity is spending thousands of dollars on half their stock of collector discs simply to jack the price up and sell them online elsewhere.

There's a new group of Facebook weirdos that have screwed up the collector market.

These guys get boners from having 30 first run Thunderbirds in a tub or keeping me Firebirds in a frame.

There's a new group of Facebook weirdos that have screwed up the collector market.

These guys get boners from having 30 first run Thunderbirds in a tub or keeping me Firebirds in a frame.

I agree, it will only get worse till it gets better. Now they also do this with the first runs of some discs that just came out as of late like with the Aviar x 3, the ROC X 3 and a few other discs. Some are even hording discs like the old G9i not worth more then $20 just due to the fact some players really want that disc :(

The Discraft market seems to be untouched :confused:

Last edited:
I agree, it will only get worse till it gets better. Now they also do this with the first runs of some discs that just came out as of late like with the Aviar x 3, the ROC X 3 and a few other discs. Some are even hording discs like the old G9i not worth more then $20 just due to the fact some players really want that disc :(

The Discraft market seems to be untouched :confused:

Well, it's Free Enterprise, with all the risks pertaining thereto. They pays their money and they takes their chances...

Well, it's Free Enterprise, with all the risks pertaining thereto. They pays their money and they takes their chances...

I know too, Just confused as to why It is mostly Innova and a few other disc brands. Not many others are being touched like say Discraft though they are a top brand on the market of Disc Golf.

OK, here's the ultimate question... who buys these discs to throw vs. collect? Glow Firebirds, Teebirds, swirly star Destroyers, Thunderbirds

I don't buy many of them, but if I do I certainly intend to throw them. Sexton firebirds are the bomb, and I'm gonna learn me a distance roller with these Barsby roadrunners. I think it's sad that some discs never get to feel the air.

I don't buy many of them, but if I do I certainly intend to throw them. Sexton firebirds are the bomb, and I'm gonna learn me a distance roller with these Barsby roadrunners. I think it's sad that some discs never get to feel the air.

I agree. Whatever collector quality discs I have, I found in lakes over the years. I don't spend money on collector discs.

I'm not gonna fault people who collect discs, but if I buy them its to throw. I'd get antsy looking at that swirly Thunderbird (or whatever) and always wonder how it flies.

I wonder how all these recent collector releases will stand the test of time.

I'm gonna learn me a distance roller with these Barsby roadrunners. I think it's sad that some discs never get to feel the air.

Perhaps equally sad to doom a disc to life amongst the roots and goose droppings? Can the poor Roadrunner not be allowed to spread it's stubby wings as well?

As far as secondary market goes, the disc makers don't really have much control over that. All it takes are a couple people causing a frenzy online to get prices increasing. I think the 10 year destroyers are a good example of that.

If anything, maybe you'll start seeing a price difference between the team star and team champion discs. I think people would still pay $25 apiece before shipping for a Sexton firebird. Not necessarily a move to slow down the collector market, but if people are paying more than that on the secondary market why not increase the price by a few bucks and make the money the first time through.

As far as secondary market goes, the disc makers don't really have much control over that. All it takes are a couple people causing a frenzy online to get prices increasing. I think the 10 year destroyers are a good example of that.

They could sell them retail and explain each release is either limited edition or special runs without limits etc.

Their factory store is the biggest controller of that supply so yes they have a lot of control over what flippers are doing by even limiting the amouny purchased if a LE item. Ive turned down selling multiple LE molds in order to make other customers happy.

Innova doesn't give a ****.

Is anything currently in the factory store actually limited? They seem to continually restock the popular stuff.

The flipping market is just for dummies and people that can't wait a month.

Is anything currently in the factory store actually limited? They seem to continually restock the popular stuff.

The flipping market is just for dummies and people that can't wait a month.

I guess if supplies of any hot selling disc start going low, all Innova has to do is go make some more. They have the molds, plastic, and stamps available.

I guess if supplies of any hot selling disc start going low, all Innova has to do is go make some more. They have the molds, plastic, and stamps available.

Seems like a different model these days.

Maybe for everything other than usdgc rocs

I bought a Koling Thunderbird, for a role in cleaning up my FH and for a distance FB line. I also picked up a couple McPro Roc3s, though KC Rocs do the same thing for me. I won a PM MF TeeBird3 and once I realised it was the same PLH as my Champ TeeBird and not as OS as the previous Champ T3s I decided to hang it in my dorm for now.

If I had more $$$ I would probably have a Sexton FB and possibly a Philo or Anthon Destroyer. Sexton FBs are great, but I can get a Star to do the same thing, though I don't use it frequently enough to bag, though I'm starting to see where it could be useful. I've never thrown a Philo or Anthon Destroyer but I've heard great things about the Philos and the Anthons should be great.

There's like four or five places selling regular shimmer star destroyers for $12 or so

Latest posts