• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Long Putts: lofting it in or powering thru?

jdizzle3id

In the past, on a 50-75 ft putt(which is way beyond my range), I have always sort of lofted the throw up with the expectation of missing but having a very close follow up shot. Today I said "F***-it" and just powered through the putt as if I was 5-10 ft away (to keep the shot flat). To my suprise, I actually hit 4 out of the 6 putts I had from about 50-75 feet(maybe more maybe less). Of course on the misses, my follow up shots were much further than if I had "layed up" but still beat my average on 18 score by 2-3 strokes(I played 36 today). I understand that terrain and weather play a big part in shot selection and that everyone putts differently but I still want to know what you guys think about on longer putts. Do you throw it harder to keep the putt straight and low, or do you loft it to ensure a good follow up shot? Or am I just such a novice that I can't do both? Also, I throw a 174 SS Wizard as my putter. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

jdizzle3id said:
In the past, on a 50-75 ft putt(which is way beyond my range), I have always sort of lofted the throw up with the expectation of missing but having a very close follow up shot. Today I said "F***-it" and just powered through the putt as if I was 5-10 ft away (to keep the shot flat). To my suprise, I actually hit 4 out of the 6 putts I had from about 50-75 feet(maybe more maybe less). Of course on the misses, my follow up shots were much further than if I had "layed up" but still beat my average on 18 score by 2-3 strokes(I played 36 today). I understand that terrain and weather play a big part in shot selection and that everyone putts differently but I still want to know what you guys think about on longer putts. Do you throw it harder to keep the putt straight and low, or do you loft it to ensure a good follow up shot? Or am I just such a novice that I can't do both? Also, I throw a 174 SS Wizard as my putter. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

As Feldberg said, you need both putts because it depends on the situation. If you're blowing by into an area out of your comfort zone, I'd lean towards lofts. Once you are landing your other shots within your comfort zone there's no reason not to go for it if the risk isn't too great (i.e. huge hill behind the basket!).

Perhaps I was just looking for an easy answer when experience is what really counts here. So let me change the question. What factors do you consider on a longer putt(outside of your comfort range) and how do you decide between lofting it toward the basket for a better follow up shot and powering through the point of aim for the chance of glory?

The lie around the basket.
flat green/uphill/stuff behing the basket to stop your disc = Go for it!
downhill putt/rocky terrain that may cause a roll away/bad shule or water behind the basket/too windy to judge = loft it

jdizzle3id said:
Perhaps I was just looking for an easy answer when experience is what really counts here. So let me change the question. What factors do you consider on a longer putt(outside of your comfort range) and how do you decide between lofting it toward the basket for a better follow up shot and powering through the point of aim for the chance of glory?

Having played all winter running from 150' and in basically each time when there's no danger around the basket with jump putts that also have the arm going to the left side and shoulders turning minimally at the short reach back I can tell that ground conditions matter a lot. The snow here has partially melted, iced, new soft fallen on top then thawed again icing then again new snow on top so it's layered. Despite stomping the snow actually jumping forward seems to generate more power and has on occasion crashed through the lowest ice layer which wasn't broken while stomping :-( Footing and the ground conditions matter all through the year everywhere. Be aware of where you are. Those long runs necessarily need lofting even with the 166 DX Rancho Roc I've tuned to fade minimally at the end.